Author Topic: Six Flag St. Louis Loosing Scooby Doo?  (Read 6263 times)

CrazyScarecrow

• View Profile
Six Flag St. Louis Loosing Scooby Doo?
« on: July 26, 2014, 12:32:08 AM »
I was at the park a couple days ago and walking to Mr. Freeze and Captain Marvel (I refuse to call it Shazam!) and of course I walked passed Scooby. The sign said sometime in September (I forgot the date) that Scooby will be closed permanently. Does anyone know anything about this? Honestly if it isn't SDC I am pretty clueless of what is happening in theme parks. Is this just a maintenance thing for the rest of the season? Or could they be changing it to Looney Tune or DC theme (a DC comic theme would make since the part of the park is called DC Plaza)?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Six Flag St. Louis Loosing Scooby Doo?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:05:27 AM »
It is changing to a DC Justice League dark ride
SWOOSH

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 10:30:06 AM »
Is it going to remain a water ride or will they fill in the channel and make it dry?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 11:10:56 AM »
The boat aspect is being removed.  They've had a lot issues the past two season keep a fleet afloat.  The capacity of the ride has really suffered due to fewer boats being available.  If you'll remember they used to use both sides of the dock for loading.  With fewer boats available they went to just using the one side.  Maintenance has tried to keep up - but these boats are the originals for the ride and haven't really changed much since the start of the park (this was an original ride albeit a different theme to the park)
SWOOSH

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 12:16:26 PM »
Yeah...I remember way back when it was Injun Joe's Cave.  Showing my age!

CrazyScarecrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 01:04:23 PM »
Thanks! The change of theme makes sense. I always thought it was odd they had a place called DC Plaza with all of the DC stuff with Scooby Doo thrown in it and has a huge DC fan I'm excited to see how it will look. However I am kinda bummed to hear Scooby leaving. For as long as I could remember the Scooby ride was always there. Though the past year or two I realized so much of the ride just had a bunch stuff that wasn't working. There was time the Mystery Machine in the ride was taken out, Shaggy and the Wolfman chase seen not working, and often time there were scenes that were dark.

I didn't know about the boats having trouble. It explains why the Scooby line is so long though. I also didn't know the boats were the original for Injun Joe's. Thanks for sharing! Also a bit of the shame the water will be gone.

Since we're on the subject of the ride do you know anything else behind the scenes of the Scooby ride and the rides before?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 04:17:35 PM »
That's really unfortunate to hear. I don't know much about this ride specifically, but float through rides used to be a staple of classic amusement parks and they have nearly disappeared without much notice from the enthusiast community. At least the dark ride concept is starting to come back into popularity again. I'll probably be stopping in to SFStL for the first time in ages next year, so I'll be interested to see how this turns out.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 05:23:11 PM »
Scooby-Doo was the longest running version of the ride -

Scooby-Doo - 13 seasons (2002-late 2014)
Time Tunnel - 10 seasons (1979-late 1988)
Injun Joe's Cave - 8 seasons (1971-1978)
Castaway Kids - 8 seasons (1992-1999)
Legends Of The Dark Castle - 3 seasons (1989-1991)
closed for 2 seasons (2000-2001)
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 05:57:08 PM »
Not to harp on theme here, as Six Flags lost theirs yeeears ago, but the chain is an example of what happens when there is a loss of stricter adherence.  Scooby Doo?  Comic book superheroes?  I doubt even the bosses remember the original theme.  :'(
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »
The Six Flags no longer have the six themed areas they once represented. This came about when they bought out Marriott's Great America, which had exclusive Looney Tunes rights, followed by them buying out several others to scavenge what they wanted out of them. Now it looks like DC Comics and Looney Tunes have thrown up all over the park, instead of separate themed areas. Superman and Mr Freeze should've both been located by Batman.  I could go on...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

CrazyScarecrow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 01:05:29 AM »
I think Mr. Freeze would've been nice over by Batman and the Joker. Have a little Gotham themed area. Maybe doing something with best superhero ever, Robin over there! I am excited to see more DC Comics stuff coming to park though I do get what you all are saying. Six Flags has changed A LOT from the time I remember going and you all remember.

Also thanks for telling me the history of the rides that been used. Its hard thinking that a ride that has been there so long in some form is being drained. Maybe they can  make theme it around Aquaman or the Batcave and just change the boats. I don't know, but its sad to think a classic is being totally changed.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 08:50:38 AM »
i have not been to six flags since i was a kid, we are going Monday the 28th.  8)
Live life like it's the last day!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 10:43:10 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about this.... I love how the scenes are from "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?" which has been my favorite cartoon for as long as I can remember (I can't stand any of the newer shows/movies). But I LOVE DC Comics...
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 02:50:05 PM »
Ill miss Scooby for sure.  Hanna Barbera could have their own park almost.  Or at least a themed area somewhere.  But honestly, I'll miss the boats more. 

DC Justice League theme is sweet though so that should make up for the lost of the venerable boats.  I still remember the Time Tunnel...

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 07:02:56 PM »
Paramount Parks used to have HB sections -- then the kids grew up and no one remembers them anymore
SWOOSH