Author Topic: Dollywood Hints at Another Huge Attraction in 2016  (Read 37718 times)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Re: Dollywood Hints at Another Huge Attraction in 2016
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2016, 10:42:03 PM »
Yeah its too bad LR has been the victim of all this bad publicity. Seems like a great coaster. Its starting to look like an epic fail to many from what I can tell over all the down time its suffering from.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2016, 10:56:32 PM »
Once it is reliable no one is going to care how much of a headache it was to get it to that point.

See also: X2, TTD, etc
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2016, 03:23:08 AM »
Once it is reliable no one is going to care how much of a headache it was to get it to that point.

See also: X2, TTD, etc

I see a lot of enthusiasts saying this, but it doesn't make any sense. I mean, from our perspective it doesn't matter. We can wait it out and will forget about the troubles it had as we watch the next round of big new things open. But for DW this is damaging and there will be some lingering issues from it. So many people have abandoned trips this year because of the LR issues. They are still up 10%, but who knows how much more they would have had if it had been running by at least May. So many of the people that did come anyway have been complaining about how they could have gone other places instead and how DW didn't live up to their expectations. So that's just driving people to Carowinds next year.

TTD and X2 were both at huge roller coaster parks that already had tons of things to do, and they were WAY more ambitious rides anyway so the public was more understanding.

It certainly doesn't help the resort get off the ground either. So many people were coming in just for the coaster and planned to stay at the resort as well.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2016, 03:20:11 PM »
At the very least, the Lightning Rod issue might be simple false advertising - not that they meant for this to happen, but still to promise a big thing and not deliver...maybe those ticket prices should be lowered until it's reliable.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2016, 04:31:44 PM »
I think it absurd that one would allow one closed attraction to completely ruin your visit.  Dollywood is practically the same as it was last year with LR closed.  So you're basically telling me that every season before now people were unable to have an enjoyable time because LR did not exist yet?  No because that's ridiculous.  The park is still amazing even without LR. Can you be disappointed? Sure.  However to let it be the defining factor in your day being ruined is nuts.  I visited DW 3 times this year.  2 of those times I did not get to ride LR but I still had a great time.  The 3rd time I lucked out and got to ride it but even had I not, I would still have enjoyed my day because DW is an awesome park.  Shoot even my parents like it and they don't go to parks outside of SDC which they have season passes for. 
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2016, 08:34:51 PM »
No, but we know even from this board that there are some people who have said they will not visit SDC if SDC does not offer something new.  I guess I would be upset if I hung my hat on all the hype for Lightning Rod and then found it to be closed all the time.  Everything in Dollywood would be new for me, so it wouldn't be as upsetting for me.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2016, 11:25:08 PM »
Yeah I have yet to make the trip out there so DW would all be a first time experience for me. I was gonna do it this year but with some financial setbacks it probably wont happen.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2016, 12:21:27 AM »
Yeah I'd spend every day at the season at SDC or DW if I could, as would many on this board, but we aren't really the concern here. They've gone down this path of being a roller coaster destination, so they better have the roller coasters open to back it up, especially the big brand new one.

I don't know what they could have done differently or what they could do now, but I'm just saying this whole cluster will have consequences regardless of whether enthusiasts are eventually satisfied.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2016, 06:10:28 AM »
I had a trip to Dollywood planned in May. Was going to spend a few days on my way to Florida for a wedding. I cancelled due to LR not being up and going. Seems to me they wrapped the entire off season season ticket campaign around this coaster, so yes people have a right to be upset about it. I would bet that lots of people bought season passes just for this new attraction.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2016, 04:46:41 AM »
So it appears that Lightning Rod finally made its "Official Opening Debut" and I saw it on national news the other night.

http://www.local8now.com/content/news/Lightning-Rod-is-officially-open-to-the-public-392357321.html

TPR discussion here: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23793&start=11940

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2016, 08:03:25 PM »
Well, even after all the trouble they had with LR, it still came away with the Golden Ticket for best new ride of 2016. Dollywood also brought home a couple other awards.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/taylor-bybee/the-oscars-roller-coaster_b_11955762.html
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2016, 09:19:10 PM »
Those awards are such a joke
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2016, 10:45:19 PM »
I agree. But you know HFE will now use this in marketing like they did for OR.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2016, 12:56:21 AM »
I will say it is quite generous of them to crown LR as the 2016 best new attraction, especially with its ultra late opening and downtime issues. Also how the heck did they win best Christmas festival for 2016 when the festival hasn't even started yet for the season?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 01:11:24 AM by sdcfan88 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2016, 07:57:20 AM »
Well, even after all the trouble they had with LR, it still came away with the Golden Ticket for best new ride of 2016. Dollywood also brought home a couple other awards.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/taylor-bybee/the-oscars-roller-coaster_b_11955762.html

Interesting?  No plitics on this voting system....  LOL..  Thats as bad as the Branson Terry Awards for entertainers......  Hmmmm?  i wonder if it the same group of judges!!!   LOL..