Author Topic: What is this Ride? (Gandy Dancer)  (Read 14349 times)

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: What is this Ride? (Gandy Dancer)
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 08:59:17 AM »
I'm assuming this is gone now that they built river blast.  :(

The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

pintrader

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 09:08:19 AM »
It was gone well before they built River Blast.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 07:06:45 PM »
Gandy Dancer was moved to the future River Blast area, but saw little guest interaction due to being so hidden in the woods behind the carousel barn.

The self-propelled ride was stuck in the Sawyer's Landing area along with the balloon ride (now being reconstructed in the 2015 Fireman's Landing addition, the small Ferris wheel, a tiny kiddie coaster, and the beloved carousel (now Hugo and Mary's Carousel in Half Dollar Holler.

I was in high school when the Gandy Dancer was moved to the area from across the road, near the Lost River, so I was too big to ever ride it.  I would love to have something like this in my back yard, though, though I'm not sure how difficult it was to maintain or to propel. 

When the tracks were moved, their former piece of land was used as a sledding area for the first Old Time Christmas, so that may give a timeline for the move.  Snow machines covered the ground with slippery white stuff, and kids were treated to actual sledding on old-time sleds with rails.  The hillside was certainly not a steep grade.

The ride was only open for a year or two in its final location, and was removed during construction of River Blast.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

MattPaasch

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 11:53:26 PM »
Well, on Sunday (03/24/19) I discovered one of the old Gandy Dancer carts still being used for flowers. You'll find it right across from the guest relations building before the park entrance.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 09:11:08 PM »
Yup, it's hard to miss once you first notice it. I always look for it now. One of the few remaining homages to an old ride. I wonder if most of the PTB/workers even realize that it was part of an old ride.