Author Topic: Will you be buying a 2014 Seasons Pass?  (Read 16319 times)

sdcDave

• View Profile
Re: Will you be buying a 2014 Seasons Pass?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2013, 09:09:20 AM »
I think this year we are planning to get season tickets.  There's five in our family, plus one for my MIL.  We haven't been since 2011 (season tickets then too), so thanks to all of you for the reviews/updates on the park in the meantime.  Makes me feel still connected.

So when do the 2014 ones go on sale?

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2013, 09:42:45 AM »
Season Passes usually go on sale during Old Time Christmas.  Listening to a lot of folks on this subject makes me realize again how blessed we are to have our jobs.  Besides this temporary furlough/shutdown (and I and my coworkers did work this past week thanks to a program that keeps us employeed until next Wednesday the 16th then after that if the shutdown is still in effect we will probably go back to full or partial furlough) our jobs are pretty secure.  My wife and I have both worked for the state of Arkansas for over 20 years.  We're not getting rich by any means but we can pay the bills and put some back.  The SDC Season Passes are one of the best deals we get all year  (compared to what it would cost for us to pay the daily fee to get in).  We're only about 4 hours away so it doesn't take a lot of a gas to get there and back.  We pray for those of you who have more dire situations than ourselves hoping things will get better.
I'm Your Huckleberry

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2013, 01:38:48 PM »
Duelist-Im glad you got to put in a few hours recently. Im still praying that you (and all the other furloughed people) can go back to full time real soon.
--I have been working many many hours lately, which is nice compared to my lay off this spring.
>>>>Chitlins, you didnt need to explain. I was basically just commenting on a previous post, AND just trying to have a little fun with ya.  I do understand though, I have a mechanic Dad and a mechanic Son. Son and I did all the work on my Jeep in his garage, I did all of it while I was laid off, only cost about $300 in parts. Just for kicks though I had him roughly figure the repair in shop time.  Well shop rates are $110 hour, We spent close to 25 hours in total so You can do the math there.  --- In other words. YES you certainly save money doing repairs yourself (when you can).  However Im sorry if I offended you at all, I certainly wasnt trying to do that. I think it is wonderful that you can do things with the family.

I dont get the chance to do much anymore. My wife no longer works, so its just me bringin home the bacon now. She babysits, but its like pulling teeth to get money for that these days. We dont ever get a whole week off anymore. No way you could get 5 sets of parents to take the same week off, especially since 3 of them work in the same place (only 4 workers there anyway, no way 3 could leave the same week).  I get 3 weeks, but generally in the spring I use up 2 weeks because we get slow at work in spring. The other week I take (usually) on various Mondays. We go to Branson on those weekends since wife usually dont babysit on Mondays. (And wouldnt you know it), Im off on Fridays, the day she usually has all 7 kids.

Anyway we still plan on getting 2014 passes. It is really the only "get away" we get.  BTW: That is also why we like our little camper. We have a fav. campground that is only 1 hour away from home. Makes a real nice Saturday getaway.  Branson is 3 hours away, sometimes that is just too far, sometimes it is perfect
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »
This year was one of the leanest in some time, but we still bought the passes.  We cut corners in other places so we can take the four kids while they are little. We are very aware that it only comes around once.  I have two that are just now ready for the kiddy rides at the 'Exposition", and two that are just now ready for the roller coasters.  They have such a blast at the City that we find a way every year to get the passes. 

We don't take big vacations and live pretty close to SDC so it makes for a great summer treat for the kids to go to the park four to five times a year.   In fact next year we will need to get five passes instead of four so I better start saving now!  ;D

On a side note I hope the bring a friend passes stay attached to the season passes.  We took a family of eight last year and a different family of six this year.  This year the family of six needed to purchase two single day tickets and also bought food and drinks in the park.  All that to say is those BAF passes only help SDC's bottom line while helping us enjoy a day with people we wouldn't normally get to go with.  Also, taking a family that hasn't been to the park in years made me realize just how much there is to do for everyone.  It was really hard squeezing in everything in one full day, and we don't even go to the shows.  We had the best time in years seeing it through their eyes.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 04:22:08 PM »
After today, I might be dropping some 'other' season tickets.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
OH no--Chitlins, I hope it is not because of any of my comments.  Then again, you being angry with me might be better than if a sudden disaster just happened in your household. I certainly hope all is well. Dont let anything we might say disrupt your plans. As mentioned, kids are only young once. When ours was young, we travelled everywhere we could. Now that ours is grown, we stay in touch as often as possible, and see each other every chance.

