Author Topic: General Store and Post Office  (Read 3501 times)

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
General Store and Post Office
« on: August 08, 2014, 02:21:49 PM »
I was in the General Store last month, and I asked if you could still get a post card with the SDC postmark. The lady behind the counter told me that the USPS shut down their post office last fall. I hated to hear that. That was one of those little things that made SDC so unique.

On a semi-related note, one of my childhood favorites was always the "party line" phone in the General Store. How exactly does that work? It must be pretty primitive technology, because it has been there for years. However, the audio is crystal clear. Anybody got any insider information on how that phone works?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: General Store and Post Office
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 04:17:44 PM »
The post office actually shut down several years ago, IIRC. It was cool, but I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did with all the problems the postal service is dealing with.

I don't think I've ever heard of this phone. Is it still there? Anyone got a photo?

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 04:29:06 PM »
The phone was very funny. You picked up the reciever and listened to different SDC citizens having funny "party line" type conversations. How did it work? It simply was attached to a cartridge tape machine which ran in a loop, then began again. The cartridge tape machine is exactly the same equipment used at radio stations in the 60s-early 90s to play pre-recorded commercials and announcements. It never was hooked to a real landline phone. The tape was recorded in the backlot area, and the voices included members of the street troupe playing various characters.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

pintrader

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 05:00:24 PM »

I believe this is a picture of the phone your talking about.  Like Junior said it had some recordings on it but was not connected to a landline.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »
After all these years, I just saw this on our July trip.  A guy was listening to it as we walked by.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 07:58:42 PM »
*the post office officially shut down last October. It was in service and everything you mailed there was indeed stamped Silver Dollar City with the date and time.  I mailed out several letters and cards on the final day to family and friends.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:27:46 PM »
So sorry that the post office is no longer in service. Another unique aspect of the park is now gone forever. :'(

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »
Darn shame.  What's the population nowadays?  Was in the thirties last I vaguely recall.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 04:03:46 PM »
Last I heard population was still 28.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 09:52:42 AM »
Shave...the phone still works. Check it out next time you are there! It's a hoot!