Author Topic: Checking in from New England  (Read 3416 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Checking in from New England
« on: January 11, 2014, 06:30:58 PM »
It's been a while since I've been on the forum, but life has been pretty busy.

I was selected for a promotion and finally got my transfer, to rejoin my wife and kids in New Hampshire. I didn't make it for Christmas, but I got here on the 30th. The weather has been great, until today -- it thawed and started raining, turning everything into ice.

Friends and family in NW Arkansas and SW Missouri have had almost as much snow as we've had this year.

But in prettier weather, here's the view from our living room window (the deer have really pawed up the snow under our apple trees!), a view along my daily drive to work, and a before-and-after picture that shows how much my wife accomplished on the house while we lived in different states for 15 months (the first picture was January 2013, and the second was December 31).

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Checking in from New England
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 06:39:50 PM »
Congratulations, house looks great. Winter in New England would be great for about a two week vacation...then I believe I'd be getting too cold. I'm used to living in the south, where I can wear a t-shirt on the back porch on a mild day in January. (Today) 51 degrees for a high. No more snow in sight! ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 08:17:14 PM »
Nice pics, house looks great! 

cant tell if your up there or in the ozarks.!!!  LOL......

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 08:32:39 PM »
Congratulations, house looks great. Winter in New England would be great for about a two week vacation...then I believe I'd be getting too cold. I'm used to living in the south, where I can wear a t-shirt on the back porch on a mild day in January. (Today) 51 degrees for a high. No more snow in sight! ;)

Maine during lobster season. My once upon a time step father worked in Maine for 8 months and my Mom went up there in late Jan to visit. She got up there just before a huge Nor Easter hit. She described it as the two most miserable weeks of her life.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 08:14:48 AM »
Good to hear that you've been able to rejoin your family. Looks like a nice area -- and from the winter we've had here in the Ozarks, it is difficult to know if your house and land is in NE or the Ozarks!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 10:45:54 PM »
Here are a couple of shots of the remodeled kitchen. The table is against the back of the fireplace, which opens onto the living room (where I sit typing this as my wife and daughter watch the Golden Globes).

Yes, that's a big white pole in the center, not a division between two different photos. It's load bearing, so it's essential for keeping the upstairs out of the kitchen. I hope to re-engineer the center beam to carry the whole load without the pole someday, but for now we have Sharpies hanging on it for guests to sign their names.  :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 05:20:10 PM »
Very nice, looks cozy!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"