Author Topic: 2014 Trip Reviews  (Read 61909 times)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Trip Reviews
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 12:04:19 PM »
Thanks for the pics. Looks pretty desolate that day. Not sure how I like all the flags and bunting. It just looks out of place to me. Maybe when the park greens up it will look better.

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »
Good pics Sanddune.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 03:13:47 PM »
Looks like a yucky day. Reminds me of the day after Christmas 2011. Ugly Weather.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 03:41:01 PM »
thanks all!

yea, okie it was bad.. I fully intended to make a full circle...  LOL...  didn't happen.!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 07:05:12 PM »
Thanks for the pictures...terrible day to be on park, though!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

GoBears

• View Profile
    • SFGAm Nation
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 09:37:32 PM »
Outlaw Run, here I come! Goodbye northern Illinois and your horrible weather and hello 70 degrees on Thursday and Friday in Branson! I'll post my trip report when I get back this weekend.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2014, 12:40:31 PM »
Just a quick trip review.

Went on Wednesday, March 19th. It was cold in the morning but once the sun broke through the clouds it turned into a real nice day. Saw a lot of Red White and Blue, some of it was done nicely, but the flags on the "heart attack" hill just seemed out of place, or done wrong (looked very temporary). Only other "complaint" is the banner flags that are on the light poles along the entrance roadway...they look more like they represent France or something than USA. But overall the theme is carried throughout very well.

Too many shops closed (why is the candle shop closed?), but we'll be back later in the year to catch up on all that. Also closed (that I didn't expect) was Grandfather's Mansion.

Food was great, and I was able to get the kids to Molly's before the park opened and we sat at the trick table - It was a blast. I'm so glad that it worked out for them to be able to experience that unique attraction at the park. Only complaint regarding food was the giant cookie was "hard" and crumbled. I like my cookies to be soft, so I was just a little disappointed.

Rides.......there were no lines for the American Plunge, River Battle or the Lost River, they were open, but at 37 degrees, no one was riding (I did see some brave folks later in the day when temperatures actually made it into the 50's). Most everything else was open (swinging ship was closed) and lines were short with the exception of Powder Keg, that line was completely full and extending beyond the entrance. I don't know if the ride wasn't being ran to capacity....or just that many people wanted to ride. Wildfire was a two train wait, and Outlaw Run was a 15 minute wait.

Outlaw Run dispatch is slow. There are times when it seems like there is excessive waiting and then someone says "go" and they start to check restraints, etc. I don't know the park policies, but if this is for our safety then I'm all for it. I do not consider myself "fat" or "thin" pretty average but I did have to adjust myself a little for the restraint to be acceptable....I also saw quite a few people having to leave the station without getting to ride. No rhyme or reason though, some big people were definitely riding, then I would say some "stocky" people where being sent off the ride. I guess it has a lot to do with body type than fat? The seat belts are a non issue regarding affecting the ride, the ride operator just said they have to be buckled and do not have to be tight. Just as long as they are across your body and latched together is all they were requiring on Wednesday. The ride was even better this year than I remember, this thing is the best coaster I have ever experienced.

The park was clean, looked great, even the Kettle Corn shop looked great. The temporary hammer game does not look permanent, and in it's location isn't as bad as I thought - but if they are going to keep it, it would work much better as part of the exposition than the river front.

Construction was going full blast, and was loud - concrete was being broken, trees cut, trees mulched, lots of heavy equipment in there too. Can't wait to see how this progresses through the year.

Overall, we had a great time as usual, looking forward to the park being fully open.

Jay

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2014, 04:43:58 PM »
Not to be picky (and not that the general public cares), but the 50-star flags really are out of the basic theme of the park (that is, the former theme).

When we were in one area, one of the citizens had a walkie talkie at his belt.  The thing kept talking as we conversed.  I made the comment that it must be one of those new-fangled 1880s radio things, to which he responded that we lucky to have any of the 1800s left in the park.  He acknowledged that parents are no longer interested in imparting heritage to their children, and the park is leaning more and more toward rides, games, and concessions.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »
cowboy sounds like a good visit , with very few "problems"////.......  glad It went well.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2014, 06:07:05 PM »
^^There is at least a basic theme to the park, unlike Dollywood
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2014, 06:24:26 PM »
The basic theme is not as tight as it could be, though.  I see it fading toward the same direction as Dollywood in the near future.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2014, 07:36:35 PM »
STAY IN THEME SDC!!!!!
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2014, 08:46:26 PM »
The basic theme is not as tight as it could be, though.  I see it fading toward the same direction as Dollywood in the near future.

You see a 50s section and a random firestation on the side of a mountain?
Not happening.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2014, 08:49:12 PM »
Not yet...