Author Topic: OTC 2014..What do you think?  (Read 25001 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
OTC 2014..What do you think?
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:13:09 AM »
I have moved our OTC "ideas" into this thread. Due to the way the forum merge feature works, some of the posts have been re-arranged in order of the chronological age on the forums. Sorry for the confusion.

______

I agree that the tree could be a lot better though... It was cool for the first year, but it's already been surpassed by a long shot so most people aren't impressed any more. It's not as timeless of a design as the previous iteration. Incorporating the area into the display was a good improvement though. The technology, or at least the logistics tech behind it all has made some significant strides in a short period of time. The big flashing blocky-look is getting dated fast. I think the old tree was more timeless, so maybe they can go back to something like that with more advanced lighting within the next few years.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:37:30 AM by shavethewhales »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
(OTC 2014 to be moved)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:35:44 AM »
I think tree is older than 3 or 4 years....( time moves along so fast anymore)

IF they could just change up music and light patterns.... the tree would be fine IMHO....   (after all it is all computer controlled now anyway. Right?)

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
(OTC 2014 to be moved)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 08:43:46 AM »
I've never been impressed with something that resembles the shape of a tree, but in no way really looks like one. I know my opinion doesn't hold much, but what I'd like to see is a very big artificial tree that looks like a real tree and has a really nice LED light show. I think it's pretty amazing what some of the new LED lights can do on Ferris Wheels....now just use that same technology and put it on a 70' Christmas Tree.

Jay

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
(OTC 2014 to be moved)
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »
The tree has gotten so hum drum for us that we do not even venture up to see the ceremony anymore. I really hope they work on something else soon. But, it still seems to draw a big crowd so the PTB might see this as a excuse to keep everything as is. I would also like to see new and different shows added for Christmas, the ones we have now are getting long in the tooth. Off topic I know.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
OTC 2014..What do you think?
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 03:39:12 PM »
We have been doing some discussion on the trip review thread so decided to start this one up new..

We talked about the Tree.. new in 2007.  what do you think about it?

What about the new Parade? thoughts? opinions?   Pictures anyone?

What about the fact the food vendors close at 7:30?

What about the shows? time for new ones? keep them? add some?

personally I like the show selection we have now, yes The Christmas Carol is an "old" production, but it is done so well and the stage is done in excellent form, I like it.. I can watch it a couple of times in 1 year and enjoy it...  As well as the new "its a wonderful Life"...  it is well done, and the actors do a good job.  The Live Nativity is a great event..  So I am not sure what "new" show would need to be added.....

Maybe bring "Tinker" back!! ;)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:40:05 PM by sanddunerider »

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: OTC 2014..What do you think?
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »
I caught the saloon show with Shave, and it is an all NEW show. The middle had some chaos in it, but over all refreshing  :D
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 05:54:31 PM »
What kind of new show?  Let's use the Riverside Playhouse/Courthouse again with the great old music of the Ozarks revue like the shows they did in the past.  They did some great shows in that theater, but they don't seem to care that even exists now.  With that, I can't say it enough, please bring another show in the summer, as well!  For the Glory, Headin' West, and others were the standard for the City not so long ago, and now we get...Pure Heart, Sons of the Silver Dollar, and Cajun Connection.  We used to get all of that AND a well-produced show to boot.  Cartoon characters?  Please!  Unique and quality are the names of the game.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 06:07:03 PM »
Had not heard the saloon show is a new one yet.. I will put it on the "have to see" list for sunday....

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 07:28:31 PM »
OTC SHOWS

-Dickens: I am ready for the show to get a reboot and be refreshed.  I don't want the show to go away, but I think some new songs, new staging/props/effects would be good for it.  It is still a great production - but I can literally quote and sing the entire production.

-Wonderful Life: It is probably the "tightest" it has been with this year's cast.  I was very impressed with the show and will definitely make a point to see it again on my next visit

-Fa-la-la-la-Follies:  All NEW show.  This is probably one of the best, if not the best, of the Christmas Saloon Shows in the last 10 years.  Pretty much all new material.  Some great gags and audience participation.  A Must See

-Living Nativity: I am ready for a new show here.  I want the Living Nativity to still have a presence in the park, but they have been doing this same musical rendition since they went away from the "in the round" format in Heritage Hall. 

-Parade: I like the new floats, but the soundtrack leaves me very underwhelmed.  The parade feels more sterile too - almost too commercialized.

-Tree: I like the music - but I think it is time to upgrade the pattern work.  I don't see why the light show is restricted to square patterns.  I am sure they are more than capable of doing imagery on the tree or even mapping.  I think it is time to go the next step -- shoot they could even do mapping on the area buildings.

-Cajun Christmas: I'm not a fan of their normal show, so not sure why I would like the Christmas edition.  I think it would be cool to do a "World Fest" style Christmas here.  Who wouldn't like to hear Steel Drum renditions of Christmas Carols? Mariachi bands playing Feliz Navidad and the like?

-Frosty:  It's horrible, but the kids like it.  I guess it can stay.
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 07:41:41 PM »
Swoosh-  great list...  you covered most of it.!

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 08:08:55 PM »
The tree- I agree it is time to take it to the next level. The newer technology out there could make this a total immersion event. Now it is just ho hum.

Dickens- not a good judge here because I am simply tired of this story in any shape or form. Seen it in to many forms over the years. I could care less if I ever see another rendition of Dickens. Write a new original show and get rid of it.

Wonderful life- this one still has some time left. Still a good show

Saloon show- have not seen this years version. Glad to hear that there is a new show.

Cajun connection- have never seen the Christmas version.

Nativity- change it up some, but it will always be a part of the season.

Parade - I will wait to see what this years version is like. I was getting tired of the old one though.

We do not eat at the park, but it seems like they are losing a lot of opportunity if they close that early.

I know a lot of people come for just the lights, but I find the park lacking in things to do at Christmas time. I really wish that there were more indoor dark rides that could operate in any weather.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
(OTC 2014 to be moved)
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 09:22:41 PM »
It appears that I'm in the minority.  I still love the tree and the lighting. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
(OTC 2014 to be moved)
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 01:43:05 AM »
OH! don't get me wrong, I still like the tree, and I watch the lighting ceremony...

BUT after 6 or 7 years of the same songs and lighting sequence, it would be nice to fire up the puter, load up new songs and reprogram the lights...

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
(OTC 2014 to be moved)
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 07:29:32 AM »
BUT after 6 or 7 years of the same songs and lighting sequence, it would be nice to fire up the puter, load up new songs and reprogram the lights...
At least.....

Bogart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 10:06:19 AM »
I would imagine that new more intricate patterns on the tree would require a physical upgrade compared to just computer programming.  The lights are on the tree in blocks. Just like pixels on a TV, each pixel (or block) can be lit individually.  I'm not sure that anything smaller than the squares on the tree could be lit to a pattern without upgrading the tree to much smaller squares.