Poll

How would you like to see the Geyser Gulch area re-themed?

Rube Dugan's Magic of Flight
15 (25.4%)
Fire Station
6 (10.2%)
Fireworks Factory
24 (40.7%)
Other
6 (10.2%)
Leave it alone
8 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: SDC's 2014 Projects and Changes  (Read 103627 times)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2014 Projects and Changes
« Reply #255 on: September 15, 2014, 03:12:15 PM »
Good idea at a reasonable cost. Now will they do away with the cubbyholes at the individual rides? It sure would speed up throughput.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 15, 2014, 06:58:23 PM »

BobKrause

• View Profile
    • Facebook - Bob Krause
« Reply #257 on: September 15, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »
could not get pics to download..  check this link..??

https://www.facebook.com/lorrie.crumb/media_set?set=a.10203879779826405.1073741882.1578260143&type=3

Unfortunately, I get "This content is currently unavailable The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page." You might need to change the permissions on that photo page to Public so people other than your FB friends can see it.

Bob

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #258 on: September 15, 2014, 11:10:07 PM »
Meh, that's the thing though. For a season or two they'll be an optional convenience, but then just like SF they'll probably slip away the station cubbies in the name of "efficiency" so it just turns into essentially another $3 hidden fee. Once a system like this is in place, it opens the door for someone at corporate to come along and ask how they can squeeze even more cash out of it. The price will probably tick upward at that point too...

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I'm constantly seeing nickle and diming in this industry and I always have held SDC as a shining example of a park that rises above those practices. Hopefully I'm just blowing smoke on this though.

Did the park not already have 25-cent lockers at the hospitality house?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #259 on: September 16, 2014, 05:59:57 AM »
The lockers were 50c one time use.  Those have all been replaced (mainly due to needing to be replaced in the first place -- a lot of the lockers around the park were out of order and needed to be upgraded anyway)
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #260 on: October 19, 2014, 08:30:32 PM »
I know a lot of the Old Time Christmas festival is out of theme, but for some reason it still works.  It's romantic.  It's endearing.  It's enchanting.

I even see that Rudolph is actually in theme for the most part, but it looks like his parade will feature a Rudolph-costumed character riding in...a car?  That's blatantly outside of the theme of an 1880s park and is unnecessary.  Even in the Rankin-Bass TV special, they use older modes of transportation.  It would have been nice to have seen some of these ideas transferred to the festivities at SDC.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #261 on: October 19, 2014, 08:41:54 PM »
Yup, that was simply lazy of them for anyone paying attention. It's not a huge deal, it's just one of those little things you notice that shows that corporate doesn't get the park's vision and is just lumping everything "old-timey" together for the "theme". The only reason things like this bother me is that later on when there are more blatant and annoying breaks in theme they can point to stuff like this and say "well, we've already got these other breaks in theme, so why worry about one more..."

It could be part of the Rudolph IP though. Maybe it shows up in one of the newer TV specials?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:43:45 PM by shavethewhales »

Clanouper

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 06, 2014, 07:52:18 AM »
I agree with more kids rides. The twins are finally tall enough to rude pretty much anything, but Anna is only 18 months old.  The ladybugs bore her.  I'm not even sure a what the point of having that ride is. I see many 45 minute wait times for the frogs in the near future.