Author Topic: 2013 Attendance (Split Topic)  (Read 43480 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Attendance (Split Topic)
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2013, 09:08:39 PM »
OK OK OK!!!

Time to go back into the history books,,,!!!  What is the biggest attendance day that you know of???

Because today---7-27-2013, as of 9pm...  there were.........................................

.........23,135 people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Now that's an awesome number and the PTB should be thrilled!!!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2013, 12:46:34 AM »
Biggest day I remember from my time on park, 20,000 people. That was about 79 or 80. Hot, peoples shoes leaving imprints on the asphalt, long lines everywhere, park running short on supplies. elbow to elbow on the streets. Not a fun day.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2013, 02:59:03 AM »
Biggest day I remember from my time on park, 20,000 people. That was about 79 or 80. Hot, peoples shoes leaving imprints on the asphalt, long lines everywhere, park running short on supplies. elbow to elbow on the streets. Not a fun day.

And not a single coaster except FITH, and no way across town except two-lane 76 with no protected left turns.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2013, 09:48:12 AM »
OK OK OK!!!

Time to go back into the history books,,,!!!  What is the biggest attendance day that you know of???

Because today---7-27-2013, as of 9pm...  there were.........................................

.........23,135 people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Now that's an awesome number and the PTB should be thrilled!!!

That's what low 80s and sunny at the end of July gets you. Local markets(3 hr or less drives) flocked to the city with extended hours. That was forecasted for about a week and boom it happened.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2013, 09:53:18 AM »
Your are right Chittlins..  BOOM it happened,, and rain all day Friday I am sure helped sat numbers, although it  looks like rain there today too...  so total weekend count may only be so-so,  but MAN!!  what a day staurday would have been..

Final unofficial "Official" count for Sat.,,,  23,123

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »
I honestly do not intend to go back duning midnight madness.   Christmas is crazy but the lights and entertainment make up for it.  This is a different story.
Mhguy was going to be there today, we will see what he has to say about the crowd!!

I parked in preferred but the parking when I left was completely full, I saw nothing open anywhere. The lower sliver of a parking lot in the middle of the loop was even full, they must have been parking people on off property lots.  The lines were through the full q's and out the doors, AP line went all the way out to the observation bridge in front.  Outlaw run was all the was out to the snack bar.  This was at 3:15  Crazyness.
Not going on another Saturday in the summer for a while.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2013, 01:08:48 PM »

December 1st, 2012 we were over 24.  The 2nd was right up there too.
SWOOSH

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2013, 10:27:12 AM »
Sounds like a perfect combination of a break in bad weather, low temperature, just before school starts, Moonlight Madness, and of course it was the weekend.  ;D

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2013, 11:13:56 AM »
So Swoosh, what was dec 1 & 2?

was that the rollout weekend for OR? ..

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2013, 12:02:33 PM »
If we hadn't made a spur-of-the-moment trip to Memphis last weekend I would try to convince DH to make a day trip to SDC on Sunday. Should be wonderful weather; congrats to all of you going!

What ya do in my half hometown? I was back home two weeks ago for Robert Plant and to fetch some good watermelons. Got a couple of 40lb. Yellow meats that were wonderful.

We went for a day to watch Carp' pitch for the Redbirds. :)

I was there this Spring on a ~400 attendance day, and it was pretty nice! Also been there in the Winter on a low day like that.

But back on topic: As part of the "local" we too would have gone down for that wonderful weather if we didn't already have plans.  I'm glad the City had a great weekend!! It seems like they needed it. Hopefully they can get a bit more of that in the next week or so as the temps stay mild and folks are looking for the last things to do before schools start up all too soon.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »
So Swoosh, what was dec 1 & 2?

was that the rollout weekend for OR? ..

Unseasonably warm temperatures.  It was crazy.  Felt like an early fall day that weekend.
SWOOSH

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2013, 08:52:30 AM »
We were there Saturday from 8:30 to about 6:00, and the crowd was staggering but it did not feel like the most crowded I've seen it.  Sure, the lines were long, but we weren't riding coasters.  The only really long line was for LROTO, but only the youngest wanted to ride, so the rest of us sat and people watched for 45 minutes.  We hit the train station just before a train came in, and we didn't make the next one, but we did get the second one--we've waited longer during OTC when they were running two trains.  (Side Note:  we rode behind #43 for the first time this year, all our previous trips having been behind #13.)  We got off the train and went right to FM, and the end of that line was on the bridge, but it moved quickly.  (The music was turned up really load:  we could hear it well for the first time this year.)  Again, the line wasn't onerous.

I think part of this was that there were really at least TWO crowds there Saturday:  when we left, as many people were coming in as leaving.  There seemed to be an early crowd and a late one, so, depsite the high numbers, not all of them were there the whole time.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 10:25:03 AM »
Interesting observations palallin! :)

You're experience reminds me a lot of Old Time Christmas. There is the day time crowd which leave just after sunset, and then there is a nighttime crowd which arrive after dark.

dkparks

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 07:56:54 PM »
We were there on 7-27 and heard basically the same attendance number. We arrived at 8:40 am and left about 12 hours later. Only seen it that busy during Christmas. We brought our daughter and son-in-law for their first trip and brought our granddaughter for her second trip. Our kids were a little over whelmed by the crowds but we kept finding things to do that were non rides. I did ride a couple TnT, PK and WF with my daughter. Didn't get to ride Outlaw Run, disappointed about that. We headed back there first thing and while waiting for it to open for the day, walked back to drop off our mugs with rest of the family and they were tending to my granddaughter. She was walking near the rock wall across from Crossroads Pizza and cut her leg open on a rock sticking out. Sliced it open. EMS staff was great. First time ever we needed them, thank goodness. By the time we were finished taking care of her, the wait for OR was basically 2 hours all day. Couldn't justify taking that much time away from the family on their first trip to the City. One other interesting note, we always hand over some loot to Alfie and Ralfie. There were more people handing over loot this time that I have ever seen. A passenger even asked what they do with the money and that is the first time I have ever seen them break character and tell them where it goes. I always try to give a little to Share it Forward. Was told the reason for the heavy crowd was due to Friday's weather being so bad they gave out rain checks to quite a few folks. Also talked to several citizens on Saturday who had problems getting to work due to the crowds. That explained why I saw so man managers working some of the stores.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2013, 10:31:30 AM »
Wow, it sounds like it was quite a day dkparks!

Ironically, Outlaw Run seems to capture most of the crowds which leaves ThuNderaTion, Wildfire, and even PowderKeg more accessible. There have been times when I visited on a Saturday, and could walk right on some of those. I'm glad to hear that the staff, and even character actors were opened armed, and very welcoming. :)