Author Topic: CC's 2009 Project  (Read 17982 times)

sdcforever

Re: CC's 2009 Project
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 11:41:05 AM »
^This is an interesting debate.  I agree, we shouldn't compare CC and SDC.  I don't think HFE meant for CC to be another SDC.  It will be interesting to see their plan for the next few seasons with all of the big things coming up in the northern half of the state.  They won't have to worry about Schlitterbahn for another three years though.  The only thing tentatively planned for next year is some of the resort and shops.  The water resort won't be completed until 2011.  I think SDC will be fine with a river battle and hopefully a new and exciting coaster for 2009 or 2010.  Throw in a few new shows just for good measure.

Anyway, back on topic.  Will CC get anything exciting for 2009?  Roaring Falls is their biggest expansion to date.  I can't imagine HFE investing a large amount of money in another new expansion for next year.  If anything, I expect CC to revamp another used ride.  I have always seen CC as nothing more than a traveling carnival that has been permanently parked.  And I have no problem with that.  That atmosphere gives the park a certain charm that I like.  But as for 2009, I don't see something huge on the horizon for CC since SDC is getting a river battle and probably a new coaster in the next couple of years.  WW is getting a new slide complex for next year (assuming the rumors are true).  Those are big investments for HFE.  CC has it's latest big investment in Roaring Falls; I don't see another big investment for next year.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2008, 04:10:09 PM »
OK, I said I was finished, but I'm not.  I'll say this for CC:  what they did to revamp it for the first year was amazing.  The carousel, the Wildcat, and the main street are terrific - and in the same class as SDC, by the way.  If they continue to develop new idea the way they started when they bought the park, they can raise the bar for themselves.  Otherwise, we do all agree it's no SDC.  I wouldn't expect it to be in such a short time, but I would expect some improvements in the style and implementation as they add new items.  I would love to see them use their investments in carny rides by selling them and developing their own replacements slowly through the years - not just adding.  This would not require more land for expansion and would allow them to get rid of some of the older or less attractive rides.

I'm glad we could stir it up a bit.  If no one ever stirs the pot, the stew burns and no one is happy.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2008, 06:07:53 PM »
They won't have to worry about Schlitterbahn for another three years though.  The only thing tentatively planned for next year is some of the resort and shops.  The water resort won't be completed until 2011. 

According to the article in the KC Star the first phase of the waterpark will be open next year.
The first elements of the Vacation Village are scheduled to open in the summer of 2009 and will include the first phase of the Water Resort, several lodging components and the initial shops and restaurants to be developed along the projects themed Riverwalk
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2008, 07:25:33 PM »
I'm not sure why we are being so raggy on the fact that they have used carnival rides at CC.  This is no different than most other parks, including the other two big themers in the state WOF and SFStL.  Yes it was used, however I would rather them add that then nothing at all. 

I actually didn't mean to rag on the fact that they got some used carny rides. As long as they keep re-furbing them like they did the Stinger, I'll be more than happy to see more installed.

I think History Buff pretty much summed it all up perfectly though - we just want them to go back to what they were doing in the beginning, just like at SDC  ;).

If they took what they had on 'Main Street' and the Bijou and applied it to the new additions, we'd have a lot less to complain about. I think the next major addition will really be decisive for the park in the way it will go as far as theming and atmosphere, if that trend hasn't already been set by the Stinger and Roaring Falls.

Anyone hear any clues yet? Whatever they're doing is already in motion by now, so hopefully we'll see some action soon. I'm going to go ahead and place my bets on a new ride the likes of the Stinger: used, but dressed up good as new; family-friendly but also entertaining enough for everyone else. I just can't see them getting anything too big after touting the largest expansion yet this year.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2008, 09:27:07 PM »
Did they buy anything from Geauga Lake?
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 11:46:27 AM »
^I don't know.  That's an interesting saga, as all of the rides except two have been disassembled and moved elsewhere.  The big one that is still there, of course, being the Big Dipper.  The buyer is still a mystery, since it sold for only $5,000, though it will take about $1,000,000 to disassemble it and move it from the park.  It still sits there, as CF is having problems auctioning off the land (they feel it's worth more than the bids they're receiving).  It sounds like the mystery buyer wants to keep the ride intact, whether unoperating and on display or operating, I don't know.  The Big Dipper is a great piece of American nostalgia, since it's over 80 years old.  On one hand, I think it'd be great in CC especially over by the Boardwalk (since that's 1920s America themed, but there may not be room over there for it).  On the other hand, CC already has three coasters.  Is there room, need, or want for a fourth?

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2008, 06:20:03 PM »
Usually about this time of the year we know if anything big is coming, so either they are buying another used ride or not getting anything at all.
CC has potential, but it needs more attention to meet that potential.
For example, maybe the "Soup of the day" at the pasta restaurant could be an actual soup of the day rather than just chicken noodle every day. 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2008, 07:38:28 PM »
Meh, if the earlier attendance reports are still true, and CC's attendance was flat while SDC's went down, I'd say there's a good chance that CC will get something mildly entertaining for next year. The park hasn't been a huge cash cow for the chain, but I think they're starting to reach a tipping point. However, seeing as the Herschends are scaling back so much, and that they just spent a relative lot on Roaring Falls, maybe we're in for a disappointment. Be ready for anything I say, although we know by now that any long shot hopes for a spinner are gone.

Maybe they'll save up for next year and both SDC and CC will get coasters?

sdcforever

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2008, 07:59:16 PM »
^I think it'd be a good thing from a marketing standpoint for both SDC and CC to get new coasters in the same season.  They could market them together, even send out one press release announcing both coasters.  It might help boost SDC's attendance a bit while also helping out CC's attendance.

mike_kelly87

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2008, 11:34:20 PM »
I think it's time for something big, a B&M flyer would be cool, but then again that could play some really cool themeing for SDC too. Even a woodie from Gravity Group would be killer in both parks.. CC would be awesome with a woody like Hades.

They need to do something, especailly with WOF getting a new Woody, SFSL adding a new racing slide, HW adding a new Chute de Cute thats 130ft tall. It's my uderstanding that attendance was up at the CF parks this year and they even posted a profit. It's my understanding that Amusement Parks are supposed to do weel in this economic climate becuse people will goto the local park more instead of travel...

Ok so here is something Random, Roaring Falls before it came to Branson, the last year Geauga Lake was open... What killer vaction.