Author Topic: Showboat Rumor  (Read 4953 times)

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
Showboat Rumor
« on: August 10, 2014, 04:01:27 PM »
I have heard a rumor this weekend that this is the last season for the showboat! Two people told me after this year, the boat is gone. I questioned them...did they mean the show will be replaced with another? Both said no, the boat is gone. So, somebody please clairify this issue for me...are they just changing the show out again, or is the boat ending it's use as an attraction? I was shocked when I heard this.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Hollwood

Re: Showboat Rumor
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 04:09:32 PM »
It needs A LOT of structural work done to it. I would not be surprised if they take it off the lake to referb it. As for done for good, no way. They would have marketed that hard core at the beginning of the year. The boat will be back.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 04:26:30 PM »
Whew, I was hoping so. The folks I spoke with were sincere, and I guessed they got the show change mixed up with the boat operation.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 06:07:46 PM »
This is the last season for "MADE IN AMERICA" this is NOT the last season for SBB
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 07:29:55 PM »
The problem with picking up rumors straight from people in Branson is that they like to assume the worst. You definitely have to apply a filter and a few different sources before you give the rumors much credence.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them do something new with the showboat next year though. I seem to recall that attendance has been up and down. I haven't experienced it yet myself, but I'm told you don't really get to enjoy the ride much - it's kind of like a dinner theatre in an inconvenient location. I think they either need to invest in more appealing acts, or rearrange the trips/boat to be more focused on taking in the cruise. I'd totally go for a nice dinner/bar on an open deck of a boat like this, but I don't want to sit through most of the recent acts I've heard about on the belle.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 10:13:30 PM »
Shave hit the nail on the head, there.  I understand that there are time constraints, but it is surprising how little of a boat experience is found on the "showboat".  The food is good and all.  But you have no idea that you are on a ship.  That needs to change.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 03:59:25 PM »
What Swoosh and Shave is both correct...

The reason for the up and down this year and last is the "main" show is 3 years old. 

I personally don't like the violinist that does the climbing rope thing...  just don't like... If I want to see gymnastics...... I will watch the  acrobats in Branson...  ..  The few times I watched "The Showmen", the voices didn't harmonize and there dancing was out of step....  Just not up to par for the SB..  I am thrilled they are changing it up next year.. anything will be an improvement,,, 

I like the Showboat Belle expeirence...  And as a SP holder I get in for 1/2 price!!

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 08:05:33 PM »
We went maybe 10 years ago and that was plenty for us. I remember we were standing on the deck enjoying the cruise and they made us go inside for dinner. I kind of wonder if they would allow you to skip the dinner or show or both and just sit on the deck? The dinner was OK similar to Dixie Stampede. I would rate it a step above a buffet. Cannot remember much about the show except it had all the Branson show staples, God bless the USA and the military and all that. We might try it again sometime, but only if we have nothing else to do.

Back to the original topic though I have heard they are having trouble filling it up. Just a rumor with no evidence.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 09:58:57 PM »
Just on certain days.  The weekend cruises have been 80%-close to max.  You have to remember that they have 3 cruises a day during the busy season.  That can make it appear that business is hurting when select days do not fill up completely.  It is always pretty close to being full when I go. 

That being said, I really did not care for the aerial violinist.  BUT, I didn't care for her when she was at SDC either.  She is hard to understand when she talks (accent?) and I didn't think her singing voice was that great.  The guys are underwhelming and I don't know if that is because of the song selection or just not a good meshing.  The house band is very talented though, enjoy listening to them when they are playing background music for dinner.

I too would like more time on the deck.  In fact I was "late" for dessert because I was on the deck longer than most.  It was just waiting at my spot when I returned. 

The magician is meh in my opinion.  I wasn't really entertained by him.

I guess it's been since 2012 since I rode the ship.  Just checked in my archive of trip reports.  If you can overlook the fact that it hasn't been upgraded to the new formatting of my website yet, here it is. http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/migcrew/2012/sbb/
SWOOSH

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 04:08:37 AM »
the only time I rode on the boat was when The CAGAN CONNECTION preformed there. like you said, you miss the whole boat experience because you spend all your time on the dinner and show.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 02:07:32 PM »
I've only ridden it twice (maybe 3 times).  Once as a kid, (maybe once in 8th grade on a band trip?), and once in 2007 for Senior Prom.  The act the first time would have still been Todd Oliver, and the last time I enjoyed the musical group that was there.  Haven't been there since; my husband has no interest in what they've offered for performers.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 10:01:11 PM »
My wife and I did the 4pm cruise today. Food was fine, service excellent, show good, enjoyed getting on the top deck and looking at the lake. Very busy day on Tablerock. Also went to Tanger and never saw it that busy before, no parking. Traffic in town appeared busy. Went to 2 downtown flea markets, both had alot of traffic. Passing SDC this morning saw a huge crane at the Fireman's Landing site, work apparently underway.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 10:36:23 PM »
The Showboat quite often gets bad reviews for its meals and shows, but honestly every time I've been on it, it was a great experience.  And, I know the others in my group felt the same way.  Maybe, we were just lucky enough to go on good days.  We spent time on the top deck before the show, and again after dinner before the show started.  The only thing that bugs me is standing in line for a picture that I don't want.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »
You can bypass the photo if you ask.
SWOOSH