Author Topic: OUTLAW RUN---New Restraints  (Read 28538 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: OUTLAW RUN---New Restraints
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 03:24:06 PM »
Chitlins-I understand why the disgust in your posts, but you have no reason to complain at all. You at least did get the chance to ride.

This year has been meyham for me. I have only been to SDC one time this spring (and it snowed that day-OR was closed). We are planning (what may be our final trip to SDC in 2013) in 2 weeks.

I am not quite 6' tall and about a 38" waist. Some jeans I need to buy 40".

I guess if they are turning away 36" waists. I will NEVER be able to ride OR.

Only way to know is to try sitting in the test seat. I guess. -- I have a friend with a 44" waist. He can just barely fit on Batman at SFSL. He  ;Dcan get to one click. I (on the other hand) can ride Batman, but I cant make the first click. The only thing holding the restraint is the seatbelt for me.

I'm currently in 38/40jeans depending on who makes them. I am very broad shouldered and coming out of high school I wore 34s I had a 52 inch chest. B&Ms like Wildfire are a no go for me because I had the audacity to do power clings. :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:36:40 PM by chittlins »

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 05:11:39 PM »
Does anyone think we'll see different trains next year with over the shoulder restraints?

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 05:26:17 PM »
Does anyone think we'll see different trains next year with over the shoulder restraints?

Some think seatbeats would fix it. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 05:45:37 PM »
I would hope for all you riders that this "concern" will go by the wayside and be back to normal in a month or so.. With the Texas accident and the "lady" crying "wolf", everyone in the trade is on overtime looking for problems and ways to "fix" them before they happen.

No need for new cars, there  have been no problems.  From what I hear the ride just would not be the same with shoulder restraints..

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 06:01:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure the goal was not to limit their rider audience.  This can't be anything but frustrating for HFE.  For a park that boasts "family-friendly" rides, this effectively limits the riders to kids and teenagers.  A redesign must be in order.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 06:47:08 PM »
My daughter will not ride it without her Daddy.  This effects two of us. The reason we bought season tickets was for Outlaw Run this year. After it being down on multiple trips along with Powder Keg as well, maybe it's time SDC thinks about a GCI.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 10:36:47 AM »

Some think seatbeats would fix it. 

I'm definitely not a physicist, but seat belts sure would be an easy "backup" fix. I like it. :)

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »
I will be there tomorrow.  I am 6'1" and 180 lb.  I will report back on whether I was able to ride or not

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 10:55:09 AM »
Wildfire, I would sure hope you can ride it.... 

because if you cant that will count out about 50% of potential riders or more...... :o :o :o :o

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 11:16:41 AM »
I will be there tomorrow.  I am 6'1" and 180 lb.  I will report back on whether I was able to ride or not

I haven't been 180 since Jr high.  :)

There's one poster at another that swears this was in the works for some time and it's more about comfort. If that's the case it's even more boneheaded. Got to admit I'm having a hard time forgiving and forgeting due to the pitch that this would accommodate larger people.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 04:00:22 AM »
When I relayed this dilema to a former coworker (who feels that everything in some percentage is a conspiracy) immediately said this. "I have heard that one of the biggest complaints about OR, is from the employees (citizens) that the lines are too long, and they are too busy trying to keep the lines flowing. I bet this new restraint procedure is really a ploy to reduce the line so the employees can twiddle their thumbs."

Of course I do really like this guy, and we spent lots of time together at SFSL.  He still works at SFSL, I no longer work there. This guy lives a miles away from me, I stopped by the other day.

All I can say is that a typical SFSL employee would feel this way, and maybe even say it in public. I have never felt like an SDC citizen shares this opinion. But if HFE had this in mind with this procedure, they deserve to lose every guest throughout the entire (remaining) 2013 season.  I (and I imagine everyone here) would be simply up-haulled).

I believe this situation will be worked by 2014 if not by OTC 2013.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 09:40:44 AM »
I cannot imagine HFE wanting to reduce ridership on their new, $10 MIL coaster.  That's plain silly.  I suspect they're pulling their hair out over it.  OR has had a tough year already, and, as little as I like coasters or care about coaster fandom, I really want OR to succeed because a whole bunch of SDC's future is riding on on thsoe wooden tracks.

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 09:52:59 AM »
So what exactly has changed about the restraints? Anybody have some pictures or could explain or get some? Is it less accommodating than powder keg? Looking for more info.
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

emmabugsmama

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »
Saturday had a 6 inch difference, I couldn't ride. I was MAD.  Sunday however just had a 4 inch difference and I could.  The bar now goes to your thighs, not your middle. Some tall people, and bigger had to still get off.  I am just glad they are trying to keep us safe.  The ride operators on OR are some of the most attentive in the park. I am 5'9 1/2 and 235.  Again, I stress it is ALL just for safety, no one wants a repeat of the incident at Six Flags.  This was the manufacturer's decision, not SDC's.  I know the ride operators are just as frustrated.  They've been cussed at and spit on.  I promise they are doing everything they can to fix this to everyone's liking.  In the mean time, it's salads for me.  I've ridden OR 80 times and I'm not about to stop now.
I'm gettin' outta here, no matter what!

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 12:39:28 PM »
They told one rider on Sun before it went down that his thighs were too large and would not allow the bar to go lower. He didn't have much a spare tire.

Another poster somewhere said from what he witnessed at least one person from every load was getting the boot. That ballparks it at least 50 people per hour.
So that is hundreds on a busy Sat that may not be vocal but unhappy patrons that may not return to the park, patrons with families in tow. That may not be the "droves" that Swoosh's favorite rollercoaster expert called  idiodic  while also trashing "park centric" sites like this. You certainly can't disagree there either. That "droves" account was reported at Screamscape by the way

I suppose what hacks me most is the nonresponse I've gotten from my email to HFE. They don't want to talk about or address the change publically it seems.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:21:01 PM by chittlins »