Author Topic: Got the 2014 Summer Pastimes in the mail today..............Changes  (Read 5476 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
I got the times in the mail and went to check out what goodies they were giving out to us this year.  Much to my surprise they aren't really offering much this year.  A few discount coupons for $1 off a specific food item and $10 off if you spent more than $50 in a few shops.  What really took me back was they usually include an extra bonus Bring a friend or a really discounted bring a friend ticket but not this year.  With the exception of a bring a friend after 6 ticket for Moonlight Madness ( You cant pay me to go back during this offering ) the bring a friends were no more than what Country Mart is offering, either $30 or even a $40 BAF coupon.  If memory serves in years past these were from $10-20.  They have really taken a jump.  I just don't see the logic in the increase unless the park is really doing well and they don't need to offer the perks to entice a few more folks into the gates to buy food and drinks.  If they continue to whittle at the extra deals they are going to wear the shine off the seasons pass purchase for me.
 What do you guys think?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Got the 2014 Summer Pastimes in the mail today..............Changes
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »
For me, this shows that the park is confident in the brand and doesn't feel the need to "give away the gate".  What is more beneficial?  To pack the park full of lower admission guests who are so tight with their pocket books to begin with (the whole "I'm not going to the park because it is too expensive") or to have fewer guests spending close to face value on the tickets who are there because they chose to?  The answer is obviously the 2nd option.  They will have higher IPS and in the long run the park makes more money off of these guests.

Cheapen the brand by "giving away the gate" just to make the park have more turnstyle clicks is not the way to go.  If you are the premier theme park attraction in the area, act like it.  This is Disney Parks 101.  If the park has fewer admissions but higher in park spending, they're (PTB) are winning. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:25:12 PM »
This is only what, the third or so year they've done this type of promotion? Regardless of their reasons for the changes, I think it would take until now for them to really understand how these promotions affect their bottom line. Hard to say whether they are trying to cut back on deals in general, or if they simply don't need to make those kinds of deals anymore.

Haven't heard much about park attendance this year. I know we're having another wetter summer in general around the midwest, but it makes all the difference in the world if the rain falls during the week and keeps things cool, or if it rains on the weekend and drives away all the attendance. I feel like it's probably up though, and they are still riding the wave of Outlaw Run + a slightly improving local economy.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 09:54:36 PM »
This is only what, the third or so year they've done this type of promotion? Regardless of their reasons for the changes, I think it would take until now for them to really understand how these promotions affect their bottom line. Hard to say whether they are trying to cut back on deals in general, or if they simply don't need to make those kinds of deals anymore.

Haven't heard much about park attendance this year. I know we're having another wetter summer in general around the midwest, but it makes all the difference in the world if the rain falls during the week and keeps things cool, or if it rains on the weekend and drives away all the attendance. I feel like it's probably up though, and they are still riding the wave of Outlaw Run + a slightly improving local economy.

What's local? Slightly isn't how I would describe NWA:

NWA Third Fastest Growing Economy in the Nation

06/23/2014 09:19 AM

NORTHWEST ARKANSAS (KNWA) - Northwest Arkansas is the third fastest-growing economy among large metropolitan areas in the nation.

That's according to a report published by the U.S. Conference of Mayors on Friday.

The data shows the economy is expected to grow by 4.2 percent annually through 2020. That's up from 3.8 percent last year when NWA sat at 7th place in the nation.

Austin, Texas and Raleigh, North Carolina take first and second place on this year's list.

and this was before Tyson bought Hillshire Brands:

Arkansas makes Forbes Hot 9 list
http://fortune.com/2014/06/02/fortune-500-shuffle/

The new home prices are now entering the 115 dollar a square ft. range again.  Fayetteville is once again hearing that we are getting an addition to the skyline with an 18 to 20 story mixed use hotel/condo/retail tower on the Square after that site got hit in 08.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:58:56 PM by chittlins »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 10:10:45 PM »
Just recently returned from a Thursday visit and while it was slow early in the day by late afternoon the place was booming. I agree with Swoosh about the need to give away admissions. Although it hurts those who have come to depend on it, you do not make money giving away entries. Last year we used all our guest passes most of the year and the majority of those people spent less than 5 bucks each all day. Bet they are figuring out it is not as beneficial as it used to be.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »
All right I'm mad  >:(
Got my newsletter today and I am flipping through it and see something that SHOULD NOT be in the newsletter.  I'm going to post the photo for you so you can see it and then explain.

(PHOTO 1)

Does this look OK to you?  Probably to the normal every day person it does.  Except for one thing.  That Indian dancer there in the corner.  What is wrong with him?  Well he is a direct lift image from this:

(PHOTO 2)

Now unless I am missing something, Cirque du Soleil's TOTEM is NOT performing at SDC during Harvest Festival.  So the question is - did someone get lazy and Google "Indian Dancer" and just right click "copy save" the first image they saw or what is going on?  I highly doubt that CdS gave SDC permission to use one of their publicity photos for the publicity of something completely different.  I know in the past, SDC has used CdS music in some of their shows and I thought that was pushing it, but this is just unacceptable.

>:(  Now the forum won't let me link photos from photobucket -- great
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:28:08 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 07:35:54 PM »
I'm sure they can get a Chinese troop to pull off a complete ripoff but yeah that's lazy.

I'm all over that Exile and Juice Newton concert, it reminds me of being in country music radio hell heading to the lake as a kid once the Memphis stations faded. 8)

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 09:14:19 PM »
I ASSume they get permission. I know for decades they sometimes use photos from other parks on occasion. For instance, the plunge was introduced in 1981, and the brochure that year had a shot of a run of the mill log ride from some other park.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:10:06 PM »
Unfortunately, that kind of thing happens all the time these days. I'm almost certain SDC still outsources most of their media design. There's no excuse for this, since anyone working professionally in that industry for a big contract like that brochure can easily pay for a $25 stock photo if they need it. A lot of companies/designers just get used to stealing images for little things like this because there's a 99.9% chance no one will notice or care. I know there's even been some major clothing labels lately that just steal designs from independent artists and print them on shirts, because they know the artists don't have the money to deal with them in court.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 04:53:59 PM »
received my times today...  and with all the other items that have been mentioned... let me add this

APPLE TURNOVER-- 2.99!!!! YEA BABY!!

ok, enough..

Once again they use a full page ad for Dixie Stampede and what!  YEP! you save a whooping 3 bucks!!  (are they ever going to allow us a "real" discount.....

5 bucks off at The Titanic,  well that is about a 20% savings, and I sugeest if you have not been there yet, go..   very nice displays and very informative

I think the being open until midnight on the 26 and 2 is a nice touch, hope the weather is decent... will be interesting to hear how that works out....

Super

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 06:25:13 PM »
The handout really needs to improve with better deals.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 10:44:26 PM »
Not to be a jerk, but the coupon prices are the same as the last few years.  I'm surprised they even send a $30/$40 ticket coupons - I would make you pay full price.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 12:21:13 PM »
Hey, Copper! Haven't seen you hear in a while.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 12:29:13 PM »
We've never paid much attention to the coupons, but we might clip a couple for this summer.

It's nice to hear from you, Copper!  Even if you're not being a jerk.  ;)
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 07:45:50 AM »
noticed that one of the coupons is only good sun-wed..!! ::) ::)

And not valid for after 3, next day free :o :o