Author Topic: go back to doing the interactive street shows  (Read 5656 times)

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
go back to doing the interactive street shows
« on: August 16, 2014, 05:19:21 AM »
Ovver the years one of the fun elements of the City was the Street Shows that were around the city. From the Rainmaker to the Hatfields and McCoys. These made the atmosphere of the City what it was. Small stage shows were fun. The City could now do small things in each area of the City to bring more excitement to the experience. With FL you could have the Firechief form bucket bragades. OR could have gunfights. GE could have a medicine type show for the newest gaget of the time. Huck and Tom could be conning someone at the float trip. Also the old Courthouse Theater could bring back some of the old shows much like the Saloon has done. You want to spread out the people through out the park, then give them some enterainment other than the newest coaster and build on the theme of the City, not only on the newest idea from SF ord Disney.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: go back to doing the interactive street shows
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 09:34:22 AM »
Agreed!!!
I'm Your Huckleberry

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 12:38:54 PM »
They still make a big deal about the street skits on the main square, which is nice. There's also Terry and a couple other characters running around, so it's not gone completely.

I do agree that more could be made out of it though. The original concept of Geyser Gulch was much more expansive and included stages and roving characters which included Rube Dugan. There used to be a fantastic web page by one of the other old Rube Dugan characters that had all the details. Wish I had saved it before he let it go. Hearing about the original plans for GG really made the actual end result seem really disappointing.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 03:22:52 PM »
Current skits are horribly watered down.  I don't even think skits are the answer.  I just want roaming characters who have the ability to "ad lib".  That means characters, and not costumed cartoon characters.  I get the dalmation, and it will be a great addition if it persists, but cartoons aren't the answer - just good improvisation spread throughout.  It used to be the shop operators would close the shops (or trust unattended shoppers) to become characters in skits.  It would be wonderful if shop owners, ride operators, and custodians could simply be "in character" rather than simply work the registers.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Dragon Dad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »
I must say I see both sides of this.  The street shows are great and entertaining.  There is often a huge wait in line to get into the various indoor shows, so impromptu street shows are a nice bonus for the guests.  However, the foot traffic in the park is already congested during peak attendance and sidewalk traffic often grinds to a halt during performances.   I remember on one visit urgently trying to get my child to a bathroom through a crowd that was completely blocking the sidewalk between us and the restrooms during a street performance.  Not fun.

That said, more themed city citizen characters moving around the park, doing funny ad-lib and interacting with the guests would be awesome!  If the characters were flamboyant enough for guests to want pictures with them to share on social media, that would be even better. (hint hint)    :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:45:37 PM by Dragon Dad »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 07:37:16 PM »
When we were waiting in line for Outlaw Run a week or so ago Terry the "Undertaker" came through the line measuring people with his yardstick. That sure gave some of them a startle- LOL!
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 08:19:47 PM »
PTB, this guns for hire, LOL! :)
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 10:00:50 AM »
When and Why did they remove the sherriff "deputizing" all of the kids as they came in? That was something I always looked forward to as a kid.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
When and Why did they remove the sherriff "deputizing" all of the kids as they came in? That was something I always looked forward to as a kid.

Agree! I have a box somewhere FILLED with those little stars. The sherrif even knew me by name because we went so much.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 05:35:34 PM »
Last I knew you could still get deputized.  All you have to do is find the sheriff and ask.  He carries badges with him and puts them on.  I have not been to SDC this year but I know he was doing it last year because I took my nephews to get their star.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »
You can still get deputized...you just have to ask. This summer, we had a great ongoing interaction with one of the "deputies". My wife wore a black and white striped shirt to the city, and the deputy harassed her about being an escaped prisoner every time he saw her. We even ran into him in the Hospitality House as we were leaving. He kept blocking the door. It was great fun, and it reminded me of the old days!!