Author Topic: Your Festival Ideas  (Read 17360 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Your Festival Ideas
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 09:11:25 PM »
Nope.  They wanted to advance the years to stay 100 years beyond the present year.  This year would be 1913, and we would be seeing great advancements in transportation if the idea had flown.  The festival above would be a future "vision" as conceived by the folks in the 1880s, along with some tongue-in-cheek technology proposals that might even look suspiciously like today's technology, only with a turn-of-the-century appearance.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 07:38:09 PM »
Love your ideas History Buff- I know many people who would go for that including me. 

Also, I don't think SDC should shy away from Halloween by an means.  WOF & SF can have the frightening versions of the holiday, that is fine and WOF does an awesome job at it.  SDC's version would be family friendly and all about bringing families together for the holiday.  I think they could really own this, maybe even have a 10pm closing on Saturdays during Sept & Oct something I know people in the area would like to see happen.  The train could turn into "The Legends of the Ozarks" and have a fun and scary feel; the area has numerous stories to tell.  I think this could help revitalize a festival that has been struggling with its identity the last few years.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »
There are ways to scare people without digging into witchcraft, demons, and killing.  The Burning of Marmaros would make for a terrific show in the Opera House.  Living scarecrows could be a humorous interactive experience.  Sing-along hayrides through the woods at night could easily be done.  Pumpkin carving demonstrations and competitions could would be fun, and well-place bonfires could help with lighting and ambience.  Roasted corn and pumpkin funnel cakes round out the menu.  I don't think it would be a stretch to create a world record scarecrow using the WB tower as a framework.

Where I used to work, we had a crawl-through haymaze through complete darkness.  I added access point at which I could make scratching and subtle growling sounds.  I use PVC to throw my voice to all corners of the maze.  It took people 1/2 hour to find the exit.  They were scared.  We didn't have to use evil themes to scare them.

I was at WoF before the haunted stuff began, but the decorations were already up.  I found the dead baby display to be distasteful.  I don't get anything from that kind of stuff, but with creativity, SDC could add some class to the season.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:57:24 PM by History Buff »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 09:20:32 PM »
Future Fest:  SDC brings a vision of the new century.  What will life be like in the 20th Century?

This is SDC's shot at bringing a steampunk vision of the future to the City - art displays, steam technology used in all new ways, perhaps even some competitions to go along with a yearly theme.

Would love to see a steampunk type festival.

sarahdickson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 02:28:53 PM »
now that the new festival has been announced, I hope the American theme is like a huge independence day theme like they do for Christmas and shoot fireworks every night....that would be awesome.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 10:39:28 PM »
Future Fest:  SDC brings a vision of the new century.  What will life be like in the 20th Century?

This is SDC's shot at bringing a steampunk vision of the future to the City - art displays, steam technology used in all new ways, perhaps even some competitions to go along with a yearly theme.

Would love to see a steampunk type festival.

We've had that discussion. I agree with you, but others have a different take, and see steampunk as an occult movement.

If Doc Harris isn't steampunk, I don't know what is.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 09:36:58 AM »
http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.18629/event.7

Not trying to get too snarky. but I wish SDC was more like this and less like an amusement park (oh, and admission is free)  ;D

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • "Now boys, be good to the tourists!" - Mitch Jayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »
There are ways to scare people without digging into witchcraft, demons, and killing.  The Burning of Marmaros would make for a terrific show in the Opera House.  Living scarecrows could be a humorous interactive experience.  Sing-along hayrides through the woods at night could easily be done.  Pumpkin carving demonstrations and competitions could would be fun, and well-place bonfires could help with lighting and ambience.  Roasted corn and pumpkin funnel cakes round out the menu.  I don't think it would be a stretch to create a world record scarecrow using the WB tower as a framework.

Where I used to work, we had a crawl-through haymaze through complete darkness.  I added access point at which I could make scratching and subtle growling sounds.  I use PVC to throw my voice to all corners of the maze.  It took people 1/2 hour to find the exit.  They were scared.  We didn't have to use evil themes to scare them.

I was at WoF before the haunted stuff began, but the decorations were already up.  I found the dead baby display to be distasteful.  I don't get anything from that kind of stuff, but with creativity, SDC could add some class to the season.

