Author Topic: Photo Trip Report: Nickelodeon Universe at Mall of America  (Read 4378 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Photo Trip Report: Nickelodeon Universe at Mall of America
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:53:47 PM »

Nickelodeon Universe at MOA - June 21

Derrijk and I decided to take a trip up I-35 to check out the parks in the Twin Cities.  After spending most of the day at Valleyfair, we went over to Mall of America to check out the NEW park in the middle of the mall - Nickelodeon Universe.  To say that Sponge Bob is an awesome coaster is an understatement... on to the PTR!

Nickelodeon Universe Trip Report

SWOOSH

DocSpeleo

Re: Photo Trip Report: Nickelodeon Universe at Mall of America
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 12:39:17 AM »
is the cereal place still there? i loved that place when i went... lol still have my box of wheaties with my picture on it

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 01:11:15 AM »
Nope that is long gone.
It is rather interesting the history of the area of where Cereal World was located.
Originally it was a mini-golf area, then the Cereal World came and stayed for 3 years at most.  Next the area became a dinosaur museum sort of thing... and now, the are is back to being a mini-golf area again (though much better themed this time).

SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 09:00:21 AM »
Great trip report, Swoosh!  That Sponge Bob coaster looks like a lot of fun.  All the corporate sponsorship is incredible.  I wonder how long it will be before SDC cashes in like that (ride sponsors, etc.)?  I hope never, but part of me feels it's only a matter of time.  It would just be extending the corporate sponsorship of Kids Fest to the rest of the park.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:16:12 AM »
Corporate sponsorship would be nothing new at SDC. Welches Grape juice sponsored the Vinyard restrant in the 70's,Coppertone got a full page add in trade for pathfinders one year, Kodak had Picture Spots all over, Ott's, John Morell, and Coke on every glass are other foods examples that have been sponsers over the years. I don't thinkride sponsorship would be as dramatic a differance. They wouldn't close the Fooded Mne, like Horizons folded after G.E. left Epcot. Hmmm....What companys theme song could you play along with "You'll sweat a little water"......"If you don't drink Bud"?
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 12:44:50 PM »
Thanks for the trip report Swoosh. It was interesting because I was at the Mall of America a couple years ago and I saw all those rides--with just different names. The log flume was like Paul Bunyan's Ride or something like that? What did they change that name to?

I wonder if they are doing better since they switched over to a Nickelodeon theme? Whenever I was there (could've been a slow day or whatever) but there weren't that many people there. There were still lines and all that stuff but it wasn't unbearable or even close to.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 03:48:16 PM »
The Paul Bunyan Log Flume is now just LOG FLUME.  It is supposed to get a new theme to the show "Back at the Barnyard" very soon, but not sure when.

The park seems to be doing farily well.... of course it always has.  During the Holiday Season at MOA, the park is packed with people.

Speaking of the name changes... it is taking a little while for me to get used to the new names as well.
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 03:50:32 PM »
^Hmm, the old Paul Bunyan log flume ride was actually decent. Do they still have all the old Paul Bunyan theming in there?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 03:58:56 PM »
Yes they do... for now at least.  I imagine it will make it through the rest of the year and then after the Holiday Season they will begin on Phase #2 of the park.
SWOOSH