Author Topic: Bell's Is Coming Back!  (Read 5385 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Bell's Is Coming Back!
« on: July 02, 2008, 03:23:54 PM »
I've been listing to a radio interview with Robby Bell of Bell's Amusement Park for the last hour or so, and he's mentioned at least a hundred times that he is in the middle of a deal to secure land for the new Bell's Amusement Park!

Anyone that frequented the last site I ran knows that I am an avid Bell's fan, and I wrote a series of editorials and articles during the Bell's kick-out savagely attacking the whole situation and exposing the corruption that was going on (I was one of the first to point out the "campaign contribution made by the Murphy's to Randi Miller).

Anyway, all that has caught up with the crooked politicians in Tulsa, those that haven't been removed from office have had everything they've tried to do slashed to pieces, ruining their careers. Bell's is now back in the limelight as a beacon of Tulsan tradition and recreation.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Bell's Is Coming Back!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 06:05:26 PM »
I'm so glad to hear that.  I was hoping that Bells would find a home.  I have great memories of visits there when I was a kid.   :)

adairmd

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:27:49 PM »
Any idea where?  i wouldn't mind seeing it in Jenks near the river.  I would have liked to have seen Drillers stadium move there to, but it looks like it's moving downtown or around greenwood  >:(

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 02:09:06 AM »
I totally mis-read the title as "Bell's Coming Back!", meaning Rube's Diving Bell at SDC. Imagine my confusion when I tried to make sense of the thread! ;D

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 10:34:15 AM »
^^ A long time ago he was supposedly seriously considering a deal for a big piece of land along the river in Sand Springs - the site of an old mental hospital.  Could make for some good theming.

Robby also mentioned that the first thing he would do when laying out the final plans is to include a large new steel coaster. As he said, either one with loops or an inverted type.

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 12:08:58 AM »
I really hope I don't look like an idiot, but Bell's is in Tulsa, right?
My mom grew up in Tulsa, and she always mentioned a park with a wooden coaster named Zingo.
I've driven by a few times when I was out visiting family, but never gone in.

sdcforever

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 09:50:11 PM »
^Yes, Bell's is in Tulsa.  It was located in the Expo Square and had a coaster named Zingo.

MudCat15

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 02:48:09 PM »
Is Zingo in storage somewhere, or was it torn down and destroyed?  I remember them having to move everything in a hurry.  Only lived in Tulsa for four years, but the few times we did get to go to Bells my kids really enjoyed it.  Hope it comes back, Frontier City is not worth the hour and a half drive and Silver Dollar City requires much more planning.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 03:14:51 PM »
Zingo is still around, though a lot of it will have to be rebuilt. It actually probably would have been better if they had torn it down and then built a replica, but this will allow them to claim a part of Tulsa history with the new park.

I'm really excited for Bell's to be back as well - I've missed being able to run down there any time I want and being able to ride Zingo a few times just for the heck of it.

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 05:30:54 PM »
Good to hear Bells is making a comeback.
I never got to ride Zingo  :'(

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 08:35:59 PM »
has anyone heard anymore on this?..  Have they decided where it will go?
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 08:39:48 PM »
 I've no idea on whether the land deal went through or not, but the family has been wrapped up in politics, so they're probably not moving as quickly as they could be. In fact, they may be waiting until Sally Bell is elected to pick the project up again. Robby isn't exactly running a blog or anything, so we'll never know anything until they actually announce the new park, and that could be years from now.

sdcforever

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 08:54:42 AM »
Here's an interview from last month with Robbie Bell.  Bell's is looking at four possible locations for rebuilding, but money is the biggest issue right now.

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=11170072