Author Topic: The NEW Oceans of Fun  (Read 10959 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: The NEW Oceans of Fun
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 02:35:08 PM »
Pools are the money pit of any city, but they are needed to keep people in the community.  Many of these pools that are putting in water park type things are buying them from parks that are remodeling or rt hey are getting grants for them in addition to adding from their own pot. 

The ones in our area have been backed by tax votes. So that is a funding mechanism.  There has been nothing used in the ones in this area, it all new. The Rogers one even put some effort into the visual appearance of it. Check it out on Facebook it's Rogers aquatic center. I know they are close to pulling the trigger on a wave pool next year, a 15 to 20, thousand square ft one.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 03:11:11 PM »
Pools are the money pit of any city, but they are needed to keep people in the community.

Replacing the city pool in Texarkana TX would have cost over a million dollars. It had been closed for years because they couldn't afford the needed maintenance.

Instead, the local Rotary Club held a fundraiser and built a big splash pad on the same site (with the city fronting part of the money, to be repaid by private donations), for about a quarter million. It's hugely popular, and serves the same purpose without the huge maintenance and liability headaches.

Across town, the Arkansas side still has a pool, and a local hotel owner is building a full water park next to his hotel, which is in a city business development park.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »
Holiday Springs in Texarkana and it seems to be running late:

http://www.holidayspringswaterpark.com/

I've thought that was the way to go in NWA and there were several proposed, with one being at the Lowell exit on 540. But the land didn't have sewer yet and it got delayed and then the 08 collapse happened. The other one was an actual artificial whitewater course in Fayetteville. It's interesting that some of the older proposals are starting to breathe again behind the scenes. These muni facilities make investment in larger private facilities harder to justify and that's a downside but cities got impatient and want to increase their quality of life and marketability.

NWA is also getting a Children's Museum adjacent to Crystal Bridges, another project that rose from the financial crisis ashes. Thanks, former Walmart CEO H. Lee Scott.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 05:28:38 PM »
Saw the promo stuff for the Children's Museum recently in Bentonville. Walked through the 21C Hotel there and saw the galleries. Some pretty far out there modern "art" that even Crystal Bridges has not embraced. A good complement to Crystal Bridges, though. Rogers recently opened a water park, and the Rogers Museum has a kids section, too. Was sorry years ago to see the water park for Lowell fade out, it would have been nice. I wonder if NW AR can support a private theme or water park of some kind? The Bentonville concerts in the park series had Kenny Loggins recently, and the AMP will have ZZ Top soon, and some other big names. This area of the state is really doing well with stuff like this. Strongest economic area of the state. Glad that's the case, cause I live here. Just rambling. Back to our regularly scheduled thread... :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 09:32:29 PM »
Saw the promo stuff for the Children's Museum recently in Bentonville. Walked through the 21C Hotel there and saw the galleries. Some pretty far out there modern "art" that even Crystal Bridges has not embraced. A good complement to Crystal Bridges, though. Rogers recently opened a water park, and the Rogers Museum has a kids section, too. Was sorry years ago to see the water park for Lowell fade out, it would have been nice. I wonder if NW AR can support a private theme or water park of some kind? The Bentonville concerts in the park series had Kenny Loggins recently, and the AMP will have ZZ Top soon, and some other big names. This area of the state is really doing well with stuff like this. Strongest economic area of the state. Glad that's the case, cause I live here. Just rambling. Back to our regularly scheduled thread... :)

Cr

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 11:21:28 PM »

I wonder if NW AR can support a private theme or water park of some kind?

NWA has so much natural water that's so easily accessible, that it probably limits the market.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 08:33:44 AM »

NWA has so much natural water that's so easily accessible, that it probably limits the market.

Two different things.  One as little to do with the other.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 06:53:29 PM »

"Let's go get wet and cool off" is pretty much the goal of both.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 10:12:54 PM »

"Let's go get wet and cool off" is pretty much the goal of both.

State managed hauled in sand beaches in swim areas in green water that gets fishy come Mid July vs. water slides and wave pools that doesn't have turds floating in the coves or  drunk folks bent over the rail of the pontoon dry heaving from copious amounts of Keystone. Lake was murky and trashy most of May to mid June from the high water and snaky too. Most folks out on the lake aren't going to a water park unless they have kids and they will if they do.  Lake is fantastic for boating and fishing but that gets expensive as well. A ten mile run in a 22ft. Crownline runs twenty bucks in fuel.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Water parks and boating? We agree there, one has little to do with the other.

When I said NWA has plenty of natural water, I wasn't thinking man-made lakes.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »
Problem with a lot of these things is there is just too dang many people. I need to find a secret spot that is out of the way that not too many people know about. Any recomendations?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 11:28:50 AM »
White Water Branson.  yuck yuck yuck. :P
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 12:57:02 PM »
Now, Swoosh, be nice (Yeah, I get the joke.)  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 04:11:13 PM »
Water parks and boating? We agree there, one has little to do with the other.

When I said NWA has plenty of natural water, I wasn't thinking man-made lakes.

You mean the White River, I'm less than a 5 minute walk from my front door to that one. The Mulberry? Buffalo? Kings? It really is two different kinda activities that usually appeal to mostly to different folks. I'll tell you what would do well in IMO, is a manmade Whitewater course like I've posted about before. The water is getting low again with this two week break in rain. All streams around here is dependent on timely rain to remain floatable. The last two years have been miserable for that.

Swoosh, you say Whitewater, yeah maybe, but that's just out range to be a place to visit in the afternoons and be home at supper time.  I'm shocked that Sclitterban hasn't hit this area up on marketing. It's less than 4 hrs to the gate and with Arkansas finally doing their part of the Bella Vista bypass, it'll be all interstate to KC and I-49 will run down to Ft. Smith. The name change has been approved already and old 71 is now signed 49 to Pineville. This area is growing, it's not letting up and housing is taking off again.