Author Topic: Working at SFSL  (Read 6003 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Working at SFSL
« on: February 06, 2014, 04:25:12 AM »
From time to time we have had folks mention on the threads here that they once, or currently, have worked for Six Flags St. Louis. I'm a fan of that park, too...simply because of childhood memories going back to their first season of visiting the park with family. There is an old, old thread or two about people telling their experiences of working there, but it has been a while since we have heard from anyone. So, if you once or currently work at SFSL, tell us some stories...where you worked, what that park was like from the perspective of an employee, and a few ghost stories...I have heard several locations on the park are supposed to be haunted. How does the whole experience leave you feeling? Stories, please.  Photos if you have got them. Thanks, all.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Working at SFSL
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »
I didn't work there, but I used to love to visit when it first open.  It was clean, clean, clean, and the food was good.  I remember the giant sandwiches, chips, and drink that could be purchased for a few dollars.  Like you, Junior, I have happy memories of that place.  It was the place to go for a summer date, even though it was as hot as blazes!  Frozen yogurt was a new fad food, and huge cones could be purchased.  Strawberry was the best!  One weekend a bunch of college friends stayed at my home, and we went to Six Flags.  Fun times!  Back then, free concerts by well known groups were held on the weekend. While we were waiting for the concert to begin, it began raining.  A very new army private unfolded his raincoat and asked me to wear it to keep dry.  I remember it being folded in a square like a flag.  His buddies used theirs as a seat cushion.  ;D 

It was years before I returned, and I was aghast at the change.  As a teacher, I always got a free ticket for entering my students in the Read to Succeed program.  I decided it was time to use a ticket and I found that it was expensive, not as clean, the trees had all grown up, no more concerts, and cartoon characters had taken over the place.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 03:02:52 PM »
My good friend worked there from 1997-2000 in the Palace and I have heard many stories about the park.

I have been going regularly since 1992, at that time having been almost decade since my last visit. Now 22 years later, the change in just the past 2 decades is overwhelming. Not the out with the old, in with the new concept, but the buildings/ facades of many of the original 1971. I go yearly with our school as well, and each year, pieces are continually falling into disrepair, and are torn out for newer rides/ attractions.

Original to the park from 1971 are:
River King Mine train
Six Flags Railroad
Log Flume
Injun Joe's Cave (now Scooby Doo)
Moon Cars (there but not used)SBNO- standing but not operating
Tiltmore Hotel-SBNO- Portion used as a ticket booth for season passes
Hannibarrels -were SBNO since 1996 reportedly removed at the end of 2013 for a water ride

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 03:19:57 AM »
Rube- The Moon cars are still in use, just the track is extremely small now. Basically it makes a circle under "Evil Knevil" (Or whats it called now--American Thunder I think)

Tiltmore Hotel is the Season Pass Processing (upstairs portion) and the snack shack area of the que line for Thunder River (downstairs portion).

Give me some time. I will post up several pics I have collected of a very old (or should I say) a very new SFSL (Six Flags over Mid America) in that day.

I just wish I could get enough pay there to quit my actual job. I worked at SFSL for 2 seasons. The most fun I ever had at work in my entire 32 years of working.  Truthfully the only reason I did not go back for year 3 (and beyond) is because it was just too hard to work 2 jobs anymore. I have tendenitis in my ankle, which causes me to walk with a limp, in turn I have serious back aches quite frequently.  It is hard enough to stand/walk on concrete 40 hours, much less another 20 at SFSL.  But WOW! Was it fun working there. (Not to mention the "eye candy" especially the first year when I worked often in Hurricane Harbor  ;D)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:21:52 AM by qwed94 »
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »
I would work there if it wasn't for the 45 min drive to get low wages! I actually worked at the school directly across the hwy from here for a year over a decade ago.

I guess since our days are specifically for school trips, they just have less staff, so only the thrill rides are running. I haven't been on the cars in years. We eat lunch in the area that used to be the queue for the Moon Cars. murals and all are still there depicting the 1904 World's Fair, and the gazebos took the place of many of the areas such as the covered bridge, the roadways etc.

I have been in the upper portion of the "Hotel" not knowing what it was this location previously, I figured it out later.

The big ride I am interested in is the "Mississippi Adventure" that was replaced the by Thunder River Raft Ride.

I referenced Injun' Joe's Cave, and found a great blog with photos from this long lost ride:
http://matterhorn1959.blogspot.com/2009/12/six-flags-over-mid-america-mississippi.html

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 04:25:17 PM »
I used to like the Mississippi River Adventure ride.  I remember somewhere in that area (I think) was the hut that sold Mexican Sombrero hats.  I remember I had one of those hats for years.
Realize, I was a youngin then, but I think the Mexican restaurant (NOW) used to be the que line for the Mississippi boat ride.

You mentioned the 45 minute trip to SFSL. It might be a bit more economical for me. Im about 20 minutes away.

