Author Topic: John Corbin <sic?> Christmas album  (Read 7835 times)

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • "Now boys, be good to the tourists!" - Mitch Jayne
    • View Profile
John Corbin <sic?> Christmas album
« on: November 18, 2013, 02:24:25 PM »
Years ago a friend in high school gave me a tape of a folk singer who performed at SDC named John Corbin <sic?>. This particular tape was of Christmas music from the Middle Ages/Elizabethan period, and I believe was titled "Drive the Cold Winter Away". I also had another one of his tapes, "Whisky Before Breakfast", which had a great rendition of the song "Scotland the Brave" on it.

Is anyone familiar with these albums, and is Corbin still performing? I'd love to have a CD of them, especially the Christmas one. Even though we're not to Advent yet, I'd still love to hear those songs.  ;)

Regards,

Todd

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: John Corbin <sic?> Christmas album
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 04:01:11 PM »
Jon Corbin Goldsberry worked at SDC from the mid-70's until about 1992-94. He was a solo act for years, but when he married his wife Jan, they became a duo. "Jan and Jon" performed for many years from the late 80's until they left when the park was purging the traditional music for the stuff they have today (somewhere between '92-'94.) I worked with Jon when he did the puppet show in the Vineyard ('79) and later when I was at the diving bell he regularly came by to visit and chat with the Dugan clan before or after performances on park. I've got his first two albums, (at 33 and 1/3) called "Fragments" and "Regina." Jon was a very strong member of sdcfans.com in the early days, and was known as "OLD GUY" you will see his posts scattered throughout the old threads. Some of Jan and Jon's music is still available on CD at the music shop located inside the Ozark Marketplace at SDC. His posts on SDCfans.com about the early years at the park and the behind the scenes stuff is pretty fantastic reading. Go all the way back to '07 and '08 posts.    Last I heard, about three years ago or so, Jon was working at the dulcimer shop located next to the Presley's theater parking lot. (On the same side as Presley's) Don't know if he is still there or not. He and his wife are very talented, and do a great job with traditional music, his wife is also an artist, and has sold her works at SDC. Maybe if you go into that dulcimer shop, they would have some of their CDs in there. 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 06:39:21 PM »
Thanks for the info, Junior!  I don't remember him, but I will definitely look for the music next time I'm there.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=382.15

Here is an 08 post I found interesting! 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »
Jan and Jon were very, very, disappointed in the early 90's when the direction of park management changed. Jon's mom was Jack Herschend's secretary, and his dad was the famous "Captain Goldsberry" the head scrimshaw artist. You've seen his postcard, and that's Jon's dad in the photos of the craftsmen that I posted a few days ago. I hope that some day they will go back to SDC and perform their traditional music on guitar and hammer dulcimer. They have been successful on the festival circuit, too. Jon was always a good guy to work with. I worked with him on and off from the time I was 16 until when I left the park at about age 21.  I will always have fond memories of him, a guy with a good sense of humor, and with some talent as a songwriter, musician, and performer.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • "Now boys, be good to the tourists!" - Mitch Jayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 08:35:44 AM »
Jan and Jon were very, very, disappointed in the early 90's when the direction of park management changed. Jon's mom was Jack Herschend's secretary, and his dad was the famous "Captain Goldsberry" the head scrimshaw artist. You've seen his postcard, and that's Jon's dad in the photos of the craftsmen that I posted a few days ago. I hope that some day they will go back to SDC and perform their traditional music on guitar and hammer dulcimer. They have been successful on the festival circuit, too. Jon was always a good guy to work with. I worked with him on and off from the time I was 16 until when I left the park at about age 21.  I will always have fond memories of him, a guy with a good sense of humor, and with some talent as a songwriter, musician, and performer.

Your post reminded me Junior that Jon was good friends with a friend of mine who used to work at the Gunsmith's shop named Garland Green. I wonder if anyone remembers him? Garland later moved to Springfield and opened up a military surplus & reenactor's supply store called "The Post Exchange". It used to be in an old Flea Market (now trendy lofts) in Boonville Street, and then he later moved to a place on Kearney.

T.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 05:52:05 PM »
John Corbin occasionally works at the Dulcimer Shop in the Ozark Market Place at Silver Dollar City.

OutlawRun

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »
I have many fond memories of listening to John play, and then later John and Jan.  I truly wish they would play at the park - perhaps at least during a festival.

Their website can be found at...

http://witheandstone.com/index.htm

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 04:19:13 PM by OutlawRun »
You have a great past ahead of you!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 03:39:10 PM »
Thanks for posting the Website. These two are a talented couple.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »
I have many fond memories of listening to John play, and then later John and Jan.  I truly wish they would play at the park - perhaps at least during a festival.

Their website can be found at...

http://witheandstone.com/index.htm

Yes!  During the Fall festival!  Bring it back like it used to be!!