Author Topic: Chain Restaurants at SDC?  (Read 20212 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Chain Restaurants at SDC?
« on: December 08, 2013, 06:34:51 PM »
Whitewater and Six Flags St. Louis have had chain restaurants...Dominos Pizza at WW, Six Flags has had McDonald's, Panda Chinese, and others. Do you think there is an area at SDC where chain food could be served...how about Ozark Marketplace and Hospitality House? I could see that. I personally do NOT want to see, say, a Wendy's or Applebee's on the town square, or in the old Big Jack's location. Any thoughts? If you had a large kids group with you, I could see taking everyone into Burger King in the Ozark Marketplace, say. How about it?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Chain Restaurants at SDC?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 06:59:37 PM »
Junior, I don't think the city has a place for a chain store. With all the food options they have now. no need to add anything else. .

IF they were to do a chain store, I would want it to be 100% themed.! No signage. just put them into an existing building..  BUT really what food do we need??..... 

UNLESS it was a good fresh made to order sandwhich.?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 08:11:38 PM »
There you go again, Junior - stirring the pot!

I would not like to see a chain restaurant, fast food or not; for me it would open the doors to too many other things.

Something like a Cracker Barrel could easily fit, but I don't want to eat something at SDC that I can get outside (and not pay admission).

It's not exactly a chain, but would we accept a Lambert's?  Imagine that!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 08:48:57 PM »
Nonsense, but in my reimagined Celebration City chain eateries would be part of it.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 09:38:29 PM »
No, no, no chains!  Puh-lease!  It would be kind of cool if you could call ahead and place a sack lunch order for kids.  Burger, pickle, chips, cookie, root beer in a SDC bag.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 09:58:49 PM »
no chains....

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 11:44:13 PM »
Well if SDC was to handle the big chains the same way SF handles them. There will not be any Im sure.  I know SFSL (anyway) still has Panda, and Johnny Rockets (at least until 2014-Im not sure about 2014).  They had Papa Johns for years too.  When SFSL had McDonalds was the year my Son worked at the local MickeyDs. SFSL would not let him work at the SF location because he was not an SFSL employee (even though he was a McDs employee).  Also (according to the local manager) SFSL was charging McDs a huge rent. Plus they had to charge the same prices that the other burger place in SFSL charged (which was way higher than any local McDs.).

Anyway-I have the same vote as you all. NO CHAINS.  I much prefer paying extra for SDC stuff as opposed to paying extra for something I can get a few miles away cheaper.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 05:40:28 AM »
Food and beverage sales account for much profit at theme parks. It does not surprise me that Six Flags charged the dickens out of the chains, making it hard for a chain to spend more than a few seasons in the park. SDC has done that with lease shop craftsmen in years past, and likely still does. If you want rental/lease space in a mall where two million people a year pass through, you will have to pay for the space, big time. Again, what is a theme park> A mall with rides, really.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sdcfan60

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 12:39:13 PM »
I hope Sdc does not get chain restaurants. Sometime's we will splurge there to get something we can't get anywhere else. The prices are higher than we would normally pay,but we really like the park,and that it still has the beliefs it has. My son is a manager at a Diary Queen at the mall in the town we live in,and says the rent is 10,000 a month. That's a lot of ice cream to sell,and make a profit.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 06:18:06 PM »
There's only one I would approve of. Nellie's. Headquartered in Walnut Grove, MN. ;)
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 12:49:28 AM »
There's only one I would approve of. Nellie's. Headquartered in Walnut Grove, MN. ;)

I guess I could judge more accurately if I had ever heard of Nellies, much less eaten there.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 06:59:52 AM »
We do not eat at chains when we travel, but try to seek out unique local places. Which is why we love Reeds Springs Pizza Company so much. Neither do we eat at the park, but I would hate to see the place invaded by these type of restaurants. I would much rather see a nice sit down upscale place that operates year round. Disney just survived a hail of criticism by locating a Starbucks on Main Street USA in the magic Kingdom.

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »
No chains. We rarely eat at chain restaurants, prefer sit down home cooking  places to eat.

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 03:26:54 PM »
I wouldn't mind an 1880s themed mock chain hamburger place.   That could be fun.   

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 04:09:31 PM »
Injun Joe, I think you are referring to the Wagon Works or Lumber Camp Restaurants...those are the two big hamburger places on park.  :)