Author Topic: Jim Bakker in Branson  (Read 7527 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Jim Bakker in Branson
« on: December 07, 2013, 03:53:30 PM »
Televangelist Jim Bakker and his current wife, Lori, have been a part of the Branson area for several years now. He used to do his TV show from Branson, but about 2008, moved to a location at Blue Eye, MO called Morningside. He has had something, but I don't know how much, to do with Angel Inn and Amazin' Inn, both in Branson, and his "friends" operate Morningside. I think the Promiseland Zoo is attached to Morningside as well. I'm not too sure about how deep his involvement is with all the side businesses, which resemble a scaled down Heritage USA. I wonder have any of you patronized these businesses, and have you ever ran into Bakker or his wife? Are they a respected part of the Branson area ministries/tourism related stuff, or are they outcasts who are held back at arms length? I'm just curious. Don't mean to offend anyone, either. Thanks for any info on this stuff.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Bakker in Branson
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 09:20:57 PM »
Junior, I think we may have driven by a place called Morningside on our way to pick blueberries this summer.  I recall seeing a restaurant.

The only time I ran into Jim Bakker was at the State Park Marina boat dock.  He pulled in in front of us (we had the right of way) and cut us off as we were coming in for gas. We swerved to get out of the way of his 60-80 foot houseboat.  He stepped off the boat to pay for gas, but the bikini clad babes on the top dock stayed on the boat. If there's anything that makes the hubs see red, it folks on the water that don't know maritime boating rules.   

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 07:54:50 AM »
Was a Shyster, likely still a Shyster.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 10:06:15 AM »
Chittlins, understand your feelings. I'm pretty much there, too. Especially after reading the post above yours. I imagine his "friends" assist him in some way with their various business ventures. My wife and I once stayed at Angel Inn, and frankly, it was a nice room and good service. When I went into the breakfast area, a large Jesus painting I had seen Bakker hawk on his program was hanging there, so I told my wife no more staying there...I believe he has some business interest in the motel. I do genuinely hope and pray he has reformed, but I suspect it really is a reinvention of sorts, a wolf in sheep's clothing he may be...but maybe not. Christian faith tells us to forgive someone no matter how many times they have done wrong, and that is the attitude to have. However, ALL of us are "works in progress," so to speak. I've made strides in the last few years becoming kinder and gentler, and I can forgive, but not forget. Pray for me and I will pray for you.
--
Again, I stress I'm not trying to upset anyone with my views about Bakker. It's just the way I view things from my front porch. You are entitled and encouraged to let your opinions flow here, too.
--
By the way, Wikipedia says Bakker still owes about $6 million to the IRS. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:07:23 AM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 12:56:57 PM »
I with junior and chittlins on this one.. :P

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 11:30:01 PM »
Well pretty much I feel the same way about several TV evangelists.  In the true Christian world I believe they are called "prosperity preachers".   Listen to them all Joyce Meyer, David Crank, even John Hagge (to a lesser degree). There are others too, many more.  Most of their messages is "give all your money to THIS Church, and God will give you riches"!  Well in Exodus, and in the gospels, it says (in some manner) that a camel has a better chance of going thru the eye of a needle--than a "rich" person has of going thru the gates of Heaven. Makes no sense for him to give us things that will prevent us from spending eternity with him. BTW-being RICH and being wealthy (or well to do is 2 different things). We generally go to God when we are a trainwreck, and he heals us.

Again AS MENTIONED ABOVE !!!!  Im not trying to upset anyone, or even trying to twist your opinions on any of these preachers. They all do preach good things too, that should be accepted. Im simply saying "be very careful in the things you hear".

Anyway, I dont suppose Ive ever seen Bakker. But I assume he would be no different than some others, likely boastfull and not very humble.

Please just be carefull who and what you listen to. Thats all Im saying.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 12:05:57 PM »
Christianity = good
Organized religion= bad

That's why I stay away from churches 

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 04:12:05 PM »
I take issue with the term "properity preacher"

1) I have never heard anyone say give your money to us and you will get rich - ever, and I watch Joyce Meyers, Joel Olsteen and Craig Goshchel (Lifechurch.tv) all the time. This is not the message that they are trying to communicate. It is more like "Follow the will of God and you will be blessed" and I believe that 100%.
2) That whole concept is not biblical - God promises we will have problems in this life.
3) I am not a trainwreck, but I would be without God.
4) It is not a sin to have money, it is a sin to let the money rule over you.

Matthew 19:23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”
25When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”
26Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 04:38:18 PM »
Christianity = good
Organized religion= bad

That's why I stay away from churches 

Well, yes and no. What do you mean by organized religion? The Vatican? The Southern Baptist Convention? How does one organize missions and such without organization. I think you mean the political aspect and the bureaucracy of some denominations. My kids are public school kids and I will not yank them out but if they were 4 all over again, they'd be in private school. Common Core is too much for me.

I can read, I have an education, and I can understand the Bible just as well as most Drs. of Theology. I view church as coming together with others for fellowship. But I have issues with mega churches with some even being franchises churches, That'll be Cross Church in NWA for those wanting to know.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 05:10:17 PM »
Well, he could pay off a great portion of that $6 million dollar debt by selling that mega boat he plays with.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 11:40:36 AM »
well I think a good definition of Church is "The body of Christ" in other words all of us Christians are really the Church. (That is written in the Bible). Now an organized Church, (basically the building we go to worship on Sundays). Well that is a hospital for sinners.  (OK-thats is the whole idea of it anyways). More and more it is turning in to a "non-political" organization that practices religious politics. (As far as money and order is concerned).
       I have been visiting several local Churches lately just to see if they have different policies and such as my home Church has, and to get a feel. Being with the same place too long can (sometimes) tarnish outside reality.  Much to my surprise, most are the same in my area.

Like --- lets have the entire congregation "pack heat" !!  I know many Churchs have had someone open fire lately. But most major crimes happen from within (any crime anywhere). Lets just have a couple stand by the doors to welcome latecomers OR to cause a diversion in case of problems.

Now then that is what I basically meant by "Be Carefull" Churches in itself "SHOULD" be a good thing, and probably most are.  TV evangelists are "advertising agencies". Their job is to recruit. The do tell the WORD. They preach "Do Gods Will, And You Will Have Abundant Life"  And you will for sure. Just they dont tell you the abundant life you recieve is "Spiritual Life" !  Which you benefit here physically, but Jesus resores your Spirit, and gives you a DEEP PEACE which allows you to live abundantly because you have the peace of knowing He is with you.  They do a fine job, they just leave out "the rest of the story".

As far as Joyce Meyer. I watch her too. I really do like her ministry, and she gives personal experiences. Hoever I live by her. She is not exactly the same in town as she is on TV.  Evedently, neither is Jim Bakker (according to a couple posts here)

Thats what I mean by "be careful what you listen too"
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »
Some of  you have said here that you stay away from church, but I hope you will shop around until you find a group of good folks who are attempting to live their life the best way they can and are humble and do things the way the Good Book says so. You can get a lot from church, if you find the right one for you. I remember from Arkansas history a fellow named Sam who lived in the wilderness of the Ozarks many decades ago. He would climb to the pinnacle of a high mountain and preach and preach and preach. His neighbors thought he was a little bit crazy, but they named a state park after him where his mountain church is...Sam's Throne. Pretty place to visit if you have a chance.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 01:30:44 PM »
Find the one that follows the pattern set for in the New Testament, and not one started by manmade policies.  That makes the arguing and nonsense go away.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating