Author Topic: Pictures from the Past!  (Read 60647 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures from the Past!
« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2018, 05:24:40 PM »
Where in the park was this located?

pintrader

« Reply #136 on: December 09, 2018, 06:51:56 PM »
Where in the park was this located?

I believe part of that building is still being used today.  It is pretty much right across the street from the tintype shop, and possibly the very same building in this photo here.   Somebody else may verify this or set me straight.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1974/46251651781_0201e7aedc_b.jpg

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2018, 09:22:17 AM »
So who's gonna start a "where in the city" with "pictures from the past". That would be pretty awesome, and I might actually get more than 1 point

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2018, 06:21:36 PM »
Here is a slide/picture from I would say mid 1960's.   I believe it was taken where the corkscrew pass is today.....just to the left as you are going down.   Miss Kate's quilt shop is located there today.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1905/44643343215_0d844fa636_o.jpg

This is actually next to the railroad crossing, across the road from the current Kettle Corn.  Today it is just a room for sweepstakes entries and an Ancestry.com kiosk (last I saw).
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

pintrader

« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2018, 07:31:44 PM »
Here is a slide/picture from I would say mid 1960's.   I believe it was taken where the corkscrew pass is today.....just to the left as you are going down.   Miss Kate's quilt shop is located there today.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1905/44643343215_0d844fa636_o.jpg

This is actually next to the railroad crossing, across the road from the current Kettle Corn.  Today it is just a room for sweepstakes entries and an Ancestry.com kiosk (last I saw).

I do remember the broom shop being at that location, but that would have been much later than the mid 1960's picture.  At that time there was not even a walkway in the Kettle Corn area.   If I remember correctly the first walkway would have been about the same time the Deep Woods area was built.   Here is a picture of a map from 1971 of SDC.   If you look the train locomotive is parked between the Marmaros Inn and the broom shop.  The Marmaros Inn is the same building as Bears At The Holler is today.   This was pretty much the map I was using to decide where the Broom Shop was.   I still could be wrong because the picture was even earlier than the map.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4806/31327687107_170b0ff270_o.jpg

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2018, 08:22:30 PM »
It sure enough looks like that location to me.  The fence to the right even fits the railroad crossing location.  Are you certain of the date?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

pintrader

« Reply #141 on: December 10, 2018, 08:42:53 PM »
I am not certain of the exact date, but all of my black & white photos point to a time period in the 60's.   The earliest a walkway through where the Kettle Corn is today would be about 1977.   I am pretty sure that is when the Deep Woods opened, which would be the same year the Diving Bell opened in that area.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2018, 08:28:51 AM »
Thats a great pic of the old map..

Never fails to surprise me looking at an old map, seeing all the vacant space, in and around the tracks, Lake silver and so on...

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2018, 08:40:00 AM »
I believe Pintrader is correct on the location; even the little drawing of the building on the map looks the same.

I also noticed that "Fireman's Cemetery" is drawn out and listed on the old map. Now its completed hidden in the shadows and blocked off the majority of the time.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 11, 2018, 08:50:07 AM »
I believe Pintrader is correct on the location; even the little drawing of the building on the map looks the same.

I also noticed that "Fireman's Cemetery" is drawn out and listed on the old map. Now its completed hidden in the shadows and blocked off the majority of the time.

Im not even sure if it still on the map..

After looking at the old map again,  I wonder how many times the Steam engine Shingle machine has been moved and relocated through the years.. ::)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2018, 12:31:10 PM »
It sure enough looks like that location to me.  The fence to the right even fits the railroad crossing location.  Are you certain of the date?

I don't think so.  I think Pintrader may have it right.  The angle of the porch and corner of the building is off, and the fence isn't right.  That would allow people to sneak into the corner right up next to the tracks, though it's possible I guess since there is a little "booth" for the guard/ prisoner to hide in a bit in the case of not so nice weather.

But if it was that location, there should be at least a glimpse of the tracks behind it, and I don't see that.  It does look more like the building up near the corkscrew hill and it's entrance.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2018, 09:19:19 PM »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 13, 2018, 07:43:32 AM »
Here is a picture of a map from 1971 of SDC.

Bring back the shot tower!  ;D

So many Classics!  Come and gone :(

Hindsight says, they should have seat aside about 10 acres for a SDC musuem.!!  Can you imagine?

pintrader

« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »
Here is a picture of a map from 1971 of SDC.

Bring back the shot tower!  ;D

Next to the Shot Tower is the Outdoor Market, which would be the Taffy Shop today.   Can anyone on here describe this in any way?  I myself do not remember it, and just wondered if they sold fresh produce or what.  Any thoughts on this?

pintrader

« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2020, 05:43:03 PM »
This photo is from 2014 of the entrance to the old Splash Harbor which was on the other side of Geyser Gulch.  It's not very old but I always found it amusing.   I hope it is self explanatory because I would hate to try to explain it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 05:46:11 PM by Pintrader »