As far me, well we have another problem with the Jeep. YUP, a caliper locked up on me today. Ironically, I was towing my neighbors car up to my Sons shop because his water pump is bad, and we didnt want it to lock up and maybe break the timing belt.---We was only about 2 miles down the road when I smelled the brakes. So a quick turn around, and back home.  We will fix the Jeep next Saturday (I hope), then take the car. Just a small setback, no reason to get bent out of shape.  BIG reason to praise Almighty God though. It could have been much worse.

Hatfield, you may have to wait till tax time to buy your passes. I think we will have to do that this time. We will miss out on the BAFs (maybe-and maybe cost a bit more), but I think if we get passes, it will just have to be. AND, we definitely want passes.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2013, 09:57:10 AM »
OH no--Chitlins, I hope it is not because of any of my comments.  Then again, you being angry with me might be better than if a sudden disaster just happened in your household. I certainly hope all is well. Dont let anything we might say disrupt your plans. As mentioned, kids are only young once. When ours was young, we travelled everywhere we could. Now that ours is grown, we stay in touch as often as possible, and see each other every chance.

As far me, well we have another problem with the Jeep. YUP, a caliper locked up on me today. Ironically, I was towing my neighbors car up to my Sons shop because his water pump is bad, and we didnt want it to lock up and maybe break the timing belt.---We was only about 2 miles down the road when I smelled the brakes. So a quick turn around, and back home.  We will fix the Jeep next Saturday (I hope), then take the car. Just a small setback, no reason to get bent out of shape.  BIG reason to praise Almighty God though. It could have been much worse.

Hatfield, you may have to wait till tax time to buy your passes. I think we will have to do that this time. We will miss out on the BAFs (maybe-and maybe cost a bit more), but I think if we get passes, it will just have to be. AND, we definitely want passes.

That had nothing to do with this site or SDC. And it's more to do about my mental wellbeing for about 3hrs on Sat for a about 12 to 14 weeks of the year. I blew a gasket about noon yesterday and blew oil till mid afternoon where planting violas in the flower bed repaired me.

miesvander

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2013, 02:44:51 PM »
Come November 1st we will be the proud owner's of two adult and two kids 2014 season passes to SDC.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »
^^^^^
Congratulations and welcome to the site!
I'm Your Huckleberry

trobertson001

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2013, 08:09:36 PM »
We have taken a couple of years off due to being disappointed of the direction the park has taken.  This year we came back and was not happy.  Why do they have to put all of those booths on the main square.  You cant get around and it looses the charm of the place.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2013, 09:57:21 PM »
Why do they have to put all of those booths on the main square.  You cant get around and it looses the charm of the place.
  This I agree with.  I think they could spread a lot of this else ware around the city.  There arte plenty of dead areas that could use some more activity.  Like the Red Gold Area and the area near the water boggin tower, either side of the train Bridge near the saloon.  It does detract from the square to fill it up with a maze of booths.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2013, 08:30:04 AM »
They have historically placed visiting crafters on Main Street for as long as I can remember. It's only for a short while, and I actually like them there. I wish the sorghum guy had center stage as in the past. I loved walking in the park and seeing that demo before anything else.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2013, 08:33:26 AM »
They packed the square like that during the fall festival when I worked there in the 70s and 80s. Even had open wood fires going for the apple butter demonstration, using a copper kettle.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2013, 11:59:44 AM »
Why do they have to put all of those booths on the main square.  You cant get around and it looses the charm of the place.
  This I agree with.  I think they could spread a lot of this else ware around the city.  There arte plenty of dead areas that could use some more activity.  Like the Red Gold Area and the area near the water boggin tower, either side of the train Bridge near the saloon.  It does detract from the square to fill it up with a maze of booths.

Although I agree, I can perhaps see why they do it. Everyone who enters the park has to go through the main square. So anything they put there is guaranteed to get lots of attention. It could be argued that such a practice looses the charm of Silver Dollar City, but the main square has always been the central location for live entertainment, craftsmen, and special activities. Besides, if you spread it out too sparsely, some things may get easily bypassed.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2013, 03:58:52 PM »
They packed the square like that during the fall festival when I worked there in the 70s and 80s. Even had open wood fires going for the apple butter demonstration, using a copper kettle.

I remember that, also!  There wasn't a better place to be in the fall with smells wafting from black powder, sorghum, apple butter, lye soap, the steaks that were cooked on open grills around the city.  I wish they bottled that smell!