Author Topic: Pictures from the Past!  (Read 60697 times)

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures from the Past!
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2018, 09:28:38 AM »
I have loved looking at all these pictures Pintrader! I only know sdc from 1987 on, so anything from before that time has always intrigued me.

In my mind I can remember Huck Finn's Hideaway from the late 80's-early 90's, but wish I could see some pictures of it on the inside from that time and before. I remember the window's you could 'shoot' the guns at the long johns hanging in the trees along with the green-screen that captured your shadow when the light flashed. I wish I could remember some of the other gags, I'm sure there were more. I remember climbing the 'tree' staircase with my dad and crossing the little swinging bridge. Later they added netting so you had to cross it on your knees, at that point my dad said "Nope." The only way down during my childhood was the back staircase. But apparently at some point there was also a bridge that took you to a little door located in the Toy Shop (now woodcarvers), the door is still there if you know where to look.

You have a great past just ahead of you.

pintrader

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2018, 10:02:20 AM »
Glad you have enjoyed looking at them DollarCityBoy!  As we get older our memories fade a little and we just can't remember the things we could before.   I remember trips to SDC in the 1960's and 70's when my mother would ask "why are you not taking your camera".   I remember thinking at the time I was not going to lug a camera around all day and waste my time.......it would just slow me down.  Boy do I wish I had listened to her!  There are a lot of pictures that were took in that time period, but finding them is another story.  Most have just been discarded I would say.  I don't believe I have ever seen a movie or pictures taken inside the old treehouse.....very rare.   

pintrader

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »
Here is a slide/picture also from 1968 of an old tram picking up people to take to the main gate.   Probably didn't have to stay behind the white line in those days.......just load up.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1945/45486707622_6858b3f738_o.jpg
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:22:20 AM by Pintrader »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2018, 11:08:51 AM »
^^^^^   NICE!! ;D

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2018, 11:09:21 AM »
These are great Pintrader, thanks for sharing!

pintrader

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2018, 11:57:56 AM »
Your very welcome!

pintrader

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2018, 10:59:33 AM »
Here is a slide/picture of the train depot/flooded mine from 1968 and one from the present. 

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2018, 03:54:15 PM »
The FM sure had a lot more theming on the outside with that water chute coming down the front.  Wish it was still like that. 

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2018, 04:27:46 AM »
100% agree!
Every year we make sure we ride the flooded mine because we are worried it won't be there the following year...

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2018, 10:08:01 AM »
We were at the park this past Saturday and rode the FM. There was no music playing at all during the entire ride...which made for an almost eerie experience. The saw blade affect was also not working.

As some have said before, the new Time Traveler food court set-up really hides the FM. I can see how it would be extremely easy for a 1st time guest to completely miss it.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

pintrader

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2018, 02:15:24 PM »
Here is a slide/picture from 1968 of the water wheel used for grinding at what was called the Stone-Burr Mill, and is now called Sullivan's Mill.  Also, a picture of what it looks like today.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2018, 05:09:50 PM »
Water wheel area is one of my favorites, I could watch water flow, and work for hours.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2018, 07:36:39 AM »
Water wheel area is one of my favorites, I could watch water flow, and work for hours.
After looking at these pictures I am tempted to go throw a bunch of seeds off that bridge.  The green looks beautiful. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2018, 08:59:32 AM »
After looking at these pictures I am tempted to go throw a bunch of seeds off that bridge.  The green looks beautiful.

Oh!  Thats a great idea...  An assortment of wild flowers maybe? 

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2018, 03:12:21 PM »
Oh!  Thats a great idea...  An assortment of wild flowers maybe?
I couldn't care if it were weeds and Virginia creeper, seems like when wildfire was added it was decided stripped hillsides were acceptable.  Our latest example being TT valley that is an abomination to the natural beauty of the Ozarks.  I miss the green lushness of the old mill wheel pic, its a place I desire to explore, unlike the bald ground.   I hope they do something with that valley and lay off the weed eating.  I will tell you if we threw a few packs of Morning glorys off that bridge the valley would be in bloom for years to come.  Once morning glorys take hold you can't get them gone!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:15:08 PM by mhguy77 »