Author Topic: OUTLAW RUN---New Restraints  (Read 28711 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: OUTLAW RUN---New Restraints
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »
So what exactly has changed about the restraints? Anybody have some pictures or could explain or get some? Is it less accommodating than powder keg? Looking for more info.

They just don't want you to blanking die.  ::)

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »
I was able to ride fine.  I saw people taller than me ride and I'm 6'1".  I did witness a quy about 6'2" 275ish get turned away.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 06:38:04 PM »
I suppose what hacks me most is the nonresponse I've gotten from my email to HFE. They don't want to talk about or address the change publically it seems.

From emmabugsmama's report, it sounds like it's changing day to day. If they put anything out publicly, it probably wouldn't be accurate by the time it was read.

I'm 5'10", and probably pushing 270 at the moment. My belly is big, but my thighs aren't fat; they're huge in a muscular way, and always have been. I could leg press 750 pounds when I weighed 148 in high school.

My fat belly will give way for the bar, but if they're cranking it down that tight on the thighs, I might be a no-go too.

Sungod

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 07:35:45 PM »
I'll be very interested the next time I'm at the park and check out the new restraints. On opening day I was 6'8" and around 300 pound and fit just fine (except for that bar pressing against my shins). Since then I have lost 40 pounds and have fit even better. So if NOW all the sudden it's a safety concern is jus ridiculous. I'm just now returning from Cedar Point and got on both Millenium Force and Top Thrill Dragster and those coasters are notorious for having tight seatbelts. And I don't want to hear "at least you go to ride". It's worse now knowing what I may never get to ride again.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 09:08:15 PM »
I suppose what hacks me most is the nonresponse I've gotten from my email to HFE. They don't want to talk about or address the change publically it seems.

From emmabugsmama's report, it sounds like it's changing day to day. If they put anything out publicly, it probably wouldn't be accurate by the time it was read.

I'm 5'10", and probably pushing 270 at the moment. My belly is big, but my thighs aren't fat; they're huge in a muscular way, and always have been. I could leg press 750 pounds when I weighed 148 in high school.

My fat belly will give way for the bar, but if they're cranking it down that tight on the thighs, I might be a no-go too.

The is me, I have a Sherman Tank frame. My calves are huge and pants legs fit tight around them all supported by size 14 feet.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:09:26 PM by chittlins »

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2013, 10:38:03 PM »
I forgot to mention they had cubbys in the station.  That may be old news but it had been a couple months since we had been

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »
Sceamscape share an official response from SDC that confirms the more restrictive restraints and places it on RMC. Screamscape says the change was just an inch which does not match what's been posted here. Maybe they changed it more during the week. It seems the big issue is the shin bar. To accommodate larger and taller legs it seems they need more space between the lap and shin bar, or another way of saying it is the shin bar needs to be lowed to accomodate knee bends better as seen in this photo

Another improvement would be to have more space under the seat.

Sadly, I have no confidence that these trains will be modified and we are stuck with this issue but future trains at other parks will be just swell.  The best I could hope for is a row or two of retrofits per train in the less popular areas.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:44:51 AM by chittlins »

Sungod

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2013, 09:10:31 AM »
Am I the only one who tucks my feet back so I'm on my tiptoes when riding this?  It's the only way I can get my legs in with that shin bar. My feet have never been flat on the floor.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2013, 09:39:56 AM »
Am I the only one who tucks my feet back so I'm on my tiptoes when riding this?  It's the only way I can get my legs in with that shin bar. My feet have never been flat on the floor.

No, my heels were about an inch, inch and a half off due to the shin bar being tied into the waist. My balls of my feet were fine and it wasn't awful. A lower placement of the shin bar would go along way to remedy that. Another fix would be pads placed in the inside of the bar that runs from the shin bar and lap bar. Encapsulated memory foam would do the trick as it would compress and allow the same width but decrease bruising that some complain about.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
What is this SF incident that folks are referring to?

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2013, 11:43:58 AM »
What is this SF incident that folks are referring to?

A rider was ejected and fell and died from the new Texas Giant. RMC did the rebuild using their track system (but different from OR) It did not use RMC trains like those on OR but Gerstlauer trains.

I once worked in the lab of the manufacturer of the OEM wheels that were on the Ford Explorer roll off event, I know all about CYA and others looking for someone elder to blame. That was a stressful couple of months.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2013, 09:57:43 PM »
In my opinion Lance at Screamscape is over-reacting. Like I've said before, there is a right and wrong way to approach this issue, and we simply must be understanding of what the park and manufacturer are going through to make sure there is no risk to anyone's safety. It sucks for everyone, but the only proper thing to do is voice your concerns civilly and let the park and manufacturer work it out as they are able to. 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2013, 10:10:56 PM »
Also, just a heads up: it sounds like Robb Alvey over at TPR is planning to bash this site pretty heavily in the next TPR update. The crew is at SDC this weekend doing on of the TPR-led tours of parks across the midwest. Apparently he thinks we've all been over here complaining and digging at the park over the restraint changes. Obviously that isn't true and he's trying to stir up trouble. Honestly, that man just loves his drama. He'll ban people over the slightest infraction and claim that he wants to keep TPR free of drama, but then turns around and pulls stunts like this whenever he gets the chance.

It's not worth getting into, and I certainly don't want to see anyone from SDCFans respond to it. I do plan on calling him out on it, but of course it's just going to result in me being banned and he'll keep playing his games. Please just ignore it and lets focus on promoting the park's image and leading positive discussions.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2013, 10:30:31 PM »
It stinks that the park finds itself needing to make such adjustments, but I think we all appreciate their constantly looking out for the well-being of their customers.  I've seen lesser parks who repair rides using duct tape.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »
Also, just a heads up: it sounds like Robb Alvey over at TPR is planning to bash this site pretty heavily in the next TPR update. The crew is at SDC this weekend doing on of the TPR-led tours of parks across the midwest. Apparently he thinks we've all been over here complaining and digging at the park over the restraint changes. Obviously that isn't true and he's trying to stir up trouble. Honestly, that man just loves his drama. He'll ban people over the slightest infraction and claim that he wants to keep TPR free of drama, but then turns around and pulls stunts like this whenever he gets the chance.

It's not worth getting into, and I certainly don't want to see anyone from SDCFans respond to it. I do plan on calling him out on it, but of course it's just going to result in me being banned and he'll keep playing his games. Please just ignore it and lets focus on promoting the park's image and leading positive discussions.

I've been critical no doubt. Only because I want the place to be as inclusive as it can be.