Author Topic: White Waters numbers are down..  (Read 11947 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
White Waters numbers are down..
« on: August 01, 2013, 10:25:12 AM »
its the weather again!!  Seems like it has been fighting HFE in Branson all year.!

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_15ba59fc-f94c-11e2-bb40-001a4bcf887a.html

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: White Waters numbers are down..
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:00:13 AM »
Interesting. So the weather that has given Silver Dollar City a boost has subsequently worked against White Water. I do agree with the article that White Water is definitely pushing out the weekly special events. It's a bit of a shame that the attendance numbers just aren't as high as they would like them. But, like most things the weather will change, and I am sure next year will be a scorcher. :)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 11:17:20 AM »
Interesting. So the weather that has given Silver Dollar City a boost has subsequently worked against White Water. I do agree with the article that White Water is definitely pushing out the weekly special events. It's a bit of a shame that the attendance numbers just aren't as high as they would like them. But, like most things the weather will change, and I am sure next year will be a scorcher. :)

We have passed over White for two years when taking the kids to water Parks. It wasn't the weather. Whitewater needs work. The rise of city owned mini waterparks don't help.  There's one up the road just a little bit that has one of the body board wave thingys.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 11:32:45 AM »

Buy the red roof mall property from the city and build something like The Wilderness in the Smokies with a large indoor park along with the outdoor park.

misskim

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 02:14:31 PM »
We used to love WW but as our kids get older (19,17 and 13) it just doesn't hold their attention as much. We're there at opening, ride slides for an hour (and that's multiple rides on all the tube slides), then they do the lazy river and the wave pool for an hour and then they're ready to leave because the lines for the slides are long and not worth it. With the opening time not being until 10 am, my kids would almost rather just go to the hotel pool about 9 am, swim for a couple hours and then go to a different attraction in the afternoon. We're early risers and the 10 am open is just a little late for us. Even when we go to SDC we're heading out there between 8-8:30 to eat at the bakery or watch the opening show.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 02:36:50 PM »
We can certainly all agree that WW is ripe for a new attraction to recapture people's attention. I really appreciate the effort they've put into fixing the place up in recent years, but it still doesn't have many attractions to begin with.

As far as the topic at hand goes, being down 20,000 doesn't sound all that bad on the surface, but I have no idea what WW's numbers are usually like. I would guess they only get on the order of 300,000 visitors per year, and even that might be a tall estimate.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 05:49:15 PM »
Interesting.  Both Oceans of Fun and Schlitterbahn's numbers are up... hmm....
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 09:30:53 PM »
Interesting.  Both Oceans of Fun and Schlitterbahn's numbers are up... hmm....

That's it. Magic Springs added a new play structure this year and even Wild River Country is going to add one. And if you miss the old rapids at White Water, guess what that place still has theirs.

Magic Springs lets me in for about the same price as White Water but I get to ride coasters too.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 10:02:13 PM »
^You won't get to ride roller coaster there much longer.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 11:04:12 PM »
^You won't get to ride roller coaster there much longer.

so they are getting rid of all of them?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 11:12:13 PM »
Yes.  They have already removed the Shake, Rattle and Roll and were trying to remove X-Coaster this year but apparently it wasn't assembled "correctly" and was actually welded together instead which made its removal next to impossible without damage.

That leaves an SLC, minetrain and a very old woodie
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 11:16:33 PM »
Yes.  They have already removed the Shake, Rattle and Roll and were trying to remove X-Coaster this year but apparently it wasn't assembled "correctly" and was actually welded together instead which made its removal next to impossible without damage.

That leaves an SLC, minetrain and a very old woodie

I like that old woody, rode it in Florida. And knowing that the mine trains brother is still at SFST is neat.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 02:54:18 PM »
It's not fair to compare the kc parks and branson this year.  The national weather service just released the data on July precip.  July alone showsthat Brandon got 2-3 times the rain kc did.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p480x480/999435_650014905009613_143927308_n.png

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/sgf/scripts/localdata.php?loc=appcli&data=monthly_summaries/2013/2013jul/overview.htm&format=noprint&type=html

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 03:59:26 PM »
Might not be fair, but that's the way it works
SWOOSH

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 04:35:16 PM »
The reason the KC waterparks have better numbers has more to do with them being far superior parks.  It has nothing to do with the weather.