Author Topic: Why not an opening festival?  (Read 7665 times)

ThemeParkFan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Why not an opening festival?
« on: February 16, 2014, 12:51:52 PM »
Does anyone know why Silver Dollar City opens and runs nearly a month without a Festival?  I think the Festivals bring out the best in the park and gives it a variety that I wish more parks would emulate, and since I'm not from the area, I like to plan my visits around them.  I plan visits during school breaks, and like many others, my Spring Break falls in March.  Dollywood runs its Festival of Nations right off the bat. Even though I like Silver Dollar City more, I always choose Dollywood over SDC during Spring Break simply because they have a Festival going on and more options as a result (they also usually have better hours, Festival or not).  I'm sure I'm not the only one in that position.  So why the hesitation to open each year with a bang? 

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Why not an opening festival?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 02:26:29 PM »
For a year or two, SDC had a spring festival that focused on gardening (flowers, landscaping, and such).  The park was decked out with flowers like never since.  I enjoyed it for that simple fact, but not for the "tips" and sales booths of gardening tools, garden tractors, and "miracle" fertilizers (as I remember it).  It is cold and often rainy during the opening days, and though they have brought in some local "cheap" acts, I don't think they justify any extra expense until later when they need to entertain people more in order to keep wait times lower on the rides.  Maybe I'm weird, and I am, but I plan most of my trips around the festivals, too...to avoid them.  I prefer SDC unplugged - except at Christmas, of course.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 07:37:56 PM »
Weather and lower crowds early in the year are probably why no festival. They are just opening up for the new season, and are giving everything a test run (things added or changed over winter) before the first festival complicates things. It takes manpower and time to set up or strip down a festival, and when dealing with guest acts or guest crafters, there are a bunch of outsiders roaming around that need help prior to rope drop.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 11:25:25 PM »
Either the weather is great and the park is packed or the weather is not and no one is there.  It is a huge hit and miss for the park and it it is darn near impossible to predict.
SWOOSH

misskim

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 06:19:31 AM »
I just wish they'd have some shows up and running during Spring Break. Last year we went on a fairly cold day and the park was packed. I'm pretty sure the saloon show wasn't running yet (but that may have been because it was a new show and they were still working out the kinks) and there was only 2 or 3 shows going during the day. The really good shows seem to be themed to the festival, so I guess I'd jump on the we need an opening festival bandwagon. Last year was really frustrating. We went specifically to ride Outlaw Run, it was down all morning but they kept letting people stand in line and saying it would open soon. There were only a few shows going and they were in outdoor theaters (and did I mention it was cold?). Employees seemed grumpy and unhelpful. Many shops and food stands were not open and the park was crowded.

We didn't buy season passes this year and my issues with the park over Spring Break is a huge reason. I understand that the crowd varies, etc but if you're going to be open, be fully open.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 11:49:33 AM »
The past couple of years, the only shows going on are Pure Heart, Sons of the Silver Dollar, Homestead Pickers and then they will bring in the Science Magic show guy (he wears the tie dye lab coat).  Saloon Show doesn't open until World Fest, same with Cajun Connection.
SWOOSH

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 01:48:58 PM »
These are the shows playing during Spring Break Days.   

•Southern Gospel trio Lineage of David - March 14-16
•Magic, comedy and more from the Master of Variety, Mike Bliss - March 14-16, 19-21 & 27-30
•The Berry Brothers Country Variety Show - March 19-23
•Lindley Creek presents toe-tapping bluegrass & gospel - March 19-23 and 27, 28 & 30
•Swing St. Louis takes the stage with Big Band era songs, dance & costumes - March 22-23
•Christian music from The Goulds - March 27, 28 & 30

These are the Shops that will be open. 