I guess one of my greatest memories of SFSL is 1976. (you guessed it) the first year of "The Screamin Eagle". Just me and my Dad rode that thing probably 50 times that first year. I remember you had to get your hand stamped (Which depicted the time you can enter the que line to ride the eagle).   I do remember standing in a line that started out taking you thru several aisles in the ampitheatre BEFORE going thru the dedicated (constructed) Eagle que line. It was always a minimum of 2 hours wait.
Tim

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 04:42:55 PM »
OK here is a photobucket link to several old SFSL pics I have found on various sites

http://s772.photobucket.com/user/tim_m_2010/library/SF%20pics?sort=3&page=1

If you click on the thumbnails, they "should" enlarge for you.  I have posted descriptions also. Be sure to read them for a little placement history

Enjoy everyone ---- Feels weird posting SFSL pics on an SDC site.  But Im sure some will appreciate. Rube, you probably remember some of these. I know I sure do.  Swoosh are you old enough to remember some of these?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:57:35 PM by qwed94 »
Tim

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »
Wonderful pictures, thanks for posting. I have fond memories of Injun Joe's Cave, then later it was the Time Tunnel. The Mississippi River Ride was where the rapids ride is now. It was like Jim Owens' Float Trip Ride at SDC. A gentle ride along the river, various scenes, like deer on the bank, wolf howling at you, an attack by Indians with bows and arrows, and a few other scenes.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 10:48:50 PM »
Junior--YES you are right. Miss River Ride was fun back then (well the corny jokes was lame) but the whole scheme of it was a lot of fun. Yes it was where Thunder River is now. You entered the ride where the Mexican food joint is today, and the boats went in the opposite direction that Thunder River goes now.

Injun Joes is still my favorite version of that ride too. After Injun Joes it transformed in to Time Tunnel which was decent I guess. IMO better than what it became next-Castaway Kids. That was a rather boring ride IMO.  Now it is Scooby Doo. It is actually nice now, but Injun Joes was the best.

-----Working at SFSL was never stressful for me. Yea we were busy at times, but once a line forms, there is just going to be a line. I just learned to hurry guests thru when you can, but ALWAYS take enough time with every guest to make them feel wanted.  If you treat EVERY guest as someone "needed" and the park could not operate without them that day, then nobody will leave unhappy. Even the last person in the long line will leave happy if you treat him/her as they are wanted and needed.

Tim

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 06:41:35 AM »
Castaway Kids did stink...a very cheap, cut rate theming of the ride. Was glad to see it go. Don't think I've rode the ride since it became Scooby Doo, haven't been there since 1996 or '97.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 06:27:39 PM »
I remember Injun Joes!  That was one of my favorites!  My younger brother worked at Six Flags the summer after his graduation.  I do remember being there once after it was changed into Castaway Kids - and you're right - it was boring. I liked the moon cars, too.  A silly ride, but nostalgic ride.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 11:37:51 PM »
Well I think a ride like the Moon cars should be a staple at every park. "Including" SDC.  Yeah its easy to say that an early 1900s car, is NOT from the 1800s - OOOPS out of theme.

Well, it is a ride that the kids very much enjoy. All kids wants to be big, driving a car is a sign of being big.  I think the old cars could fit in at SDC, even if its in the GE area.
Tim

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 07:54:58 PM »
Qwed94... Cars? that's what the Gandy Dancer was for!

I have some family photos that I did the "then and now" like I am in the habit of doing that I'll post in the next day or two.

Castaway Kids only nice theming was the exterior with a volcano that would erupt occasionally. Scooby Doo is a laser shootout type ride. Pretty nice for a good site and relax after standing in lines all day with middle schoolers. Benefit? it isn't a tunnel of love make-out ride like Castaway Kids was when I was in Middle and High School!

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 07:52:05 PM »
I know--I know. I heard all you old timers already, at least 38,000 times about a slow car ride in the park.  Yes I know its boring as "well" for us.  Im just trying to keep in mind that SDC is not all about us. SDC is a family place located in a resort town. Its not a day care center like SFSL or WOF. I do know that the old cars is one of the most popular (and busiest) rides anywhere you see them (especially at SFSL).   The kids just dearly love them. I still think they should be in SDC somewhere. The GE area would be a "grand" fit for them.

You know I dont care much for Barney the purple dinosaur either. He drives me bananas. however my wife babysits 7 kids. They love Barney, and to be truthful. He does teach the kids good things.

Its time we discard our own feelings at times, and think about kids (especially our long list of teachers on this forum) and realize kids like to drive (Mom & Dad) in the car rides. I think we need them.
Tim

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 08:13:46 PM »
38,001.  Are you just tryin' to kick up the dust?  If we insist on a "driving" ride, let's create something that's drivable that still fits the theme.  SDC stays unique by making things fit.  When they try to stretch outside of the theme (i.e., remote control boats in Lake Silver), it turns out to be a waste of their time and capital.  Keep watching:  something could happen with GGII.  Plus, the cars make a big footprint.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating