Author Topic: Your Festival Ideas  (Read 17474 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Your Festival Ideas
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »
OK, it's time.  Kids Fest has seen its final year, and the Salute to the American Cowboy is rumored to be leaving.  Does anyone have any ideas for new festivals that perhaps the team at SDC hasn't dreamed up?

How about the Salute to America, including special weeks dedicated to American Kids, American Parents, American Teachers, American Veterans, American Farmers, and yes, American Cowboys?  This new festival takes place in June/July with special fireworks after dusk (shot from a platform in Lake Silver in front of the new fireworks factory?)

Your turn...
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Your Festival Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:57:44 PM »
Well....I just want the Festival of Crafts and Music to return.  But, I really like your idea, History Buff!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 05:55:32 AM »
The National Harvest Festival is not leaving -- it just won't be "saluting" Cowboys next season
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 07:49:38 AM »
I didn't think the national harvest festival would go too soon.. 

whatever they do will be cowboy related. ( I think)

This is only the 2nd season for the stunt show, and I don't think they will do away with it that soon... (my opinion only)

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 04:25:21 PM »
I would really like to see a real BBQ Festival........One that actually brings in teams to compete and win prizes. They have these competitions all around the country and they attract large crowds. Could you imagine smelling smokers all around the park, and you purchasing a test kit to eat a little something from everyone. Maybe make it the finale to the BBQ and Bluegrass festival they already have.

I'd also like to see a "County Fair" festival......something that people could enter real contests (baking, sewing, etc.). Having multiple venders all over the park where you could buy their goods (breads, cobblers, pies, etc.). Something similar to the harvest festival but make it mainly food related.

Also a major music festival - Bluegrass, country, folk, etc. - make it a "fan fair" of the midwest. Meet and greet opportunities with music legends as well as some of the new artist just trying to get a big break.

Anyway, those are just some of my thoughts....

Jay

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »
An election season would be fun.  For those of us who remember Shad running for mayor for a season, it would be hilarious - especially when they deal with the issues of the 1880s as opposed to 2013.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 11:14:11 PM »
Anyone remember the 1980 election year at SDC? Eaton Doolittle running for office? Big political rally on Main Street followed by a parade down to the lakefront, followed by another rally and a shootout with stuntmen? I do, I was part of the shootout! (Cleaning the shotguns after the shoot out was always good for squeezing out a 20 minute break from working the line at the diving bell!)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 06:37:43 AM »
Maybe a short week long Halloween festival. Kids could trick or treat in the shops and some not so scary parties and attractions. Let WOF have the scary stuff and just concentrate on the kids.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 06:21:45 PM »
I'd stay away from Halloween and just stick with celebrating the Fall and Harvest time.
Halloween is Worlds of Fun's thing... yeah, Six Flags does something too, but everyone knows that WOF is the KING of Halloween in Missouri.   In fact, WOF's HAUNT is ranked only 2nd behind KBF in the chain.  They (WOF) are doing somethings at their event that only KBF does -- and in fact, if you go to KBF during their event, you will see a lot of things that originated at WOF and got copied there to KBF
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »
Swoosh??  Sorry guys??  KBF??

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 09:09:27 PM »
Swoosh??  Sorry guys??  KBF??

The jam place

Knotts Berry Farm

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 11:10:38 AM »
OK. My idea for a summertime kids festival is to bring back the old stories of SDC. The littlest mule. The day the toys came to silver dollar city, Zeke Hatfield and a ghost named Rocky. Have someone write some new stories that expand on the themes from Wildfire, powder Keg, Outlaw run and TNT. And have the rides bring the stories to life like they did when I was a kid. 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:09:35 PM »
Aunt Judy Dockery Young is the perfect person to do this idea, too!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 04:25:16 PM »
Future Fest:  SDC brings a vision of the new century.  What will life be like in the 20th Century?

This is SDC's shot at bringing a steampunk vision of the future to the City - art displays, steam technology used in all new ways, perhaps even some competitions to go along with a yearly theme.

Hollwood

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 08:44:17 PM »
They tried this once, and it failed... Big time!