Poll

What is the biggest deterent to eating at an SDC eatery?

Price
13 (59.1%)
Portion Size
5 (22.7%)
Service
0 (0%)
I bring lunch with me
2 (9.1%)
Spent all my $$ getting into the park
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: October 26, 2013, 10:40:29 AM

Author Topic: SDC Food Poll Question  (Read 10414 times)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
SDC Food Poll Question
« on: October 16, 2013, 10:40:29 AM »
I know there are many of us that don't eat very often in the city anymore. So my question is why not?

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SDC Food Poll Question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 11:07:29 AM »
There's not an option for me. I look forward to eating at SDC. I don't think it's any more expensive than Cracker Barrel or similar restaurants. Plus, the food, for the most part is great. You can get food there that you can't get anywhere else.

Hollwood

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »
There needs to be a "Nothing" option...

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 12:26:40 PM »
I have 2 votes for nothing. Anybody else?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 01:21:43 PM »
I eat at the city, you just have to be careful where to eat, because some of the portions are small...  but as a rule you get your moneys worth...

My vote.. nothing.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 01:31:10 PM »
Considering my audience, "Nothing" will probably be everyone's answer. So let me slightly modify that question... If you decided not to eat in the city, which of those factors would most likely be the reason.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 03:56:17 PM »
Always eat there at least once a day.  Even after you adjusted the question, I still couldn't answer.  I'll click on portion size!
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 04:11:09 PM »
"Portions"...   value for the dollar ;D ;D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 04:47:30 PM »
Breakfast at the mill worth it.
Caught a mid afternoon lunch at Wagon works, not worth it.
Had potato on a stick, too greasy for me, not worth it.
Had the home style potato chips, greasy to me, not worth it.
Wassell at Christmas, worth it.
Dippin dots, grandkids loved it, I hated seeing it sold on park and didn't get any. If I want dippin dots, I can go to a mall.
Succotash at the ridge, good, and worth it both times.
BBQ lunch at ribhouse, good, and worth it.
Supper at the mine, good, and worth it.
Any refill in a SDC mug, good value, and worth it.
Any ice cream at Hannah's worth it.

Sadly I have not had a chance to try to the pizza joint, springhouse, or lumbercamp in recent years, but am highly interested in giving it a shot. I'm sure the mill for dinner or lunch is probably still a good choice. Still sad about Jack's Sandwich closing but if quality had gone down over the years, maybe they should have revamped the menu and way food was prepared. The Big Jack Sandwich in the early 1980's was FAB!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »
I like Junior's review, so here we go:
Potato on a stick - yummy both times I've had it
Hannah's Ice Cream - wonderful, but I'm lactose intolerant now so that's out
Ribhouse - YUM! YUM! YUM!
Lumber Camp and Buckshot Annies - Skillet bowls - I love all of them!
Wassail - made from a dry mix and yucky!
Hot chocolate - used to be good,but last few times it's been very watery
Wagon Works - hit and miss!  Turkey leg is good but have to share - very high in sodium
Taffy Shop - bring it on!
Mollie's and the Mine Restaurant - good value for money, but average food
Apple Dumpling - great every time but alas, no more for me - gluten/lactose  :'(
Funnel Cakes - pricing is way out of line
Sullivan's - worth it - price and quality
Delilah's - hit and miss; sometimes fresh and sometimes not!

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 10:06:51 PM »
Nothing for us. We tend to try to find local owned places that serve great food and avoid the theme park food and chain restaurants.

As for the reason I would say quality of the food. Most of the SDC food I have had is just ok. Used to love the skillets, but the quality of those has declined also. I also cannot stand a buffet of any kind. Not being mean , but I just cannot eat food other people have picked over , sneezed on and who knows what else.

How about a nice upscale restaurant in the city that serves food in a more elegant atmosphere. It has worked well for Disney. Maybe have it adjacent to the park so admission is not required , but you could also enter from the park.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 03:54:22 AM »
Well with wife being diabetic, Delilahs is OUT!  but has always been good
Mine breakfast food is good. Generally better than on the strip, pricier, but better so we usually do that (Unless we get too full with Paiges oatmeal and waffles)
Ribhouse is mediocre-we generally dont care much for smoked meats, as it usually gives us both miserable heartburn.
Lumbercamp is terrible, simply terrible never had a good burger there.
Skillet by ribhouse used to be my dream place (especially in spring). Good ol taters, and corn on cob along with 1/2 chicken MMMMMM. But now they mixed sausage in with the taters "just ruined them". of course no corn this time of year. And chicken is real dry now.
Mine for supper is the stuff now. (when we eat supper in the city)

The older my wife gets, the less she likes meat, so basically a buffet is the best for us, I get my meat, she gets her veggies-we are happy

As far as Branson food in general, Well, Golden Corral is just nasty these days, Grand country Buffet is worse. We both like Montana Mike. We both like The Plantation. We both like Grand Country PIZZA buffet

Truthfully, here lately, we eat breakfast at Paiges place, Dinner just wherever we happen to be, and grab some frozen something, take back to Homestay and microblast it. Restaurants are just way to pricey for us these days.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:56:28 AM by qwed94 »
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 05:34:19 AM »
I like that the idea for an upscale restaurant at SDC is still floating around out there. I say call the place Herschend's, and locate it on the second floor of the mill. Nice steaks, chicken, and trimmings, and linen on the table and linen napkins, very friendly service, and quiet, peaceful atmosphere.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

misskim

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 05:55:44 AM »
I didn't vote because my answer is a combination of things. We have season passes so we rarely stay past 1 pm. It makes sense for us to then eat a big breakfast and then eat lunch after we leave the park. My son is a vegetarian and SDC has very little that is vegetarian and they are unwilling to alter things (i.e. leave meat out of something) so that you can get them vegetarian. I was actually told that the workers were told they could not "do that this year." Our only choices were spaghetti or cheese pizza (according to SDC) and franky if I want those, there are other places that do those dishes better than SDC. Price also comes into it. You're right, the price of a meal at SDC is about the price of a meal I'd get at Cracker Barrel (or Applebee's or IHOP). I'd rather go to those places and get a big meal than pay the same amount for a small chicken sandwich and a measley portion of calico potatoes. So no, we don't eat at SDC. Just too much work for us.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 08:00:29 AM »
I think we all pretty well agree it is the "price versus portion"

If the portions were bigger, and more filling the price would not be as bad..pretty simple economics actually..