Author Topic: End of the Lye Soap Booth, buy your soap NOW  (Read 22472 times)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: End of the Lye Soap Booth, buy your soap NOW
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 06:48:53 AM »
I would gladly learn to make lye soap and work in the lye soap booth. And I am cheap. ;)
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • "Now boys, be good to the tourists!" - Mitch Jayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »
I wonder if anyone has ever thought about bringing local students from C. of O. or elsewhere to "apprentice" in various crafts, a la the Foxfire books?

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2013, 10:36:03 AM »
My wife and I spent a great deal of time talking with the delightful lady who ran the operation--note past tense:  this past Saturday was her LAST.  The soap will be made through the end of October by another delightful lady who had previously been assigned as a choclateer.

Lye is a problem:  it is regulated in just about any amount because of the blasted meth makers.

The retiring citizen made it clear that she did not know what was going to happen to the operation, which leaves me some hope that it will return.

We asked what her operation made last year, and she was not reluctant to tell us--I just don't know how broadly the number should be publicized.  BUT I can say with NO DOUBT that it was a large enough number to make my jaw drop.  The revenue from Lye Soap was well past the middle of 5 figures.  That ain't chump change!

We bought 3 logs to get us through the winter, but it is possible that the operation WILL return.  Let us make our voices heard!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2013, 10:42:32 AM »
We asked what her operation made last year, and she was not reluctant to tell us

This info was shared with me as well.   I cannot see how this amount of revenue does not warrant a roof without walls, no air conditioning, just a register and a electric fan for hot days and loses money.  This adds  flavor to the park and I am sure is self sufficient. 

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2013, 11:36:41 AM »
I am sure that the government has some sort of license for this type of operation, even with it being so regulated. I live in Oklahoma and farmers can still buy fertilizer even after it was used to make a bomb.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »
I wonder if anyone has ever thought about bringing local students from C. of O. or elsewhere to "apprentice" in various crafts, a la the Foxfire books?

It's been done for some time now. The glassblowers are a great example - most are from the College of the Ozarks. A lot of the ride attendants are students too. I guess it's harder to find kids who want to do things like broom-making or soap making though I guess. As a college student myself though, I would do it in a heart beat.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2013, 03:44:01 PM »
Mom and dad went this weekend.  Dad went to buy a brick and he told them how upset he was that they weren't opening next year.  The lady they talked to told him that they will be there next year.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2013, 04:00:29 PM »
The lady they talked to told him that they will be there next year
Maybe we have made a difference.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 04:10:10 PM »
^^I hope your information is correct.

It used to be these "craft demonstrations" were entertaining to watch, with corny humor and "audience" involvement.  Perhaps this is what has been lost and the reason for the loss in appeal.  Just walking by and seeing someone put a log on the fire ain't cuttin' it.

Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
My husband and I were at SDC on 10/2. We stopped at the lye shop during the late afternoon downpour that occured on Thursday. As we were making our purchase, we expressed our dismay about the shop closing. She urged us to contact SDC and let them know we wanted the shop to stay open. We have done so by the contact us form on the website.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2013, 09:02:07 AM »
My family, and I purchased (as in spent our money on) lye soap every single visit to Silver Dollar City. It has become a tradition! >:( :'(

I am definitely going to voice my thoughts to Silver Dollar City. Sure, they have the power to change things, but I also have the power to voice my thoughts on it. ;)

As they say, "a squeaky wheel gets the grease." :)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2013, 09:10:27 AM »
Rant, I mean uh message sent! I'm considering sending them a snail-mail letter too, or making a post on their Facebook. :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2013, 02:11:14 PM »
do both...  I just sent note to the "contact" us page...  headed for FB now...

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2013, 04:29:40 PM »
Operation Squeaky wheel is now in progress  ;D

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2013, 04:33:12 PM »
I posted a picture of a bar of soap on the FB page,   

I will also be down this weekend, will check and see if they will be back or not?