Author Topic: Dewey Short Visitors Center  (Read 2261 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Dewey Short Visitors Center
« on: August 01, 2014, 04:49:46 PM »
We visited the Dewey Short Visitors Center at Table Rock Dam, this morning, and even though the new facility is pretty, there is relatively little inside.  There is a great overlook of the dam, all the normal spiel about endangered animals and using sustainable materials, etc., a little hands-on room with animal pelts, snake skin, and the like, but all in all we felt like the old visitors center actually had more to see and do.  It's sad that they waste the opportunity (along with a lot of money) to present some really cool exhibits about the dam itself and the wildlife that benefits from the lake.  I understand their mission, but I can go to a retail store (Bass Pro) and get the same message in a much more effective and innovative way.  The old place even had a pretty good gift ship with appropriately themed items, but the new place has nothing - no shirts, no posters, and barely even a rack with conservation tracts.  Color me disappointed.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Dewey Short Visitors Center
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:08:57 PM »
I am surprised, I was in the old center and it seemed quite well organized with lots of info.. (or seemed like it)..

I haven't been yet, saving it for a rainy day (literally)..  Guess maybe I have not missed anything ..

Surprised the new one is so "blah"...

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 10:07:37 PM »
The new one is about the function and workings of the dam, and the old one was about the local flora and fauna.  I like them both, but the old one was definitely more interesting.  The new one seems more adult centered.  Kids are more interested in animals than reading about how a dam works.  The views of the lake are nice.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 10:13:18 PM »
I'm interested in the dam.  Other than a couple of control panels and a handle that, when turned, generates power for some objects, that was it.  At the least, they could have knowledgeable people on staff.  There were three, all huddled together, and when we asked if the video was the same one from the old place, he said he didn't know.  The other two kept silence.  It seems like at least one could have strolled to the floor to interact with guests and answer questions.  It's just very sterile, with little character and really no history.  Hopefully, it will develop and hit a stride, but right now, not so much.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 10:20:20 AM »
The problem with the new visitor center is that the COE kicked out the Foundation that helped open the new visitor center and that provided the staffing for the new visitor center. The Foundation was kicked out last year due to some newly discovered "legal conflict". The foundation also staffed and operated the dam tours.  Those folks knew a lot about Table Rock, the dam, and the Branson area.