Author Topic: DW's 2009/10 Project: Adventure Mountain  (Read 13602 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
DW's 2009/10 Project: Adventure Mountain
« on: August 01, 2008, 02:05:55 PM »
According to this post -> http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45336 on TPR, DW is getting a giant play set similar to what Stone Mountain got last year for it's 2009 attraction.

It's an interesting concept, but it doesn't strike me as something I would consider doing on a visit there. I mean, the Stone Mountain version of this looks really lame - you just hop around from object to object while hanging from a big rope. It's a creative idea all right, but I hope they round it off better for DW.

There will be a few added effects for DW at least - a waterfall and something called 'Fire Mountain'.

At least they aren't just adding thrill rides, I guess.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:27:28 PM by History Buff »

sdcforever

Re: DW's 2009 Project: Adventure Mountain
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 03:30:23 PM »
^Sounds very similar to the 2006 SDC ride concept "Mountain Base Camp", which never materialized.  Read about it here: http://sdcfans.com/page.php?id=14

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:39:49 PM »
Yeah, because you know DW's usual visitor is going to be able to do all of that.
Doesn't seem very "ADA friendly" to me and more of a liability risk then I would take if I owned a park, but whatever.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 03:46:52 PM »
^It's actually not much of a liability risk because you're strapped to this huge rope harness for the entirety of the experience. That's what kind of makes it pointless for me, it's just a lot of hanging around.

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 04:38:58 PM »
This doesn't appeal to me one bit.  Perhaps its aimed at hyperactive 7 year olds who need to burn off energy.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:40:42 PM by Dukefan »

rowdyloudy2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:19:05 PM »
I agree with I'm not too interested in this attraction. Finding this out has dissapointed me. I guess i'll be going to Carowinds or kings Dominion next year even though Dollywood is 2 miles away. I'll probably go on sevier county days, but I won't buy a season pass next year. I would have rather had a new ride added. They already had something almost like this years ago in Dreamland forest which i believe people twisted their ankles alot getting their feet caught in ropes and stuff which is why i believe they got rid of the attraction. So why would they even think of adding something like that again  :-\.

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 03:13:24 PM »
Apparently Dollywood will also have a major new show next year:

Capturing the spirit of the Great Smoky Mountains in song and story is the focus of Dollywood’s new show Sha-Kon-O-Hey! Land of Blue Smoke. Set to premiere May 9, 2009, Sha-Kon-O-Hey! is the most lavish and extravagant live stage production in Dollywood’s history. A grand-scale musical, Sha-Kon-O-Hey! tells the story of the last family leaving the area to make way for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. As the family comes to terms with its impending departure, a wizened old man leads the family along its journey. Together, they encounter the settlers, the rail and lumbermen, the shiners and the Native Americans who populated the Smokies and made them such a wondrous place. Athletic dancers, in-line skaters, power tumblers and glorious aerialists bring these vignettes to vibrant life and tell the family’s heartfelt story. The music, performed by the cast and live band, features simple mountain-inspired melodies, including original music and lyrics written by Dolly especially for the new show.

I'm actually more interested in this than "Adventure Mountain". :P  This will be the first time in several years that Dollywood has put on a show of this scale.

I think "Sha-Kon-O-Hey" was the term the Cherokee Indians used to refer to the Great Smoky Mountains.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 03:18:48 PM by Dukefan »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 09:18:11 PM »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 01:47:15 PM »
^That actually looks really fun! I could spend a lot of time there.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

DocSpeleo

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 02:03:38 PM »
i actually think this adventure mountain is a great idea.... get off the rides and get out and do something yourself.... like the cave tour!  I like the idea of having different courses of going on the mountain it looks pretty nice and we do need to do something to combat obesity! 

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 06:50:50 PM »
I love the idea for this attraction and I think it'll be great for Dollywood. But I would hate to see something like this at Silver Dollar City. Geyser Gulch is kind of like this and I think something like this would stick out like a sore thumb at SDC (much like Geyser Gulch did when it first opened).
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 07:40:48 PM »
I dunno, it's all about how they pull it off. 'Adventure Mountain' pretty much sounds stupid wherever you put it, but turn the thing into a lumber camp and urge guests to step in for the striking loggers (just like they did with Flooded Mine) and you have an interactive, submerssive attraction that fits in completely. The thing is, would they even bother to do that anymore? They certainly try harder with SDC, but as we're noting, with each passing year we see the management caring less and less about keeping up the atmosphere.

DocSpeleo

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 09:48:51 PM »
i'd like something like this but as an interactive wild caving experience of course with a cave we would build and rock climbing walls.  it could be hidden underground somewhere lol since its a cave - - - lol

i agree with that atmosphere statement.  it seems to have happened when the company moved the offices to Atlanta?  Still don't understand that decision.. personally if the CEO didn't want to be in branson with the major property .. then well lets look for another CEO..... just my opinon

sdcforever

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 10:16:54 PM »
I noticed this is going in the Wilderness Pass area of the park, near River Battle.  Must be going north of RB?

I also noticed they have Camp Teachittome for those two to six years old, in addition to the five courses.  I wonder how many kids older than six will tire out on a course?  Family members will be annoyed having to drag and carry them back to camp; employees will be annoyed as well.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 05:08:21 PM »
They already have something similar to this (or exactly like this) at Stone Mountain, so I'm sure they know the ins and outs of the project.  I doubt it would be something that's really going to tax people too much physically. 

Has anyone been to Stone Mountain to see theirs?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating