Author Topic: Ride problems  (Read 3025 times)

bradhig

• View Profile
Ride problems
« on: August 01, 2008, 07:24:33 PM »
We arrived at the park Jul 30 and Powder Keg was running but as we were waiting in line for a magic show I saw a guy block off the entrance with a chain and tell people there were mechical problems with Powder Keg.  Also the line in front of Fire in The Hole was mile long due to PK being closed.  Any ideas what broke on PK? 

Also the waterboggan was having problems. They had to switch everyone to the other side what in the world and there were problems with the converyor what was wrong there?

When I was riding American Plunge a log was stopped halfway up the lift to the plunge and then it started moving again as our log reached the life. Why did it get stopped?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Ride problems
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 07:31:58 PM »
Ah, PK does have it's occasional problems, though luckily it's not as bad as some more famous coasters. The sensors seem to be a big issue for the ride - I've had to walk away from it on several occasions simply because it started misting and the sensors got wet. They're laser senors apparently, and if any sort of precipitation hits them, they read positive or something; so after each rain they actually have to walk the track and wipe off each sensor until it's clear enough to function properly - that's why it takes so long to re-open after a rain.

The waterboggin only uses one lift, so there must have been something wrong with the particular slide - maybe a branch fell in or something.

AP stops logs on the lift on purpose. If you notice, the lift is set up in several sections which operate independently so that one can stop while another runs. This way they can stack logs on the lift rather than have them going off the drop uncontrollably. There's usually an enthusiastic controller sitting on the booth who slaps hands with everybody - he controls the starting and stopping that you see.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:12:26 PM »
My last two visits have seen the Powder Keg out of order.  In fact three out of four visits.  Wasn't Buzzsaw Falls notorious for acting up.  Maybe its the ghost of the Buzz causing all of the ruckus.

bradhig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 05:43:02 PM »
Sounds like PK was hit by the ghost of Buzzsaw Falls getting revenge.