Author Topic: Silver Dollar City E-bay finds  (Read 39671 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Silver Dollar City E-bay finds
« on: February 09, 2014, 08:43:52 AM »
I just searched 20+ pages on E-bay & found a lot of interesting & unusual things. I am just curious if you all would like to see some of them, i have 60 pictures ready to go. Some of the stuff we may have already seen, & some maybe not.
Like, who would not want a SDC match book?!!

Let me know ya all..
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Dollar City E-bay finds
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 10:10:54 AM »
There was a time when pipe tobacco was sold in the General Store. You got a book of matches with your purchase. At some shop locations...like the candle shop, matches were sometimes laid out on the counter for free or for sale. When the matches became scarce items on park, employees who smoked would smack your hand if you tried to take their book of matches. One of our maintenance guys at the diving bell somehow secured a partial box of them, and hoarded them for later use. He actually let me have a couple of books, which was like the president giving a  pardon. I felt lucky to get them!
--
YES, please post more photos of the best ebay finds of SDC stuff, I WANT TO SEE THEM! :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:12:27 AM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:50:39 AM »
I am kind of anxious to see if you & Rube have some of these items! My brother told me about all this, he said there is 59 pages to look thru!!

Nice SDC ashtray, & thimble.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:52:42 AM by How-doFolks »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 07:48:36 PM »
I for some reason cannot see any of the photos, but i can say I have everything from SDC coasters (cardboard) to thimbles, and yes even matchbooks...I am eager to attempt to see what You are talking about. I rarely bid on things only because I do have a good amount of them. I have picked up a few items from eBay lately, but nothing too odd, just things that came up that I didn't have, angles of postcards from different places etc.

Sister got me a backwoods patch from 1977 that was a boy scout thing...and I got a few VERY cool things at Christmas.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:41:06 PM »
Switched to Chrome and could see them, yep that's the matchbook I have! Some of my stuff makes me wonder how I have only in my 30 years seen 1-2 of certain things. I know things were MASS produced, but it is funny how few items of certain kinds actually come up for sale.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 09:54:19 PM »
I understand the Herschends have a large, private collection of items, I just wish they would put it on display somewhere.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 05:36:03 AM »
A small pill box & another ashtray. Makes ya wonder how many types of ashtrays have been made at SDC over the years. :D

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 07:49:05 AM »
Junior... they could gut Jacks sanich shop and display in there.... I am sure not everything would fit, but that would so neat to see,,

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 10:49:09 AM »
I have about a dozen different glass ashtrays.  When I had them autograph the board game, Jack said he had no memory of it, to which Sherry replied, "We never thought about keeping one of each item..."

If "Rube" and I ever get a hold of an old cabin, the two of us would have QUITE a collection to display! :)
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 04:53:36 PM »
I will let you in on a secret...hope RUBE does not mind...A couple of times when my collection has gotten too much to handle, I've packed it up and shipped it to Rube, so he could add to his collection. I just hope I have not sent him doubles or triples of things he already has! HA! For the most part, I'm down to the paper things I have in my files, and a few odd pieces left over from my days of employment on park. Others have been kind to me regarding sharing their collections...I think three or four others here sent me items relating to the 50th anniversary, or some odd piece they picked up somewhere and had an extra copy of. We all love the park, so I think it is great we share our collectables. Just wish there was a central place we could put it on display. To the hardcore SDC fan, it would be a cool trip back in time to see all that stuff.  :)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 07:04:11 PM »
SDC Cook Book.
SDC hat pin

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Not a problem Junior, I still feel that my work for you did not warrant such a generous payment, but I am not one to argue!

I do have a sizable collection that even after showing an employee of HFEC my full collection, let me know that they indeed have a large collection that is very well documented with SDC/ Marvel Cave history. What fun that would be to see that as an exhibit at SOTO! I would pay to see that one (Heck I paid to sit in the Beverly Hillbillies Truck!).

I did get one great piece recently from a close friend that is something I have never seen, a booklet titled "Ozark Folklife Festival 1986) where among the stories of craftsmen and recipes, there is a great map with areas of the park labeled for various countries, very much a Worldfest idea going on here.

Cover:

Town Square

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 08:47:51 PM »
That is cool Rube!!

Echo hollow shirt.
SDC coloring postcard book.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 05:00:53 AM »
Love all the pictures...keep them coming, please.  :)

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 08:08:42 AM »
Wow, I love the map of the town square. I've never seen a map with a view from the opposite direction, pretty cool!
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"