Author Topic: Marvel Cave history book?  (Read 4170 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Marvel Cave history book?
« on: December 07, 2013, 10:33:35 AM »
I was looking through a copy of the White River Valley Historical Quarterly that I picked up last year at the Branson Centennial Museum, and discovered that apparently there is a book out covering Marvel Cave history that I have previously been unaware about. It is called "5o Years of Marvel Cave," and the authors are listed as "The Herschends." It is listed for sale in the gift shop section of the magazine for $25. Is anyone familiar with this book, and can you tell me how well written and illustrated is it? This sounds like something that would have came out in 2010 as part of the 50th anniversary of SDC stuff. Does anyone have this book? How do you like it?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Marvel Cave history book?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »
I think I have the book, but the odds of finding it in a timely fashion are quite slim.  It would one of many books in my library that I have not read.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »
I have a Marvel Cave book, but the author is Ronald Martin. I'm pretty sure you're aware of this one, think you've mentioned it before. I don't know about one authored by "The Herschends". I was there several times during 2010 and looking through the gift shop fairly often, but don't remember seeing it. That does not mean it wasn't there though.  ;D
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:11:25 PM »
Yeah, I've got the Ronald Martin version, also one written pre-SDC by Pat Luce who worked with the Lynch Sisters and was inherited by the Herschends. Later Pat worked in the Branson schools. Ron Martin is at College of the Ozarks now.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »
I've never seen it around the park, and hubs an I usually look at the books for sale.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 06:25:14 PM »
As far as I know, never saw it offered at the park either. Hope you have time to look for it, History Buff, I'd be interested to know more about that book.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 08:19:24 PM »
Time?  What's that?  You're funny, Junior.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

MoOzark

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I raised the Dizzy Dogs from little pups.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »
In 2010, SDC was selling a book entitled "50 Years of Making Memories, Photos that capture our times together." Info on the copyright page says, "Copyright (c) 2010 by Springfield News-Leader, Library of Congress Control Number: 2010906853, ISBN: 978-0-9826428-8-1, Written by: Jan Peterson, Layout by: JE Cornwell & Carolyn Cambronne, Published by: JEC Publishing Co., Printed in Canada."

In 2013, SDC still had copies for sale at numerous locations, including the Hospitality House and the General Store. So, they still have copies from 2010 or it has been reprinted.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 05:18:29 PM »
Yeah, that's the book released in the 50th anniversary year. Check out the group tintype of the diving bell crew from 1983, that's my contribution. The other diving bell photo is a well viewed publicity photo from 1977.