Author Topic: Pictures from the Past!  (Read 60638 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Pictures from the Past!
« on: November 16, 2013, 06:46:20 AM »
Let's take another trip back in time! Over the winter months, I sometimes post photos of "the Silver Dollar City we all remember from our youth." I wanted to start the 2013-14 winter season with photos of craftsmen and women from the 1960's-1980's.
-
"You have a Great Past Ahead of You!"
-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures from the Past!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 07:45:32 AM »
Wow!!!  Excellent pictures!  Thanks Junior!
I'm Your Huckleberry

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:58:33 AM »
Junior, You need to put together a book!  There are enough people who remember the old days and wish for its return.  Great photos! Until you look at photos like these, you don't realize how much the park has actually changed.  I really miss all the crafters, but I think mostly I miss the old signage.  It had such character.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 02:03:46 PM »
Duelist and Gilligan, thanks for the nice comments. Think of how many of those crafts no longer are exhibited or sold at the park. Many things have changed over the years. In the weeks and months to come, I'll post old photos of some of the "lost" rides, shows, and attractions at the park. That will really jog some folks and take them down memory lane. I encourage anyone with a bunch of old photos to post them here, I love looking at stuff, especially things I have not seen before, or in a long time. POST AWAY! :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »
I haven't forgotten a relatively recent survey that included options for some major craft-type additions.  Think they decided to go a different direction, or might those still be in the works?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 10:22:26 AM »
Now THAT is the SDC I remember!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 06:40:33 PM »
Now THAT is the SDC I remember!

Me too!  It's also the one I miss terribly and want back!  :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 09:05:05 PM »
I personally knew and/or worked with at least 11 of the people pictured. They were some wonderful people. I'm glad many of you remember them, too. I'll have some more of these old photos of other things on park in the weeks to come. Be looking for them! :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 09:59:22 PM »
I was cruising the Internet, and took another look at the Rube Dugan's Diving Bell Facebook page. Discovered some additional photos that I posted on my Flickr site. Two are well known 1977 publicity shots for the diving bell taken by a SDC photographer. The third is a unique photo I'd never seen before from the collection of noted Branson entertainer Bob Nichols, who is a former "Junior." It is a picture of Bob, Darin Hustead, Bill "Moose" Hensley, and James A. Peterson circa 1979-1980 standing on top of the lake submersible that used to emerge from the "cave" adjacent to the wharf at the diving bell. If you visit Lost River you can see the cave, partially submerged by the water in the lake. Hope you enjoy.                 http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan   

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 04:55:48 PM »
Coming soon...more pictures from the past at SDC! (I've deleted the arts and crafts photos, but left the diving bell, float trip, and Hee Haw Theater photos.) I'm looking through the material I have on file now, and within a few days, I'll post some photos of rides, attractions, and shows. Be looking for them!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 05:17:43 PM »
As promised: Old rides, shows, and attractions, 1970-mid 1980's at SDC. Hope you like what you see!   http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan  
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:18:42 PM by Junior »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 08:14:40 PM »
We still have about a month before the first rope drop of 2014. Thought I'd post a few scans of some old brochures showing how festivals changed over the years from 1978-1987. There was a spring crafts show, a mountain folks music festival, fall crafts show, later on an Ozark Folk Life Festival, headline entertainment like Kitty Wells, Ricky Skaggs, and the Whites, a clogging competition, and later on a Olde Country Folk Festival which later developed into Worldfest, a quilt show and sale, and a square dance weekend. All of those festivals have come and gone, with the exception of the fall crafts show. Times change. It is funny also how some years the park really pushed the festivals, and other years, the festivals only got a brief and tiny mention in the brochures. Anyway, hope you find what you see interesting...    http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 08:25:13 PM »
A few years ago (not that many) SDC entered quilts in the national quilt show, AQS - a juried show in Paducah, KY.  Quilts from around the world are entered in this show, and I haven't missed a show in 15 yrs.  I always got excited waiting to see what SDC was showing.  I'm not sure why there are no longer entering. 

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 09:44:41 AM »
When did OTC start? I would have thought before '87.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 11:43:19 AM »
I think OTC started in '88 or '89. I went to a couple of early OTC's when not many lights, or even shops or attractions were open. The OTC we know now is so much better, and the lights are great.