Author Topic: Holiday World 2015 Project  (Read 8072 times)

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Holiday World 2015 Project
« on: July 25, 2014, 05:30:42 PM »
I see where Holiday World announced their 2015 project last night.  It's going to be the world's first launched wing coaster.  It will be their biggest ever investment at $22 million dollars.  Looks like it's going to be a nice ride.  They have good info at their website.  First steel coaster for HW.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday World 2015 Project
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 06:00:49 PM »
checked it out...   !!!  COOL!!!!...     22 million?????? :o :o

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:13:25 PM »
Wingcoasters are more expensive.  Launch coaster are even more more expensive. 
It looks like a decent layout for a wingcoaster.

I bet SDC keeps a close eye on how this performs because there is an area that just might pop up something like this in say... 2017 or so. 
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »
^Because we're in the second of a three project arc, right Swoosh?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 07:39:19 PM »
Whatever you say, HB. lol

No, the big rumors coming from the City is that another coaster is coming in the near future.
The part the keeps coming up in all of those rumors is that it will go on the "hill" with the rest of them and be from a previously used manufacturer.  So to me, that would have to mean B&M, right?  As for the "hill" it would either have to go between WF and PK or over by the Homestead.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 08:39:11 PM »
OK now, all the responses that you (members of SDCFans) are thinking up must not continue in this thread.  This is the Holiday World 2015 Project conversation.

;D So what do you think Holiday World will think about the Silver Dollar City 2017 project?  JK

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 10:17:18 PM »
While I am excited for Thunderhawk, I almost feel that it is too big of a diversion from what has made the park successful.  I almost feel like they should have worked their way up to this big of a steel coaster.  A mine train or even something like the new coaster added to KK this year would have made a lot more sense.

It almost reminds me of a toddler that was eating baby food and all of a sudden decides it needs a porter house steak.  No "segue" at all.  Just bam - go to the most extreme out there and then add a gimmick to make it even more so.  Even a hyper coaster would have made more sense then this.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited as a thrill junkie for the coaster - but for those who only frequent this park, they have never gone upside down before on a coaster, and a launch too?  This may be too extreme.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 10:34:39 PM »
From what I've heard, we're in the midst of a 3 project boom.  The first is the smallest budget of the three.  The next after this might include some relocated rides along with something else. The final one is the big whopper and had been rumored for years.

This was what I was thinking of, but it was a while ago that you said it.  It took me a while to find it.  I suppose it was a couple of years ago.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 11:30:22 PM »
From what I've heard, we're in the midst of a 3 project boom.  The first is the smallest budget of the three.  The next after this might include some relocated rides along with something else. The final one is the big whopper and had been rumored for years.

This was what I was thinking of, but it was a while ago that you said it.  It took me a while to find it.  I suppose it was a couple of years ago.

To quote Sgt Schultz, "I know nothing"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzsWxPLIOo

Of course things change, for instance the budgets.  But we are still right on track on the 3 projects.  With the first being Outlaw Run, the next Fireman's Landing (and as you can see I was right on target mentioning the relocated rides) and now we have the largest project still to come and if the B&M persistent rumors pan out it would be the largest budget of the 3. 

SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 11:45:16 PM »
I figured you would enjoy being right...other than that "the first is the smallest budge of the three" thing.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 12:22:49 AM »
Eh. Budgets change.  The OP was two years ago. Let me tell you, the plans for GG's replacement have changed so many times it was hard to keep up. 
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 12:40:52 AM »
I can imagine it has.

I just took a look at the Thunderbird at HW.  The video is cool, but the ride itself doesn't look like much.  I like how it tears through the barns, especially if those barns have already been in the park.  I haven't been to HW, but understand it to be quite clean and friendly.  I think the theme would really get annoying for employees.

Here is the link to the video:  http://www.holidayworld.com/thunderbird/

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 05:33:02 AM »
Meanwhile the other Koch family members that bought Alabama Adventure just outside of Birmingham will have the wood coaster there running in a couple of weeks.

I supposed B&M  could do a launched suspended coaster. Has that been done yet? I see that they made a knock off like version of a Vekoma family suspended coaster in China.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:13:46 PM by chittlins »

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 08:52:24 AM »
I was at Holiday World this past week. One of their major rides--Giraffica AKA Pilgrim's Plunge--has been taken down. Has anyone heard why? I would guess that the new coaster will be in the area where this ride used to be.

On three different occasions on my visit, rides broke down while I was standing in line. They had problems with the Mammoth, the Wildebeest, and the Voyage. The Voyage got stuck halfway up the lift hill, and the passengers had to walk down.

I normally enjoy my visits to Holiday World, but Friday's visit wasn't the best.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 12:11:41 PM »
From everything I've read Pilgrims Plunge was taken down for the new ride. Surelyo goodness they didn't scrap it.