I sound like a broken record here, but Randolph's "Ozark Magic and Folklore" has a plethora of stories that could easily be adapted for a Halloween program, etc. My buddy & I did a version of our program on Ozarks ghosts & superstitions for "The Haunting of the Hills" program at Ozarks National Scenic Riverways, Nathan Boone Homestead State Historic Site, etc. We don't have any bells and whistles, just the stories...as Randolph documented.

Contrary to some folks today, the Ozarks was a very superstitious place back in the late 19th - early 20th century. Randolph was working in the 1930s and 40s, and it was still alive then. Denying that part of Ozarks history and culture does the region a disservice, in my opinion.

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 10:10:45 AM »
http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.18629/event.7

Not trying to get too snarky. but I wish SDC was more like this and less like an amusement park (oh, and admission is free)  ;D

Check out Living History Farms in Des Moines, Iowa:

http://www.lhf.org/

They do it right -- but coming from a long line of Iowans, I'm just a bit biased.  ;D

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 10:30:03 AM »
They do it right -- but coming from a long line of Iowans, I'm just a bit biased. 

I've never been to the one at Beavers Bend, but its only a five hour drive. Iowa is a bit too far  ;D

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 06:26:31 PM »

I sound like a broken record here, but Randolph's "Ozark Magic and Folklore" has a plethora of stories that could easily be adapted for a Halloween program, etc. My buddy & I did a version of our program on Ozarks ghosts & superstitions for "The Haunting of the Hills" program at Ozarks National Scenic Riverways, Nathan Boone Homestead State Historic Site, etc. We don't have any bells and whistles, just the stories...as Randolph documented.

Contrary to some folks today, the Ozarks was a very superstitious place back in the late 19th - early 20th century. Randolph was working in the 1930s and 40s, and it was still alive then. Denying that part of Ozarks history and culture does the region a disservice, in my opinion.

I'll agree with this:  I would even attend a symposium or something with export breakout sessions (i.e., lectures).  How many of us would be interested in OzCon (Comic-Con) in which experts could share the Ozarks.  A superstitions and myths theme would be interesting, but might some parents not want their children exposed to those things.  I would propose something more voluntary in Red Gold.

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 09:23:51 PM »

I'll agree with this:  I would even attend a symposium or something with export breakout sessions (i.e., lectures).  How many of us would be interested in OzCon (Comic-Con) in which experts could share the Ozarks.  A superstitions and myths theme would be interesting, but might some parents not want their children exposed to those things.  I would propose something more voluntary in Red Gold.

Not a bad idea...about five years ago a friend of mine and I presented such a breakout session at the now defunct "Celtic Connections Eureka" weekend that was held in conjunction with a Robert Burns Supper at the Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs. We highlighted the Scottish roots of Ozarks folk culture, including superstitions, ghost stories, etc. It might be a bit too "academic" for SDC, but who knows? The possibility of an "OzCon" is certainly an appealing one. It's a bit like what the Ozark Studies folks at MSU do with the Ozarks Celebration Festival, but there's no reason why it couldn't be duplicated.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 05:20:41 PM »
I was really hoping they'd do some kind of festival concerning the Civil War since we're still in the sesquicentennial.  Maybe some displays on the James/Younger gang since they were Missouians.  I know they've had re-enactors set up camp at SDC but I'd like to see some kind of extended festival for that period.  There's still 2 years left.  You gotta keep the education going with the fun, right History Buff?  :)
I'm Your Huckleberry

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 07:51:21 PM »
Seems like it would be easy enough to pull some "volunteers" from Wilson's Creek or Pea Ridge.  And bring back an updated Civil War show in the Opera House!

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 04:08:49 PM »
Seems like it would be easy enough to pull some "volunteers" from Wilson's Creek or Pea Ridge.  And bring back an updated Civil War show in the Opera House!

Back in '01 I was sent to SDC as part of a cooperative effort between Wilson's Creek/NPS and SDC as the latter had just released "For the Glory". I spent a Sunday at the park in the exposition hall near the Riverside Theatre with one of our reproduction 6-pound cannons and other displays. There was an older gentleman who was with a me, an SDC "citizen", who was a lot of fun to talk to. I wish I could remember his name.

It was somewhat surreal walking around the park in "gray and green" being asked questions about SDC by tourists, though.  8)

Sadly, WICR and PERI won't be providing any official help anytime soon thanks to the recent fracas in DC, but there are a number of reenactment units in the area who might.

I've always thought it might be fun for my old Spanish-American War reenacting unit to come down and be SDC's National Guard company, since that period would be more "correct" for "Miss Molly's Time".

T.