Author Topic: do we need water shoes  (Read 5400 times)

eak3littlejohs

• View Profile
do we need water shoes
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:46:43 PM »
we r plannin a trip to white water n 3 weeks, should we buy water shoes to walk around in or what do yall suggest????? thanks!!!!!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: do we need water shoes
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 04:32:04 PM »
Back in the Stone Age when I frequented the park, (1980-1983) there was no such thing as water shoes. I was a hearty late teen/early 20s guy, and it appeared no body really needed water shoes back then if they did exist. You probably won't need 'em today, but the younger folk here might say different. If I was to go today, I probably wouldn't bother with them. I suppose it's up to you. Don't know what park policy is regarding the water shoes. I know even back in my day, they did not allow cutoffs because they said the metal fasteners scratched the fiberglass on the slides. Go have a great day. Take along the sun screen. I do remember a few nasty sun burns from by younger days because I thought I could be tough and go without back then!  ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

misskim

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 05:37:42 PM »
We love White Water and we never wear water shoes. You can wear them but we find them uncomfortable and more trouble than they're worth.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 08:52:45 AM »
Its not been a hot summer thus far however last year when we were at WW our feet started to burn on the concrete in the hot sun.  I would leave them in the car, the parking lot is small and you can easily run out there for the shoes or a quick drink or Subway sandwich tucked into the cooler.  It is not a bad idea to keep snacks in the car, that can really lighten the cost of the day.  I am not sure what the others think but I have only found the food at WW to be special in one way; Expensive.  Nothing special to eat there.  A few subs in a cooler and you will save enough to have a nice dinner or buy a souvenir somewhere.  Have a great time and bring a set of dry clothes for the ride home.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 09:26:30 AM »
We went two summers ago and did the 'sandwiches in the cooler in the car thing for lunch.'  As for water shoes, personally I would say they can't hurt. Last time the concrete was so hot it felt like our feet were burning. They eventually turned some sprinklers on to wet the surface, but it felt a little to late for me. We ended up in our flip flops for the rest of the day and had to hold them on the rides. Perhaps it turns out the sidewalks are ok and then you can just take them off and put them in your locker/cabana/whatever. But that's just my 2¢.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 11:32:10 AM »
Concrete sidewalks get very hot. I, too, have scorched my feet walking from place to place.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 05:00:42 PM »
Water shoes might be nice if the hot concrete bothers you, but they're not needed

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 10:02:39 AM »
I agree with the meet in the middle approach. Bring a pair along, keep them in the car, and grab them if needed.  ;D