Author Topic: Ozland and Joplin Disney  (Read 5382 times)

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Ozland and Joplin Disney
« on: July 28, 2008, 08:41:41 AM »
Does anyone know what became of the proposed Wizard of Oz Park in Kansas or heard anymore about Disney building a park around Joplin?
SDC has always made a great past to remember

sdcforever

Re: Ozland amd Joplin Disney
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:08:02 AM »
The Oz theme park project has been postponed indefinitely as of six years ago due to "local political opposition".  There is a possibility of it moving to other states; South Carolina and Arizona have shown interest.  You can read more about the ten year failed attempt at building the park in Kansas here:
http://www.allbusiness.com/services/amusement-recreation-services/4580460-1.html

As for a Disney park near Joplin, there has been no news since those rumors circulated last April.  Just reading different sources, it seems unlikely.  You can read more about how those rumors got started here:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/224007/rumors_circulate_a_possible_disney.html?cat=16
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:11:56 AM by sdcforever »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:13:53 PM »
^Thanks for the links sdcforever. I've heard about the Disney park in Missouri for a long time. I doubt it would ever happen. If it did, it wouldn't be near as successful as the two other American resorts. Of course, there are almost always Disney rumors floating around.

But if it did happen, how do you think it would affect SDC? I think SDC's attendance would go WAY down (at least in the beginning) and the park wouldn't ever be near as successful as it is today. All because the mouse decided to drop a visit to Missouri and the park would have the name "Disney" in it.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:20:36 PM »
^You're welcome, Coaster.

I think SDC attendance would really suffer if a Disney park opened in southern Missouri, mainly because of the name recognition, like you said.  The long term effect would all depend on the size and theming of the Disney park.  I'm sure the Disney park would be much larger, more focused on larger thrill rides, and (most importantly) less personable than SDC.  So, assuming that SDC could weather the early storm of novelty for the Disney park, I think SDC could coexist with a Disney park in the vicinity.

That being said, I'm with you.  I don't believe Disney would ever build a park in southern Missouri.  I don't think it's a very viable area for them. 

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 06:31:41 PM »
I think the media pretty much scared away whoever was trying to buy the land for Disney (or for whatever reason).  They pounced on the issue and exposed it to the point that prices would go way up on the land.

That being said, SDC could even profit off another big park as long as it increased the volume of people to the area, much in the same way Universal does.  I agree, however, that it would be a huge blow and would take some slim times.

Putting the park near Joplin would really hurt, though, but locating it closer to SDC would actually be preferable in this case.  These rumors are often spread buy the timeshare people though, and are used to convince people that their timeshare purchase will be worth so much more in the future.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:14:45 PM »
^I didn't think about the timeshare owners.  Spreading these kind of rumors is clearly a good way to attract business for them.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 12:36:09 AM »
It looks like the Oz plan is a bust:

http://www.ljworld.com/section/oz

In the meantime, is the Lego park near KC also out?  I haven't heard anything about it lately.

And where are we in the Schlitterbahn process?  Getting there or not?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

Re: Ozland and Joplin Disney
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 09:18:49 AM »
^Well, Legoland Missouri is hoping to open next summer.  They have a website you can check out:  http://www.legolandmissouri.com/

There's a July 14th Screamscape update on Schlitterbahn in KC.  They want to open by next summer, but they're still in the land clearing stages so next summer may be a stretch.  You can check out the update on this page:  http://www.screamscape.com/html/water_parks.htm

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 10:09:51 PM »
^They have been in the land clearing stages for a long time it seems. I think next year will be a stretch.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 08:48:11 AM by Coaster »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 08:48:19 AM »
Talking about Disney and timeshares though, someone I know who owns a timeshare in Branson was offered 28,000 dollars for it because Disney was "guaranteed" to come to Branson. Once he "researched" the subject he found out that Disney was in fact coming to Missouri.

I'll believe it when I see it, but I think these are all rumors.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 10:04:29 PM »
I hope he grabbed the cash and ran!
 :o

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 08:00:10 PM »
^Nope, he didn't sell it. He believes that Disney is coming to the Ozarks and that he can get more money for his timeshare.  ::)

I would've sold it. :D

sdcforever

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 08:16:20 AM »
And where are we in the Schlitterbahn process?  Getting there or not?

It was just announced that Schlitterbahn will be completed in phases.  They plan to have the first phase completed in 2009 which will include some lodging and some of the shops.  The entire project is planned for completion by summer 2011.  Read about it here:
http://www.screamscape.com/html/water_parks.htm

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 10:30:25 PM »
Disneyland in Joplan?
Joplin is okay, but nowhere near enough of a tourist attraction
to fathom a Disneyland. If it did happen, that would be bad news for SDC, Six Flags, Worlds of Fun, Magic Springs, and anything else in the area.