Author Topic: Services, products you'd like to see at SDC  (Read 17037 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Services, products you'd like to see at SDC
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 10:16:40 PM »
Just a question:  doesn't someone manually update a digital sign, as well?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »
Not if you set up an alogarithm. It wouldn't be that hard to program.
Each ride's time when updated at that particular attraction would connected to the central computer which runs the information boards and coincidentally updates them.  As for the show times, that can be programmed to update automatically.

I know what you are saying "but someone has to update the times at each attraction" -- well if they do it like they do at Disney, they periodically give a person a scan card necklace at the entrance that is scanned by the attraction greeter.  Then the guest takes the card through the queue and then when they are next to get on the ride, the load ambassador takes the card and scans it again and that updates the time.  So not really any additional staffing.
SWOOSH

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 01:31:06 AM »
What did I say? As soon as I mention something a bit more modern I get hammered about "keeping the 1800s theme"

First off. I am trying to attract new guests here.  They will appreciate some information stations throughout the park.   Im talking about little KIOSKS every so often where the guests may use them if they want.   

As far as watching some history and or promoting different areas of SDC while standing in a que line.  Well trust me, it is real nice.  I promise these things will NOT make you older guests (who has been to SDC 157 billion times) not come back. If it does, maybe the problem lies deeper than a TV monitor.  And the SDC newbies will absolutely love this new stuff. (Remember I heard lots of comments on these things at SFSL. All was positive).  SFSL doesnt even have all this info that Im saying we should get at SDC.

You all seem to be APP crazy. I think the APP idea is nice, and it is available now. However I dont have a SMART (stupid) phone so I dont get those APPs.  Not only that, but I generally dont take my phone to SDC - WOF - SF - ETC.  I have witnessed too many lost or damaged phones working in lost & found at SFSL.  I dont carry my phone, I cant get the APP.  Therefore, the APP is useless to me (and the many others who DONT carry their phone to a park like SDC.

I know the older we get, the harder it is to adapt to change. Im starting to feel it myself. My Dad proves this to me every time I see him.  But with an aging tourist base. We must change to attract younger guests, or the industry will collapse.  Because quite honostly, all the kids want to do anyway is play XBOX. Travel means nothing to them.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 04:49:08 AM »
"All the kids want to do is play XBOX. Travel means nothing to them." Is that what the "zombie apocalypse" means? (Ha!) 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 08:13:20 AM »
I know I will get some flack for this but I would like the park to allow ATT or Verizon to put a tower close by. ( not something you could see from within the park)  I have been to the park many times when the kids have it so overloaded that you cant call members of your party.  We used to make it without cell phones but some people need a string tied to them so you can keep together.   This is something that they might be able to mount to the side of a lift hill that would assure better service in the parks.   Also SDC might consider providing a wi-fi network to jump onto when you are in the park.  A busy Christmas evening combined with trying to use there app in the park is sometimes impossible.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
I would still like to see some webcams scattered around the park so I can "visit" whenever I want...even in the offseason. 

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 06:24:20 PM »
Swoosh, are there still signs out there in the queue world that indicate "30 minute wait from here", "45 minute wait from here"?  No staff at all needed for updating those if they are correctly placed.

That scan card thing at Disney drives me crazy.  My wife had to carry several of those in our visit, last summer - at times when there was no line at all.  It just felt like we were doing someone else's job.

I know, too, after standing in lines at Universal and Sea World, that I got so tired of seeing and hearing the same awful videos over and over (Sea World was the worst at this, with absolutely no regard to the theme of the ride.).

I know, Qwed, I'm a stickler for theme.  It hurts me to see SDC become more and more amusement park and less theme park.  I just don't buy the idea that we have to become more like the rest of the world in order to retain our customers (For the record, I believe the same thing about the church.).

What works for SDC is its unique blend of history, tongue-in-cheek humor, and clean family fun (for all ages), but we all know that.  If screens could be blended in to the queue without looking like wall-mounted TVs, there might be a way to do it.  I wouldn't be opposed to it if done with class.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 07:39:57 PM »
I know I will get some flack for this but I would like the park to allow ATT or Verizon to put a tower close by. ( not something you could see from within the park)  I have been to the park many times when the kids have it so overloaded that you cant call members of your party.  We used to make it without cell phones but some people need a string tied to them so you can keep together.   This is something that they might be able to mount to the side of a lift hill that would assure better service in the parks.   Also SDC might consider providing a wi-fi network to jump onto when you are in the park.  A busy Christmas evening combined with trying to use there app in the park is sometimes impossible.

There are two towers in the Jeff City area that are disguised as tall trees.  If they can do that here they can surely do that at SDC
SWOOSH

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 07:52:28 PM »
I would think someone makes or could make a clock with hour and minute hands that can be changed remotely. This would address the ride wait time issue without stepping out of theme. That is of course assuming that most people now a days can still tell time without a digital display.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 08:04:16 PM »

There are two towers in the Jeff City area that are disguised as tall trees.  If they can do that here they can surely do that at SDC

Or, perhaps, a treehouse...

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 09:13:00 PM »
As far as towers are concerned, near my work we have one big tower with a huge "Old Glory"  hanging on it. I think you could place that dead center in the square and be accepted. On a different note, those towers are noisy as WELL! So it needs to be a bit away.

Buff, I understand your point. I just know that some form of distraction is real nice in an hour long wait line. But it must be the proper message. I know. SDC can get that right.
My main point though is the info screens throughout the park. I'm not sure I want huge TVs hanging everywhere, but small little kiosks spread around would be a real big treat. IMO. Again, it must give quick info. Show times, ride wait times, food choices, ETC. The info would be at hand, the kiosks would be seen, but not in direct sight. If you don't. Want to use them, don't. But have availabile for those who wants them
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 02:13:04 PM »
I would still like to see some webcams scattered around the park so I can "visit" whenever I want...even in the offseason. 

I like this idea!!

Super

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 06:51:02 PM »
Move the picture pickup area in the Marketplace on the way out the exit.  The line is a mess.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 08:26:48 PM »
Move the picture pickup area in the Marketplace on the way out the exit.  The line is a mess.
I'm sure it's there because it's a prominent location that everyone passes.  The same could be served by moving the line to behind the counter.  That would get it out of the traffic and still be prominently placed - even if the counter and the aisle had to be shifted out.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 08:30:15 PM »
I would like the entrance/exit area to be redone so that there is better flow.  I have no idea how they can do it without basically go in and start over but something needs to be done there.
SWOOSH