Author Topic: Kids Fest at Silver Dollar City  (Read 12411 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Kids Fest at Silver Dollar City
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 07:25:25 PM »
Well, the costumes would be a pretty simple solution to the illusion that we are really in the 1800s.

As the parent of a four-year-old, I can attest to the fact that she can be entertained by picking up sticks; and as the teacher of elementary students for 18 years, I know a bit about how to keep the attention of that crowd, as well.  Some entertaining shows and original projects can easily created to do this, appeal to families, and look good in advertisements - all without resorting to hiring entertainers from catalogs.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 07:43:59 PM »
Yes, entertaining shows can indeed be created.  But for some reason, Entertainment management likes to take the easy way out, which is as you said, hiring from a catalog.  They do travel around the country, viewing acts to find those they think might be appropriate.  Hmmmm.... travel around the country on the company dime or spend time in the office trying to write something funny and entertaining- what would I choose to do?  That's not saying it's right, it's just what they do.  Long ago they lost the will to create their own, except for the large production shows in the Opera House, and they spend years getting one of those done.  Frankly, I'm not sure anyone in E&E management has the ability to write the kind of comedy shows that we used to have, particularly in the Playhouse.  It's really sad.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 10:45:48 AM »
Current E&E philosophy is thet inovation is a danger. Hiring a proven act is less risk. Perhaps that is why, when I first worked there It seems we had a new Entertainment Director every year or two, and this one (who did away with the shows like those in the cast shots),  hired awayfrom Six Flags, has been with SDC for over 15 years now. Not sure what this says, but It's worked for them.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 07:08:56 PM »
Current E&E philosophy is thet inovation is a danger. Hiring a proven act is less risk.

See I don't agree with that and it just doesn't make sense to me. Why would they go down this route when they, themselves have proven that they can create their own shows and they will be great. But maybe you are right Zephon, maybe no one in the Entertainment department has the talent to do that anymore.

Isn't it more expensive to go out and find an act then just creating your own show anyway?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 11:29:25 AM »
makes no sense to me eather and thats one of the big reasons why I left entertainment
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 06:26:12 PM »
Actually, when you consider the man-hours spent in developing concepts, scripts, music, sets, etc., and then production costs such as rehearsal, props, set materials and construction, and then add to that regular payroll for cast and crew, it is very likely that contracting a "ready-made" show is cheaper, and probably by quite a bit.

Of course, as has already been cussed and discussed, you're not necessarily getting a show that meshes with the theme.

I'm not saying they don't have the ability to create any kind of show, just look at Dicken's, Listen to the River, and Headin' West.  They seem to do fine on big production shows that are planned for the Opera House, but a lot of the creative vision is supplied by an outside writer/director.   And the Echo Hollow show is simply, well, you're standard music show.  There is the Saloon show, but it is usually a lot of old bits and music tied together by slightly different storylines; nothing really fresh there.

But the shows with comedy and slapstick that used to be prevalent at SDC are probably quite a stretch for the imaginations of the current staff.   
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 06:30:50 PM »
Would it be so hard to bring back the old shows and simply put them on five year rotations?  There would be plenty of material and the shows would be ready to be rerun after 25 years.  People would even look forward to seeing them again.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 08:18:04 PM »
I know I step lightly onto this subject (not being in the position to make decisions and all), but how much of the reason we don't see a lot of the shows we all remember being at the City, goes toward the National trend to "scrub" some of the perceived "offensive" nature of the humor?  (I hate using the term Politically correct).  And I don't mean to say that any of it was nasty to begin with.

If you take a look though, a lot of what was considered charming in the past is looked at as being mildly offensive to some.  Even "mildly" offensive in this day and age of trying to grab every market out there is a risk some people are wanting to shy away from I think. 

Not saying it is right, and not saying it is wrong.  Just sayin'

Thoughts?
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

sdcforever

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 09:18:22 AM »
^I think that's a big reason why they don't use a lot of the old shows.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 03:45:33 PM »
No excuse.  For a few of the older shows, this may be true, but others can be salvaged enough to entertain.  If we're cutting all the offensive stuff for everybody, there's some current material that needs to be cut, as well, but that would be pretty picky.

Do you think they were offending hillbillies?  Who else?

sdcforever

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 04:39:32 PM »
Even though I think they might be afraid of offending people today by bringing back the old shows, they could do some rewrites of the old scripts.  I don't think it would be that difficult to remove the more offensive material and still salvage the story.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 05:40:29 PM »
I always found the poking fun at the hill folk culture "sweet" (I guess especially since I was raised there), but I do remember some vague references to the women-folk, etc...that I was curious would stand the test of time.  That is what I was referring to. 

All I am saying is it makes you wonder how some of the content would be perceived today.  Similar to how shooting at hippos was taken out of Jungle Cruise and having the Pirates chase the women in Pirates of the Caribbean.

I loved having all of the women pick up their feet on the train.  I couldn't wait for that line because inevitably, we would all look at my mom and make her blush!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:20:05 PM by betamike »
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 06:23:54 PM »
OK.... I think that we need to get back on topic here and discuss on Kidsfest this season.

If you want to discuss the current conditions of the entertainment dept of SDC, let's make a specific thread about it and move all discussions and disagreements there.

kthnxbai
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 08:51:32 AM »
^I was just thinking how we got a little OT there.

Back to Kids Fest, I think it really got away from SDC's theme when they started partnering with Nickelodeon.  Does anyone know when that partnership started?  I just think it's hard to stay "100 Years In the Past" when you're featuring shows like Double Dare in your park.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 09:55:14 AM »
^I remember the Double Dare show. It was actually a really fun show but you're right, it doesn't fit it with the theme at all. I think the partnership started in the mid 90's. I have pictures of me with Rugrats characters (my favorite show back in the day) at SDC in the mid to late 90's and the partnership hadn't started much earlier than that.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."