Apple Butter Shop, Ashley's Tintype Photography, Bears at the Holler, Becca's House, Bishop's Watercolor Art, Bittersweet Gallery, Brown's Candy Factory, Cedar Creek Dulcimers, Christmas Hollow, Dazzle Magic Shop, General Store, Gill Wire Jewelry, Greene's Wagon Train Dolls, Hazel's Blown Glass, Heartland Home Furnishings, Hillcreek Pottery, Honey Heaven, hospitality House, Huck's Hidden Treasure Sluice, Huff's Gallery, Inventers Warehouse, JJ Fiddlestick's Toy Shop, Maple's Tole Painting, Miss Kate's Quilts, Moon Valley Waxworks, Ozark Marketplace, Taffy Shop, Powderkeg Store, Smokehouse Jerky, Sparkle by Angle Do, Sullivan's Mill, The Greatest Gift, Tom and Huck's everything you need store, 2 sisters Jewelry, Western Missouri Stage Coach Supply, White River Bath and Body, Wilderness Road Blacksmith Shop. 
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

ThemeParkFan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 05:14:58 PM »
Perhaps it is less about there not being a festival and more the idea that the park is not "fully open."  I'm of the mindset that once a park is open, it should be fully open-all rides, shops, and restaurants at the very least.  This has become frustrating over the past few years at the park closest to me, Six Flags Great America, which used to be really good about having everything together for opening day. Last year was a fiasco with some of the most popular roller coasters in the park still didn't have all of their trains ready until the middle of July!  Granted, it's a completely different park in a different market that is more ride-focused and has a longer off-season.  And it is nice that SDC at least lets you know that some of the shops have later opening dates. 

Still, I think that any park's core should be fully ready when they open.  For Six Flags, that would be all rides open with all trains ready.  For SDC, that would be all shops open and a good selection of shows ready.  What they have is, again, better than what Six Flags but I feel they could do better.  It sounds like there are times where not being fully open in March is negatively affecting some people's experiences.

About the weather...I know that March can be iffy in general, but is it that much colder than Dollywood?  On both days I was there last March it was below 40 degrees when the park opened, but nothing was closed down and it warmed up a bit in time.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »
Last year was an unusually cold spring for the Branson area.  Tennessee is going to warm up sooner bc they are further south.  I have never attended Spring Break, and probably won't, but I have to agree that I would not be happy either if arrived at park and found out that a good deal of it was not open.  If this is typical during Spring Break, I think a ticket shouldn't cost as much as it does during the rest of the year.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 10:13:53 PM »
I think we're noticing the difference because it used to be that the park didn't open for the season until the first day of World Fest in April. But now they have the extra "Spring Break Days" in March, so they extended the season backwards from where it used to be.

So the official start of the season I'd say is still the first day of World Fest, and "Spring Break Days" are kind of a "preview" of the season with not everything up and running yet (and the weather being a bit more iffy).

misskim

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 05:59:30 AM »
So the official start of the season I'd say is still the first day of World Fest, and "Spring Break Days" are kind of a "preview" of the season with not everything up and running yet (and the weather being a bit more iffy).

I'd agree.. but the park is open and they're charging full price during Spring Break days. Therefore, I should get the full benefit of my season pass and things should be open and running. According to the schedule posted, there were only 3 or 4 shows total going during the time we were there last year. That's not nearly enough when you have a park full of people who are freezing and most of the rides are shut down.

Regarding weather, last year a table was posted showing the temps for each ride to run. We went on a very cold day, wind chills in the 30s. It was technically warm enough for Outlaw Run to be running but they couldn't get it going correctly due to the temps (it may have been that the wind chill was below the temp they needed). Yes, I knew the temp when I arrived at the park. I also knew at what temp Outlaw Run would be operating and knew it should be running. It didn't happen, nor did most of the other outdoor rides get up and running until after noon... by then we had left the park because without shows, it wasn't fun standing in the cold with nothing to do.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 08:39:57 AM »
I am sure last spring is a perfect example as to why there is no "spring festival".. after all it is still march early april....  cold, wet, and nasty is to be expected......

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 10:18:09 AM »
I'm thinking they should have a grand opening every year. Like the first day of worldfest could correspond with a grand opening celebration. I think that would be something they could do.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 01:47:40 PM »
I agree with Okie. I think a "Grand Opening" would be an added bonus. 

I guess my big argument about opening season at SDC is admission fees.  I understand with various weather conditions, it is real hard to "guarantee" everything will be open. I think with "limited opening" conditions, maybe the price of admission should reflect that also. (Less attractions available=less money for admission).  ----  Unless you have a season pass of course.

However (looking from a guest POV) I see no reason to not have all the shows operating. Im sure there are reasons if you could just peek in to the private offices, but from a guest view. I think the shows should operate from day one to the last day.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 10:56:44 PM »
All of the rides ARE open though.  That's the real reason most people are going to Spring Break anyway.  So I don't see a need for discounted admission
SWOOSH