Author Topic: I Didn't Know THAT About Silver Dollar City...  (Read 24430 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: I Didn't Know THAT About Silver Dollar City...
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 11:43:43 AM »
With early float trips being such an important part of the Branson area history, they should definitely do something to represent it.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 02:18:56 PM »
However, the float trip concept is already being portrayed with River Blast.  It would be nice to "reimagine" American Plunge and more completely theme it to early logging.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 09:45:38 AM »
It looks like the sign indicates that Shad's original cabin was "a few feet from this very spot".

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:47:26 AM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »
Thanks for clarifying the issue. That clears things up! :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 04:45:21 PM »
I'll be sure to look for that next time I'm at the City.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 09:35:30 AM »
Yep, for any citizen of the city the "Shad Cabin" was very well known as the place that he and Molly lived for a short time.  Junior is right about it turning into many different facilities.   Back when I worked there, it was the Security checkpoint for employees (with the parking lot being the actual Grand Exposition) and also a cash control drop off area for those employees leaving at the end of the day.

You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 05:03:17 AM »
A few more fun facts about SDC:

-The lower portion of Hill Street, from the Powderkeg/FITH area back up to where the rest rooms are under the woodcarving shop, are all a part of the old stagecoach pathways.

-Did  you know that the tower at the Lumbercamp entrance originally had a platform where musicians performed for people in the dining area and standing in line for the saloon?

-For much of the 1980 season, two Hollywood stunt men performed little skits around the city, jumping from the windmill on Main Street, jumping off the roof of the diving bell into a boat on Lake Silver, and going across from the saloon balcony to the lumbercamp on a cable slide. They were a bit too rowdy for Midwestern tastes, and after one of them had an unpleasant exchange with a guest, they were fired and no longer appeared on park.

-Did you know that the first few years the city was open, the entire guest parking lot was the Main Street area where the gazebo and seating are?

-Later, as the city grew and expanded, parking was moved to the area where Flooded Mine is, and guests walked into the city over the swinging bridge above Half Dollar Holler.

-About 1970, the growing city meant parking was moved again. The entire parking lot was the area where trams now turn around at, and a small portion of the handicapped parking area.

-In the old days when there was a lot of hype about attractions across the country, a business owner could make almost any claims about his tourist attraction...all done with a wink and grin in an effort to pull in more visitors. Marvel Cave was once known in this period as "America's Third Largest Cave."  The slogan was painted on the train that brought guests up to the Hospitality House. When someone in the know disputed this claim, the slogan stopped being used sometime in the late 1970's.

-There are many work and business offices hidden in plain sight of guests. There are offices in the Hospitality House, in the Mill/Mine Restaurant complex, and on the second floors of the ticket booth building and Ozark Marketplace. Also above the ice cream shop and behind Grandfather's Mansion and the General Store.

-You will see the Silver Dollar City "Mary's Well House," an employee health facility, located along Hwy. 76 between SDC and Shepherd of the Hills, just before coming to the Inspiration Tower if you are headed back to Branson. It will be on your right. That was founder Mary Hershend's actual home from the 1960's thru the early 1980's. She lived there until she was unable to care for herself any longer, and Jack and Pete placed her in a nursing home just across the street from the subdivision Jack lived in (Branson North) at the time. My understanding is members of her family came to visit her EVERY day.

-The mill at the American Plunge entrance was initially used as the ticket booth for guests to have their "passport" punched if they paid a premium price for a ticket to tour attractions or the rides. The location was initially part of Jim Owen's Float Trip Ride. Part of the queue for the ride was to cross a little foot bridge in front of the mill, enter and get your ticket punched, then climb a short staircase and continue out the back of the mill to a bridge that crossed the float trip channel, and then you waited in the boat dock area to get on the ride. The inside of the mill was decorated with some authentic float trip photos taken in the 20s-40s in the local area, and some made up, silly portraits of SDC float trip guides. There was also a float trip office in the upper portion of the mill. The outside façade of the mill was used as the mill for the Beverly Hillbillies episodes shot at the park. The interior mill shots were shot in the real Sullivan's Mill.

-Next time you are around the Tree house, look at the concrete tree that used to be the entrance to the attraction. The doorway is boarded up, that is where a winding staircase went up to the little swinging bridge you crossed to get in the tree house. Next to that is another boarded up area, which was a tiny little area the guy working the attraction sat so he could punch your "passport" premium ticket for attractions and rides.

-Next time you go into the Flooded Mine, you will see the little building at the entrance, which also was initially used as a ticket booth to punch "passport" premium tickets.

-The queue area of lost river is part of the old diving bell attraction. Tell tale signs of the diving bell are all around there. The only strongly visible thing to most guests is the "Dugan Salvage Yard" sign on the side of the building facing the Smoke House/Rib House Restaurant. That area served as the little playground next to the diving bell queue line area.

All around the park are examples of old things that have been discontinued at the park. As you visit in 2014, look around closely and you will see the old passport ticket booths at the older attractions, you will see doors and windows to work offices, you will see what remains of the old stagecoach paths, and you can tell when a building has been repurposed to another use. The signs are all around you if you know where to look.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 07:04:33 AM »
cool post Junior!!

i got a question for ya all -- when you are heading towards Wildfire, there is a overflow queue line are to your right, are the metal bars made from old railroad tracks? AND, is it old tracks from the train ride? i have noticed this for a while, & when i comment, alot of people freak out. :o
Live life like it's the last day!

Hollwood

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 07:07:56 AM »
Just a quick correction... The blue house that is being labeled as "Mary's Well House" is in fact Mary's home, but is not the Well House. It is however the location of Herschend University. Every employee working in OMC have to have a certain number of hours in HU before they can be "Signed Off" on the culture of the company. An interesting fact about the house is that it was the first house in Taney county to have indoor plumbing! Mary's Well House is located by Compton Ridge. But everything else seems to be right on the money Junior.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 07:09:19 AM by Hollywood »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 09:00:55 AM »
I have a slide or two from the early days with cars parked next to the blacksmith shop.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Thanks for the correction on the Mary Herschend House!   Rube, post those photos...I think you have in the past, but, we all love seeing them! :)

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 02:45:19 PM »
 a little known fact. Silver Dollar City was the second idea of what to put it above Marvel cave by Mary et all....the first was  the Marlin Perkins zoo, a tie in with mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. It only lasted one season, then it made way for Silver Dollar City.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
here is another very little known fact. There is only one person officialy interred at Silver Dollar City and that was the man who gave the park its name. Don Richardson was silver dollars cities PR director from its inception and tell his death in the 1980s. Hid ashes were scattered behind the wilderness church. No other person associated with Silver Dollar City was ever given this honor.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 06:07:21 PM »
Ricardson behind the church...never
knew that, quite an honor
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 07:49:12 PM »
here is another very little known fact. There is only one person officialy interred at Silver Dollar City and that was the man who gave the park its name. Don Richardson was silver dollars cities PR director from its inception and tell his death in the 1980s. Hid ashes were scattered behind the wilderness church. No other person associated with Silver Dollar City was ever given this honor.

How do you know these things?  Was that a personal request of Richardson?  You have very interesting info.