Author Topic: Wildfire Harness  (Read 4062 times)

ARDisneyfan

• View Profile
Wildfire Harness
« on: June 04, 2014, 10:04:39 PM »
I have a quick question about the shoulder harness on Wildfire.  I'm sure it has always been this way, but this is the first time I've been to the park in a few years.  Has Wildfire always had the seat belt that serves as a backup to hold the shoulder harness down?  As I said I'm sure it has always been this way, I just didn't remember it.

Thanks!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Wildfire Harness
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 11:06:17 PM »
Yup, it's always been there and is standard on all B&M rides (the coasters with the big boxy tracks). Outlaw Run is the one that added seatbelts this year.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:07:35 PM by shavethewhales »

ARDisneyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 11:10:53 PM »
Ahh, Thanks!  I couldn't remember.  I'm trying to convince my daughter to ride it so I was doing research.   And I did not know that Outlaw Run has a seat belt as well as the lap bar... that is good to know!

ithai

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 11:11:36 AM »
I would call outlaw runs bar a lower body bar. But I'm totally glad its there! As well as the seatbelt.

wascator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 10:07:28 PM »
I rode Outlaw Run last Thursday afternoon; it does indeed hold onto you. Good thing, too.
I hope to ride it the second time with my eyes open.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »
Why did they add the seatbelt?  Legal issues, complaints from riders, a serious risk? 

wascator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 09:19:05 AM »
Makes sense, in case something went wrong with the holddown bar latching.
Like the fire-retardant clothing we wear at work: you still burn up, but at least you had it on; looks better in court I suppose.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 12:11:13 PM »
Why did they add the seatbelt?  Legal issues, complaints from riders, a serious risk? 

Seat belts were added to quite a few roller coasters after the Texas Giant incident including Titan, the New Texas Giant, the RMC's including Outlaw Run, and a lot of B&M hyper coasters too. I don't think they are needed if the restraints work properly and restrain the body in the correct locations...which parks are being more aggressive and aware of where the restraint sits on your body. But the restraint bars are really the only thing that truly restrain you (that's why if the restraint bars do not work and lock you in the correct position, you are still denied riding even it the seat belt is fastened). So it seems to me, the seat belts were installed for a better sense of safety, and I'm sure to satisfy legal/insurance reasons, but not because of serious risks.

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 10:17:35 PM »
I don't think the general public, or even most enthusiasts, understand and appreciate the technology and strength design that goes into lap bar restraints. They simply don't fail like everyone likes to imagine. They are over engineered many times over any standard design loads, and high tech sensors make sure they shut properly and stay shut until the train re-enters the station.

I'm almost certain that the little seat belts on wildfire and other B&M's are just for safety theatre. They give an appearance of standard protocol and make riders feel safe because they have someone coming around to look at them rather than just watching the sensors which are what really do all the work. 

wascator

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 08:00:19 PM »
That lady that fell out at Six Flags was pretty large, from the photo I saw.