Author Topic: Old cabin or maybe barn next to the construction at Branson West Wal-mart?  (Read 9051 times)

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Does anybody know the history behind the old barn or cabin that has been revealed by the clearing going on by the Wal-Mart at Branson West?  It looks old enough to be something that could have been standing during the "Shepard of the Hills" days.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
For a short time there was an outdoor play in operation about the Yocum silver mine (I believe) in Lakeview MO. (now Branson West). I think the Cabin was a set piece for that, but I'm not sure. Zephon might remember that one as well.
It was very close to that location.
Her is a link to some info and a photo of the cabin in question?
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:KojOaCgdqSQJ:www.cityofbransonwest.com/historybw.shtml+lakeview+mo+yocum&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:25:38 PM by Old Guy »
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Ah, thanks.  I love those old cabins.  They are getting to be pretty scarce.  It is amazing that only a pretty short time ago, that many were still standing from the 1800's on old farm places.  Many of the old Dogpatch cabins were purchased by Dogpatch from around Arkansas and reassembled at the old park.  It is sad to see so many of those historical homestead cabins being left to rot away.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
I found a photo and added an addendium to my above post :)
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Interesting.  I always wondered what the Lost Silver Mine show was about.  I remember seeing that sign at the T where 76 meets Branson West when I was a kid.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
I never saw the Lost Silver Mine show, although I knew several people who were in it.  I did audition for it's second season though.  Several days later I got a letter from them offering me one of the lead roles.  I felt pretty good about that until I read the second paragraph of the letter, which said "sorry, but we just found out that the person who played the role last year is coming back so the offer is hereby rescinded."  I thought that was a pretty silly way to do business, and as it panned out, it was for the best that I didn't get the job.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Awsome link History Buff.  You are the man when it comes to the good info!  I love that kind of stuff.

Zephon- What an odd letter.  You are right, as it was better than a Miss Cleo reading on the future success of their ill fated business venture.  It is as if it took them several days to write you the letter.  Day one....paragraph one, "you have the job".  Day two...paragraph two, "sorry to inform you that you didn't get the job".  That is funny.  I guess they didn't want to throw away a perfectly good piece of paper to start another letter.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Credit where it's due, my friend:  Old Guy's the guy with the info.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Sorry, I thought Old Guy and typed History Buff.  Wait a minute that didn't come out right either. ;D 

You still come up with some good stuff too.  ;D

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
I'm glad to finally read up on the Lost Silver Mine.  The old sign was as much a part of my childhood as anything else in Branson especially because signaled that I needed to start putting on my shoes (which had usually been kicked off for most of the car ride)
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

sdcforever

I knew nothing of the history of the Yocum's or the legend of the Lost Silver Mine, and how many times have I traversed that intersection?  Too many to count.  Thanks for the info, Old Guy!  Great stories, as always! :D

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
I remember the sign(s), but never heard much about the show. We frequently stayed in cabins at Kimberling City, and "Branson West" was just the 13/76 crossroads back then.

There was a supermarket and liquor store in Kimberling directly across 13 from the cabins. When I started college in '81, I dated a girl whose dorm suite-mates were sisters, and their family owned those stores. Small world! Man, wish I could think of their names, and the name of the store... one sister's name was Marla.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Old cabin or maybe barn next to the construction at Branson West Wal-mart?
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 02:27:22 PM »
I figured I'd post some of the pics from there while I was passing through last week. I know the building won't be around much longer, and that it is not too historically relevant, but It was a great day for photos, and it was there! Are they just expanding Wal Mart even farther! or will this area become a road, some development?
Here are several pictures I took that day... just scroll through them if you want, there are 5 of them!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32289589@N05/3195088740/

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:28:39 PM by rubedugans »

sdcforever

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 08:25:53 PM »
^Cool!  Thanks for the photos.  Another part of history that will be lost forever pretty soon.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Looks like a really cool piece of nostalgia, even if it was just a set piece. I'm more angered that walmart is expanding than I am it the cabin being taken out, but alas, such is American life for the next couple of generations until our children realize that urban sprawl is a bane of American life.