Author Topic: Janet Dailey  (Read 2724 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Janet Dailey
« on: December 16, 2013, 05:11:15 PM »
I read today that Janet Dailey, the author, died.  KY3 mentioned she lived in Branson, but I thought she lived in Hollister.  I know that if you take a ride on the paddleboat her house is pointed out by the captain on the banks of Taneycomo. 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Dailey
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 05:30:14 PM »
Well, don't know what to say about this one. She had talent, but several years ago, she stole stuff from another author's books and put it into hers. She confessed, and after that, her place in the romance book world was seriously diminished. Don't know how many dozens and dozens of books she wrote. The book, "Foxfire Light" was about Branson. It came out in the late 70s. Her husband Bill died just a few years ago, and he was known for building and operating theaters in Branson. Seems like I remember a story from years ago where he got into an argument with some other hot shot from Branson and pulled a gun on him, I think at a restaurant. The land where Andy WIlliams' Theater is, and the hotel there, all was owned by the Daily's at one point. They planned in the early 80's to build a little theme park called Wildwood that never got built. The Daily's also purchased the old Hee Haw Theater in 1985, and operated it for 5 years as Country Music World before it was known as Gilley's. Bill shot the Stan Hitchcock Show (Sydicated country music TV show)at the old Courthouse Theater in SDC (Riverfront Playhouse) in the winter of 1979-80. Stan Hitchcock had a show at the time at the Old Sawmill Opry, which is just west of SDC across from the Best Western Hotel and serves as a church now. Stan Hitchcock was the guy in 1981 who staged an elaborately promoted Barbara Mandrell concert in the old Mutton Hollow, overselling the show by several thousand tickets, and then running off with the box office receipts while Barbara performed on stage! Hitchcock ran right to Nashville where he was a founding partner of Country Music Television (CMT) and made a bundle when it sold to one of the networks. Daily's Foxfire Light book was made into a locally produced Movie in 1982-83, and a few of my old Dugan pals played extras in that low budget movie. If you can find an old VHS copy of Foxfire Light, hang on to it, there are rare!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »
I read in one of the articles today.  300 books! lots of writing.!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:21:05 PM »
The movie is available for download or stream on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098A981K/ref=atv_feed_catalog?tag=imdb-amazonvideo-20

I was a bit surprised to see Leslie Neilsen as one of the stars.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 07:57:41 PM »
Yeah, I remember him in Branson doing the film. He was HOT at the time because of the movie AIRPLANE! which was a big hit. He knew my boss at Hee Haw Theater, and came by to hang out with the band and the star from the TV show that was playing there at the time. (I was off that night and didn't get to meet him.) Several SDC people and popular Branson entertainers are bit players in that film...it was a who's who of Branson, of sorts. Tippi Hendren was the other star in that movie...anybody ever see her in the famous shower scene from "The Birds?" A Hitchcock film.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 07:59:50 PM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »
I've heard the story of skipping out of town with theatre money.  I also heard she had a volatile relationship with her husband.  I guess they used to have knock down drag out fights.  Interesting facts…sadly, not good ones,

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 04:09:36 PM »
She and her husband both had talent. However, they both when upset could be hurricanes to contend with, I'm told. They were an interesting part of Branson history. RIP to them both, the journey's over.