Author Topic: Your 5 Year Plan for SDC  (Read 14593 times)

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • "Now boys, be good to the tourists!" - Mitch Jayne
    • View Profile
Re: Your 5 Year Plan for SDC
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »
Not to be the pedantic killjoy here, but MOMO ("Missouri Monster") has never been associated with the Ozarks, and was only seen in the 20th century in Louisiana, MO.

http://missourifolkloresociety.truman.edu/momo.html

There's plenty of good ghost stories in Randolph's Ozark Magic and Folklore. A ride themed around Breadtray Mountain/the Yocum Silver Dollar legend would be awesome!

T.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:09:14 PM by clancomyn »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 04:42:50 PM »
Tom and Huck aren't Ozarkian either, nor are diving bells.  There have been other proposals, like Lewis and Clark, that also do not pertain to southern Missouri or the Ozarks.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 05:30:57 PM »
Not to be the pedantic killjoy here, but MOMO ("Missouri Monster") has never been associated with the Ozarks, and was only seen in the 20th century in Louisiana, MO.

http://missourifolkloresociety.truman.edu/momo.html

There's plenty of good ghost stories in Randolph's Ozark Magic and Folklore. A ride themed around Breadtray Mountain/the Yocum Silver Dollar legend would be awesome!

That's why they should pick up the "haint" from Mutton Hollow.   ;D

T.

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 07:17:42 PM »
Tom and Huck aren't Ozarkian either, nor are diving bells.  There have been other proposals, like Lewis and Clark, that also do not pertain to southern Missouri or the Ozarks.

I can see the Mark Twain connection, though...at least it's in the same century as SDC. As the link to the MO Folklore Society shows, the whole MOMO story didn't even really begin until the 1970s. Besides the White River Monster, there is the Ozark Howler and even the Hornet Spook light that might make fun "quests" for a themed ride.

There just so much great local material, thanks to the efforts of Vance Randolph and others, that should be highlighted. If it wasn't for the efforts of Randolph and his friends, I daresay there wouldn't even be a Silver Dollar City.

Again, not trying to be pedantic per se. I'd just like to see SDC return to a little of its roots. There's room for everyone at the dance.

T.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 07:45:27 PM »
A ride themed to a Spooklight would be AWESOME. Like, have any of you guys been on Test Track at Epcot? (the older version) There's a part that has you driving on curvy mountain roads with trees and stuff, and I can see a Spooklight ride using a similar type of ride, only you're in a wagon and trying to get away from the Spooklight.

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 07:48:38 PM »
A ride themed to a Spooklight would be AWESOME. Like, have any of you guys been on Test Track at Epcot? (the older version) There's a part that has you driving on curvy mountain roads with trees and stuff, and I can see a Spooklight ride using a similar type of ride, only you're in a wagon and trying to get away from the Spooklight.

The spook light could easily be transferred to SDC, given that a number of its legends deal with miners in the Tri-State Mining Area in OK/KS/MO. Randolph documents a number of will-o-the-wisp legends in the Ozarks.

T.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »
 There could be a scary (Haunted Mansion level of scary, that is) dark ride themed around the tale of the Native American man who wrestled with a bear and both fell down into the Cathedral Room of Marvel Cave and supposedly no ancient remains were ever found of them. The dark ride could be about the ghosts of the man and the bear roaming the woods of Marmaros.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »
I don't know the order these events would be most likely to happen in but I've got a wish list of things I would love to see at SDC within the next 5 years.

• Renovate the American Plunge!!! This is my greatest wish for the park. I will take a great renovation of this beloved ride even if it means no new ride addition to the park for awhile. Make it how I remember it growing up SDC. Make the tunnel interactive again. Make it a top log flume attraction in the country.
  • A dark ride. For whatever reason the old ice house roller coaster concept has always stuck in my mind. I actually like the ice house coaster idea better than any other coaster concept I have heard floating around the board recently. This would satisfy the coaster enthusiasts at SDC, and also give the park another much needed indoor attraction. It's been awhile since they added an indoor dark ride.
  • Some sort of museum/history type attraction on the square highlighting the history of the Ozarks and the history of SDC. This is an idea we discussed a lot back in 2010 for the 50th anniversary and it always stuck with me. I think it would just be a really great touch to add to the park. It would give more visitors an insight into the fascinating history behind SDC and the area around Branson. If this ever happened, I would love to see an exhibit dedicated to all the great citizens that have worked in the city. There are so many great stories that could be told. And again, this would create another indoor attraction for the city.

These are just a few of my ideas for the park, all of which have been discussed before. They aren't large additions at all, but I think it would grow the city and give it the charm we love.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."