Author Topic: Winter Storm, December, 2013  (Read 13202 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Winter Storm, December, 2013
« on: December 06, 2013, 09:14:10 AM »
OK...everybody report in...how is the weather in your neck of the woods?   

6 inches of snow covering a thin sheet of ice. The 15 minute trip home yesterday from work took twice that time. Fish tailed up the hill, and was afraid of not getting home. When I made it home, I knew I was going to be here for a few days. More stuff headed my way today and tonight. Pea Ridge, Arkansas is looking like a winter wonderland!  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Storm, December, 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 09:35:53 AM »
OK. my report.. 30 miles south of Topeka Kansas.....

No ice, No snow -2 wind chill, expecting colder temps tonite....

You all be safe down there....

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 10:10:45 AM »
Here in Little Rock we have freezing rain & sleet. Woke up this morning around 7 and thought, hmmm, didn't do much. But how that changed in a matter of 2 hours! By 9:30 it has covered the driveways, rooftops, and streets.
My wife and  I are both State Employees, so the Gov. canceled work for us today...thank goodness.
We had eggs, turkey bacon, and coffee for Breakfast this morning. It was very nice to sleep in and have breakfast together.
As of 10am we still have electricity, hopefully that will last.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 10:33:21 AM »
40 miles west of Tulsa I have a thin sheet of ice thanks to the sleet yesterday and now it is covered with about 4" of snow from last night.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:31:40 AM »
Here in north central AR we got about 1/2 - 1 inch of ice yesterday. The ice is now covered by several inches of snow. I haven't been out to measure it. Since I broke my ankle in January of this year by walking on snow covered ice in my backyard, I'm not going to risk a repeat.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 01:17:19 PM »
Good solid ice/sleet base of an inch and then about at least 6 inches on snow on top of it.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 02:23:42 PM »
Seven miles east of Springfield, IL - no snow, no ice, but a cold 18.  We were outside the snow/ice corridor this time.  Friends 1 1/2 hrs. south of us got 14 inches. NO ice wanted, but snow?  Oh, yeah!!

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 03:46:08 PM »
Here in Mt. Vernon, Illinois (about 70 miles east of St. Louis) we have about a foot of snow on the ground and expecting another inch or so this afternoon before it finally quits.  This all started yesterday morning around ten and hasn't quit since.  Started out as sleet and freezing rain before changing to all snow.  It snowed a lot last night.  Going to start getting colder now with another chance of snow, sleet and freezing rain overnight Saturday into Sunday afternoon.  Can't believe this time last week I was in Branson enjoying some wonderful weather for T'giving.  My how things can change so quickly...it was almost 70 here Wednesday afternoon.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 07:00:06 PM »
Total snowfall in Pea Ridge, AR is now one foot! Guess we will be staying in this weekend. Have a good, safe weekend now, if you are in the path of the winter storms, too!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 12:44:36 AM »
OK here about 40 miles southwest of St Louis, Mo. we was just north of the real bad weather. We ended up with about 1/2" of ice under about 3" of snow. In which I had to drive home in it Friday AM. A usually 30 minute trip only took about 45 min. During early AM there is never much traffic and that was good yesterday.

My friend in Cuba, Mo. (about 45 minutes from me-about 1 hour SW of St Louis on I-44) recieved about 7" of snow.

My Brother in Farmington, Mo. (about 1 hour due south of St Louis on I-55) ended up with 13" of snow.

I sure do feel lucky this time.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 07:08:59 AM »
-11 wind chill here this morning....................

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 07:22:35 AM »
Here in Kansas City Mo, no snow just bitterly cold. Cars are in the garage & the coffee is good. Everyone be safe if ya have to drive. :)
Live life like it's the last day!

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »
Carthage, mo got about 3 inches.  Luckily the snow we were all supposed to get tonight and tomorrow has taken a track north and we'll all miss it.

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 10:47:36 AM »
Here in Northern WI. we have about2-2-1/2 feet of new snow on top of what we had....was -15  last night with 15-20 MPH winds, now still -11 and 10 MPH winds.....good day  for venison stew and biscuits.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 02:53:40 PM »
WOW Cheeseheads, I didnt know you live in Northern Wi. Whereabouts?  My wifes Grandparents lived in the U-P. I have travelled thru parts of northern Wi. a very many times. Actually along the Lake Michigan coast up in (and north of) Green Bay is beautiful country if memory serves well. (It has been 15 years since Ive been that way now).  We used to go up thru Milwaukee, Kenosha, Green Bay (or sometimes thru Osh Kosh).  Other times we travelled more thru the middle like Madison, Wausau, and finally Rhinelander.

They lived in Iron River Mi. Just barely in Mi.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream