Author Topic: TV program to feature SDC  (Read 31831 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: TV program to feature SDC
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2014, 07:05:51 PM »
Congratulations, Rube!  This is exciting!!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 07:32:08 PM »
Thanks guys.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 10:43:24 PM »
The show's title, unless it changes, is "The United States of Amusement".

The show is a six-episode series, featuring three parks on each episode.

Someone mentioned the show would be on GAC.

For some reason, SDC is featured on the southern parks episode.

The production company is Magilla Entertainment.  They make some shows that don't exactly share SDC family and Christian values, but such is the entertainment business.  They also make Long Island Medium, Moonshiners and its spinoff Tickle, and others.

The host, J.D. Scott, is one of the Property Brothers from HGTV, but not one of the two main brothers.  He has been on the Property Brothers show.
This is J.D.'s picture from the Scott Brothers website at http://www.thescottbrothers.com/.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 04:43:35 AM »
Thanks, HB.  Rube, are you allowed to say when the shoot will be, and when it tentavely will be aired on GAC? Joy, have not heard from you, yet? How are you doing. Your reaction?
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

HeyWheatBread

• Ozarkian Daredevil
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 01:56:30 PM »
Yay Rube! Congratulations! You'll do an amazing job. Good luck!
Official Member of the Society of Ozarkian Daredevilry

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2014, 02:44:47 PM »
Well, As I had said originally, the film date was set in August, and they had little time to get this thing done. I was contacted Tuesday to notify me of their decision, and I can now say that the filming is done not even 4 days later. I did not feel at liberty to share the production date, and one day this weekend, everything took place.

After a long 11 hour day lasting from 7:30am-6:30pm, all of the filming was completed. The show will be titled "The United States of Amusement" and they will be 30 minute episodes, meaning only a fraction of the show will actually make the final piece...a 7 minute segment.

There were rides, old friends, places I have never been, food, stories, and a lot of laughter and fun on a very hot/ humid full day. The crew of 10 people was a great group of people to work with (especially for me as a novice) and the park was more than accommodating.

Lisa and Courtney from PR as well as a few corporate HFEC reps, and the whole of the staff/ workers at SDC made us feel more than comfortable, and rolled out the red carpet for the crew (of which I was just riding their coattails)-we had to have a park rep with us during any filming-. I am not at too much liberty to share all of the filming locations etc, but there were little-no shops, no kiddie rides to stay with theme, no classic rides due to lighting and logistics, no shows...which I know takes much away from the parks theme. The network and production company used the elements they felt would appeal to the audience, as well as parts of SDC that were different from others (crafters/ making goods etc.) to juxtapose the parks with each other.

My role was to briefly explain the elements of the rides, height, mph, big parts/ corkscrews, rolls/ loops etc. as well as tell my story about why I go to the park. I don't know what will be included, but I feel I did all that I could to show the park and bring in the history etc as I could. I am sure you all will be the judges, and let me know when that takes place what I did /didn't do right. Most facts were fed to me despite any pre existing knowledge, and the director did a good job at using the data from SDC to aid in my responses.

Let me know any questions and I'll be happy to answer them for ya'all if I can! More details to come!

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2014, 04:06:39 PM »
Excellent report...glad to hear this from you. Excited to hear about an air date, but my cable system does not get GAC.  Gonna have to figure out a way to see this show! Congratulations and glad it went well.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2014, 07:21:01 PM »
Sounds like you did awesome rube, I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product. Did they give you any indication on when they hope to have the series air?

I hope they keep at least some of your commentary about the park instead of making it try to fit a mold with a tiny bit of crafts and old time theming sprinkled in. Then again, the PTB might like that... Oh well, I'm sure it will be great for the park.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2014, 08:13:11 PM »
No date was specified.

The running joke all day would be trying to come up with new comebacks if the guests at the park would ask what we were filming (and they did this 3-5 times at each scene we shot). They would always tell the truth, but as soon as they'd walk away, they'd joke about something other than what we were doing. The host JD was very witty, and had many good remarks everything from  the newest "Jurassic Park" to "The Godfather 5" etc.

There will be some recognizable faces for anyone who has been to the park in the last few years. (Terry was off that day to kill that rumor!).

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 07:18:21 PM »
I was just thinking, you still have about 10 minutes remaining of your 15 minutes of fame to cash in.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2014, 02:14:36 PM »
Congrats, Rube!
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2014, 05:49:24 PM »
Haven't been on in a couple of weeks so I'm just now seeing this. Very Exciting! Congrats, Rube!

lindseytoni

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »
It's so exciting that a member of this forum is going to be on a show talking about the city! Congratulations!
I am very sad that each park segment will be so short. I watch 19 Kids and Counting and one of the episodes that excites me the most is the one where they all visit the city. I am looking forward to watching!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
Thanks all! It might be short, but I fit as much as I could into my segments ! I was prompted at many times, and I am nervous about the segments after editing. I have only control over what was said. I know already a large segment will be devoted to a portion i was not in only due to timing. It just didn't work out due to the crafters timing. The host will have a big portion of screen time and I will be a small segment ( if we are looking at film time). Am I teasing g you all enough yet?!?!

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2014, 11:30:57 PM »
They better not have to bleep your language, rube!

Are you back in school yet?  If so, did you tell your students?