Author Topic: Shepherd of the Hills Play Closing  (Read 28232 times)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Shepherd of the Hills Play Closing
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »
Speaking of modern movies, 95% (maybe more!?!) are absolute crap. Last movie I saw in the theater was Soul Surfer, and before that it was UP. I guess the times have just passed me by, but considering the popularity of Duck Dynasty and RFD-TV maybe its time for it. Good wholesome entertainment seems to be ready to make a comeback.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2013, 11:34:27 AM »
Went to the drive in for Despicable Me 2, and Planes...before that I think it was The Artist...don't go often because of my daughter who is 2 now...so the last 3 yrs have been a blur, no movies!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »
Back to topic, we went last Thursday night while we were in Branson. I estimate about 200 people were there. Most of the crowd was elderly and had difficulty with the many steps in the amphitheater. Even though an announcement was made at the beginning about turning off cell phones and no flash photography, there was a good bit of flash photography and cell phone use. At intermission another announcement was made. We even changed seats during intermission due to the folks in front us being not polite and respectful of the people around them. 

Although I had seen the play as a child and then as an adult about 25 years ago, I really didn't remember much of the play. At the beginning of the play we had some difficulty in understanding what was being said -- low volume, dialect, speed of speaking, but that did improve as the play went on. Not much interaction between young Matt and Sammie before Ollie arrived back from the big city so it was difficult to see why she was torn between Ollie and young Matt. 

Terry Sanders played Ollie. He totally lost it at one point during his monologue because of something yelled to him from the audience. It was very funny.

Anyway, we could understand some of the things that led to a decline in attendance. I can see how the play could be revamped somewhat to fit into SDC as a production similar to "For the Glory" or "Headin' West".

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2013, 10:41:15 AM »
Interesting mini review biscuitcreek!  :)

According to Terry Sander's Facebook post, it was standing room only at the play on Friday night.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2013, 12:25:28 PM »
Speaking of modern movies, 95% (maybe more!?!) are absolute crap. Last movie I saw in the theater was Soul Surfer, and before that it was UP. I guess the times have just passed me by, but considering the popularity of Duck Dynasty and RFD-TV maybe its time for it. Good wholesome entertainment seems to be ready to make a comeback.

Guess you missed that whole best show ever stuff about a guy that cooks meth ;D

Good By Baby Blue

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2013, 10:06:24 PM »

Guess you missed that whole best show ever stuff about a guy that cooks meth ;D

Good By Baby Blue

Oh yes Breaking Bad , best show ever.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2013, 07:06:07 AM »
Went last nite, did the sons of pioneers and the play also..

Very good dinner and show by the pioneers. They sang some great classic, old country songs and some good ole western songs..  None of the new "county western" crap.. :)

The play was sold out and is already sold out next Thursday,friday and of course sat.. (last nite)

Well depicted, well played, the actors did a "decent" job overall. Evidently the Terry Sander, getting yelled at from the audience and him "losing it" is part of the show,, It is a great break in the play, and FUNNY!!

After watching it, I see why it is losing its touch.. too bad it could not be revamped, modified, "fancied" up and get renewed... but only so much you can do.

I could see something like this being done in the red gold hall, if it was done like Its a wonderful life, with all the different backgrounds..

Overall nice show, This is an Icon that will be missed

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2013, 09:06:31 AM »
Although my first wish is for SDC to take over it, I wonder if School of the Ozarks could do a good job with it. They have some hard working creative kids there. With a little advertising, and some sprucing up, I could see it working.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2013, 09:43:35 PM »
This is terrible news.  :(  Sadly, this is just the beginning.  I don't see SOTH staying open at all for very long unless someone steps in and buys it.  We have made it a family effort to visit SOTH every year and have taken the tour many times.  It is my favorite novel of all time.  I have only seen the show twice, however, and the last time was probably 10 or 15 years ago.  My father never wanted to go to the show.  I was planning on taking my wife to be next year after she read the novel, as I have been wanting to go again.  Now I have to face the harsh realization that I won't get to see it again.

Sadly, I see SOTH going the way of Mutton Hollow.  I think Inspiration Tower will stay open with the zipline, but the rest of the park will go under.  Hopefully the State will step in and name it a State Park, or someone like SDC will buy it, but I'm not going to hold my breath.  Funny that the novel speaks about the mad, senseless rush of the world.  That same rush is leading to decreased attendance at this gem of a park.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2013, 09:59:04 PM »
Well I guess it is a National Historic Landmark, so the Cabin and area will always be preserved, right?  At least it can't go anywhere.  I just wonder about the tours, shops, lights, chuckwagon, etc.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2013, 01:50:31 AM »
Well depicted, well played, the actors did a "decent" job overall. Evidently the Terry Sander, getting yelled at from the audience and him "losing it" is part of the show,, It is a great break in the play, and FUNNY!!

As much as I love Terry Wayne, I do not like how he/they turned Ollie into an absurd clown. He was a clownish character even in the book, but believably so, as a local who just got too puffed up with himself.

After watching it, I see why it is losing its touch.. too bad it could not be revamped, modified, "fancied" up and get renewed... but only so much you can do.

I think the show suffered too much of that already; see my previous comments.

It seems that the more they moved from locals to "professional actors", the more rushed and stilted the dialogue became, until it sounded like the 9th Grade class play.

30+ years ago, we wandered the stage before the show like we were visiting a real town. The blacksmith was working, the steam engine was running and grinding meal, and cast members were milling around in character just like SDC Citizens did back in that same time frame. We joined in the barn dance and joined the bucket brigade to help put out the cabin fire. The fight scenes were frighteningly realistic, and the body-mounted mics captured each punch leaving no doubt that they weren't just playing around. The livestock were gorgeous and the actors knew how to ride (there's nothing like a flying dismount from a saddle mule who's skidding to a stop, or that wagon sliding sideways after flying in from stage right behind a 4 horse/mule team at full run!)

Like I said, this is why after some contemplation I decided to skip going one last time, and just savor my memories.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2013, 08:05:28 AM »
KB, you are absolutely correct.....  My point being, that through the years the people that enjoyed the show has either passed away, moved on, or just don't go as often....  AND the new generations just "don't get it".. 

Kids might enjoy it if it was flashy, had some lasers and such....  (maybe)..  And now, if the kids done enjoy it, or don't want to go.....  they parents cave in and move on.............  NOT all parents, but a large majority of them..

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2013, 05:05:47 PM »
didn't know this...  not only is the play ending.....  the son of the pioneers are no longer going to be there for the dinner/show.....    what a shame,  this is a real loss to the area...  starting to sound to me like the current owners needed to find investers or maybe sold out and got in some fresh money.....  no offense intended top current owners..

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_84e83174-35dc-11e3-9a1b-0019bb2963f4.html

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2013, 05:31:20 PM »
Driving back into town from SDC this past Saturday night it looked like things were really hopping at Shepherd of the Hills.  It was the largest crowd I had seen in a long, long time.  The parking lot was full, there were a bunch of trams running and a long line for dinner.  It reminded me of the glory days when large crowds were common but made me sad to think the play is going away.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2013, 05:38:01 PM »
yes, I was there sat for the sons, then the play...  quite a dinner crowd..  lots of people walking aound the lots, stores and inspiration tower area...  of course play was sold out...

lots of people there, the weather was near perfect